• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speakers have some of the best value in the $2-3k price point?

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the 2-3k range is tough because diminishing returns have heavily set in already, at least for bookshelf speakers. The BMR, M106 and R3 are the main contenders in that range, not sure if you've heard all of them. I personally think the M126be is the next decent step up from the M16 and you can actually get them in the 2-3k range from many dealers, have you listened to those?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like most of the speakers I've heard are a terrible value. They might fit the price range but they always sound way worse than those great value gem speakers that sound much much better for the same price. I imagine there are only a few speakers in each price range that are like this. Most of which are probably not talked about. What speakers have you heard that are so cheap that you think they could be 3-5 times the value and still be worth it? I ask this mainly because I've been searching for speakers in the under $3000 range but my Revel M16's are such a good value speaker that nothing I've heard so far impressed me. The only speakers I've heard that were really a big jump from the M16's were $5000+. Way out of the price range but I feel like there is something in the $2k-$3k comparable to those expensive speakers it's just no one talks about it or I haven't heard them.

As others have implied, almost everything else is going to be a sidegrade. Do you use room correction/subwoofers? Are the speakers you've mentioned listening speakers you've heard in your own home?

Bass tuning alone can have a dramatic impact on sound, and if you haven't done this it will almost surely have a bigger impact than almost any speaker update. If you listened to the $5000 speakers in a better room, there's a good chance that you simply liked them more because of the room. I personally don't much trust listening impressions that aren't in my own room or space I'm very familiar with and/or have listened to many speakers in.

Imo most of the speakers mentioned in this threads are not going to get all that much better from unless you're opting for something much bigger for better dynamics or with drastically different directivity (directivity in the lower mids in particular). In terms of frequency and response and directivity, you're hitting diminishing returns hard at this price point.

Some speakers that IMO offer something significantly different from what you've heard:

* The Buchardt A500 are above your budget, but may be worth considering given their return policy. They do have some neat directivity tricks and Imo are one of the few speakers that are going to be substantially different from what you've mentioned because of their significantly tunable sound and sorta-kinda-not-really cardiod bass.
* I'll echo @stevenswall with a recommendation for the Devialet Phantoms. Super bass, fairly unique directivity -- wide and approaching omnidirectional for much of the frequency range.
* The JBL L82 Classic are mostly neutral with a bit of a bite to them and dispersion that's fairly similar to the revels in overall width, but I think it approaches constant directivity a little better. They have an 8-inch woofer which should help give them more dynamics than most of the other bookshelf models.

Alternatively, it could be worth opting for a relatively cheap floorstanding model instead, even if it's not 'high-end'. Maybewhat you're missing is more dynamics and less compression (although this could also be mitigated to a significant degree with a sub).

I'd also echo the recommendation to look for a better Revel speaker if you already like what they do.

Mind you, there's still some degree of taste involved too of course. I personally think there are very few bookshelf speakers I think are a significan't upgrade over the less than <$1000 Focal Chora 806 and Polk R200 (both with a sub), short of the D&D 8C.

The Bmrs have super wide dispersion. In the right room they should sound really atmospheric but in most rooms I think the revels would be preferable. Both excellent designs though.
Note BingaMoon said vertical dispersion. I don't remember which is better but the BMRs do have relatively narrow vertical dispersion. I don't mind this but some might.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For $2650, you can get the Neumann 2x KH80 + KH750 sub package. These are fantastic for nearfield; I have not used them for a room.

I have seen the Revel F208 and F206 used for under $3k. You can also find various used Salk's for under $3k. heck, brand new F206 is $3500.

In all the shopping I did recently the BMRs, mentioned above, did look like an awful good deal for their FR. I have not heard them. I ended up getting some perfect condition open-box F228be for $6,500.
I got new F208's for just a hair over $3000.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BMR towers are now $3700 plus shipping. So above the price range.

For some reason, I thought they were $3,200. Still above budget, but my justification was based on something that could provide a realistic "upgrade". Having heard "end game" speakers, I have to say it doesn't really get that much better than the M16. Tonality and integration improves subtlety, but the only major improvements are extension and output. The BMR tower is the cheapest speaker I know that offers close to full range performance. M16 + subs negates it, though.

Two $1,000-$1,500 (HSU, PSA, Rythmik, SVS) subwoofers is probably the best upgrade for the money.

JRS

Major Contributor
I don't visit audio dealers much these days so not exposed to a lot of new gear, but one speaker that left an impression (Listen Up, ABQ, NM) were the Golden Ear Triton 2+. Now these retail for 4450/pr. but I checked and saw that they have a similar speaker, the Triton 3 for just about 3k. They use much of the same tech, only less of it, so it may be that the only thing sacrificed is the ultimate volume. I played the Triton 2+ at very high levels w/o any signs of distress (except the salesperson who broke out in a sweat--why these weenies never plumb the limits of their gear is beyond me) and therefore imagine that the 3's are pretty capable in that dept as well. They also incorporate onboard amps for the subwoofer(s)--800 W for the Triton 3 per side.

What I loved is that they threw a wide and coherent soundfield capable of teleportation to venues big and small, had a lot of grunt and sounded sweet across the spectrum. There are a lot of drivers but I felt the presentation to be seamless. Just to be fair, I auditioned some similarly priced Focal's and B&W's and felt it was no contest. Unfortunately, didn't have the opportunity to compare with the Revel 228Be that were a bit more.

I understand Sandy Lyle, the founder, is something of a colorful/controversial character, but I think he did a helluva job with this line. This is a very big sounding floor stander that needs no help with bass duties. If HT is your thing they also have a family of surrounds.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I think there's a good reason it's hard to find speakers $2K - $3K that seem like a good deal compared to the M16s. Those speakers are pretty well performing within the range of their frequency response, so the most important gain with a step up will be in the bass response. But you can handle bass response with a subwoofer (or subwoofers) better than what you will get from most full range speakers anyway.

With a budget of $2K - $3K you're better off adding a $1.5K subwoofer to a pair of M16s than blowing the budget on mains, so nothing out there really looks like good value. My own shopping in that range led me to KEF R3, which has more linearity and more even dispersion than the M16 at $2K for a pair....
Good floorstanders deliver bass above the range of subs. A bookshelf cannot compete against two 8 inch woofers when both are mated with sub if floorstander is well designed.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I don't visit audio dealers much these days so not exposed to a lot of new gear, but one speaker that left an impression (Listen Up, ABQ, NM) were the Golden Ear Triton 2+. Now these retail for 4450/pr. but I checked and saw that they have a similar speaker, the Triton 3 for just about 3k. They use much of the same tech, only less of it, so it may be that the only thing sacrificed is the ultimate volume. I played the Triton 2+ at very high levels w/o any signs of distress (except the salesperson who broke out in a sweat--why these weenies never plumb the limits of their gear is beyond me) and therefore imagine that the 3's are pretty capable in that dept as well. They also incorporate onboard amps for the subwoofer(s)--800 W for the Triton 3 per side.

What I loved is that they threw a wide and coherent soundfield capable of teleportation to venues big and small, had a lot of grunt and sounded sweet across the spectrum. There are a lot of drivers but I felt the presentation to be seamless. Just to be fair, I auditioned some similarly priced Focal's and B&W's and felt it was no contest. Unfortunately, didn't have the opportunity to compare with the Revel 228Be that were a bit more.

I understand Sandy Lyle, the founder, is something of a colorful/controversial character, but I think he did a helluva job with this line. This is a very big sounding floor stander that needs no help with bass duties. If HT is your thing they also have a family of surrounds.
I'll bet Tritons have terrible objective measurements.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mind you, there's still some degree of taste involved too of course. I personally think there are very few bookshelf speakers I think are a significan't upgrade over the less than <$1000 Focal Chora 806
Not that I think you'd disagree, but the S400 MKII should be a solid upgrade over the Chora 806. A heck of a lot more bass grunt (low, mid, and upper) and a bit easier on the ears in the treble region but still very detailed, from what I gather.

Other speakers in the $2-3k range worth looking at are the Arendal 1723's, the JBL 705P, perhaps the Paradigm Founder 40B and maybe the new PSB Synchrony B600 depending how well they do.

dshreter

Good floorstanders deliver bass above the range of subs. A bookshelf cannot compete against two 8 inch woofers when both are mated with sub if floorstander is well designed.
I agree, but at what price? Are there floorstanders for $2k - $3k with dual 8” woofers, good frequency response and controlled directivity?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but at what price? Are there floorstanders for $2k - $3k with dual 8” woofers, good frequency response and controlled directivity?
F208's

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't these $2500 per speaker. I assume the $2-3k is per pair.

Heck if they were $3k a pair I'd order some of the F208s right now. If you know where they are $3k a pair please spill the beans.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you use room correction/subwoofers? Are the speakers you've mentioned listening speakers you've heard in your own home?

Bass tuning alone can have a dramatic impact on sound, and if you haven't done this it will almost surely have a bigger impact than almost any speaker update.
+1. Assuming OP has M16s with a reasonable amp & source, adding DSP & 2-3 subs is probably the best upgrade available. Could even throw in a few acoustic treatments for $3k, probably with some cash left.

Shazb0t

The Ascend Acoustics Sierra Ribbon Towers are another great value in that price range. If you can find a gently used pair, the value is really hard to beat.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't these $2500 per speaker. I assume the $2-3k is per pair.

Heck if they were $3k a pair I'd order some of the F208s right now. If you know where they are $3k a pair please spill the beans.
Already have. I've even given the dealer's cell # to those who wanted it.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I think you'd disagree, but the S400 MKII should be a solid upgrade over the Chora 806. A heck of a lot more bass grunt (low, mid, and upper) and a bit easier on the ears in the treble region but still very detailed, from what I gather.

Other speakers in the $2-3k range worth looking at are the Arendal 1723's, the JBL 705P, perhaps the Paradigm Founder 40B and maybe the new PSB Synchrony B600 depending how well they do.

I hope to be testing it myself soon =]

atsmusic

At that price, buy used. You can get so much more for your money that way.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I got an used kef r7 in a good gondition for 2241 today usd, but im not from eeuu or uk, pretty low imho

Top Bottom