• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Speakers Would You Like Amir To Measure Next?

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Golden ear triton 5
One of the Goldenear's was measured by Stereophile. They all use the same tweeter I believe. It measures rather poorly above 10k, rather choppy. Having demo'd the Triton 1's I can say I was not impressed with their sound. Of perhaps greater concern, the bass, which is powered, sounded disconnected while still being a little tubby. Just not happy all around with them.

Sokel

Master Contributor
This feels like a thread without any point to it at all.
It shouldn't be though.
Speakers are the most important (along with the room) component of sound,their measurements are always only a (strong nevertheless) indication and the most interesting ones are either too big/too heavy/too expensive,companies are not confident,owners are afraid of transport hazard and cost,etc.

The only meaningful thing we can do is push manufacturers to measure them by third parties (unlikely for the most of them) and report the full results.
What Amir does so far is heroic,lets hope we see more people and companies send him more and different kind of speakers.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It shouldn't be though.
Speakers are the most important (along with the room) component of sound,their measurements are always only a (strong nevertheless) indication and the most interesting ones are either too big/too heavy/too expensive,companies are not confident,owners are afraid of transport hazard and cost,etc.

The only meaningful thing we can do is push manufacturers to measure them by third parties (unlikely for the most of them) and report the full results.
What Amir does so far is heroic,lets hope we see more people and companies send him more and different kind of speakers.
Absolutely, I share your appreciation for what is done here and I concur, without more companies sending in speakers we won't really see much measured. Only the few that Amir can himself buy and the few that members send in. If I wasn't in Canada I would have sent speakers in, but we get killed having to pay duties at the border getting our products back home from the US. I had my little Q5S tested by Amir and sadly with the way duties worked out it cost me I think closing in on $90 dollars to get my device from customs. Wasn't Amir's fault at all, just how the border works. If it crosses it and you have to declare it, they want to get paid. I can only imagine what it would be had I sent my Monitor Audio PL200 for testing!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, I share your appreciation for what is done here and I concur, without more companies sending in speakers we won't really see much measured. Only the few that Amir can himself buy and the few that members send in. If I wasn't in Canada I would have sent speakers in, but we get killed having to pay duties at the border getting our products back home from the US. I had my little Q5S tested by Amir and sadly with the way duties worked out it cost me I think closing in on $90 dollars to get my device from customs. Wasn't Amir's fault at all, just how the border works. If it crosses it and you have to declare it, they want to get paid. I can only imagine what it would be had I sent my Monitor Audio PL200 for testing!
Yes, very sticky business it is. I telephoned Canada Border Services and they explained the procedure for designating a package as for test. There is paperwork involved on both ends of the shipping. So the shipper on each end must fill out the documents and then hope it gets through without duty charges on the return trip back to Canada. There is also a method of applying to Canada Border Services for a refund due to the unit only going for a test. I sent in headphones for test and I decided to just gift them to @amirm because I don't like the sound quality and I did not want to do the paperwork. :D

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Yes, very sticky business it is. I telephoned Canada Border Services and they explained the procedure for designating a package as for test. There is paperwork involved on both ends of the shipping. So the shipper on each end must fill out the documents and then hope it gets through without duty charges on the return trip back to Canada. There is also a method of applying to Canada Border Services for a refund due to the unit only going for a test. I sent in headphones for test and I decided to just gift them to @amirm because I don't like the sound quality and I did not want to do the paperwork. :D
Those must have been some stinky sounding headphones!

EasyC

Forum Donor
Eve audio, another Adam cousin, interested in the SC205. Powered speakers, 5” woofer.
DSP, some positive reviews. But an interesting brand I think.

userb

Eve audio, another Adam cousin, interested in the SC205. Powered speakers, 5” woofer.
DSP, some positive reviews. But an interesting brand I think.
Eve sound like big bluetooth speakers, I work in a studio with a pair of 305s as nearfields. I've never heard speakers sound more nearfield in comparison to the mains besides NS10s for obvious reasons. If you want something that can reproduce the sound of acoustic music look elsewhere.

EasyC

Forum Donor
Eve sound like big bluetooth speakers, I work in a studio with a pair of 305s as nearfields. I've never heard speakers sound more nearfield in comparison to the mains besides NS10s for obvious reasons. If you want something that can reproduce the sound of acoustic music look elsewhere.
I heard other opinions, but I'd really like to see some measurements ;-)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those must have been some stinky sounding headphones!
These ones.>>>
57092_l_1.jpg

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It shouldn't be though.

I think he meant that this thread is pointless because regardless of our wishes, @amirm only reviews products that are sent to him - his list is long, his time is short, and he does not actively reach out to speaker companies to solicit review samples. If we want a specific speaker reviewed, it is on us to arrange for its delivery to Amir. So this thread's wishlist is pointless to the degree that it leads to Amir actually reviewing anything that happens to be on it!

Maybe a better thread would be "I can send these speakers to ASR, is there any interest in its review?" That way, every speaker on that list potentially can make its way to Amir if there's enough interest to justify the owner's efforts.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I think he meant that this thread is pointless because regardless of our wishes, @amirm only reviews products that are sent to him - his list is long, his time is short, and he does not actively reach out to speaker companies to solicit review samples. If we want a specific speaker reviewed, it is on us to arrange for its delivery to Amir. So this thread's wishlist is pointless to the degree that it leads to Amir actually reviewing anything that happens to be on it!

Maybe a better thread would be "I can send these speakers to ASR, is there any interest in its review?" That way, every speaker on that list potentially can make its way to Amir if there's enough interest to justify the owner's efforts.
Yes, this. Plus seriously, what an absolutely wishful, least effort way to get something done for our own personal gain this thread would be if it worked as it sounds like people want. You simply make a single post telling what you want measured, and magically Amir and the few staff do everything else to make it happen. It seems like a pretty pointless thread if I am to be honest. I would be curious if a single review done by Amir was the result of a post in this thread. Possibly, I can't know one way or the other, but I would be more than surprised.

Top Bottom