• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speakers have some of the best value in the $2-3k price point?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the original Triton Ones, bought in 2016 for $5,000 for the pair. When they came out, they had one of the flattest measurements up to 10k Hz that NRC had ever posted for a full-range speaker that was within reach of average consumers. The moderate action above 10k (above my hearing) has never been a noticeable issue for me, and there were larger trade-offs with all the speaker options at this price point, at least for my tastes. The Triton Ones stood out, and still do, for combining excellent bass dynamics and low-end range throughout the listening spectrum with detail, dynamics, and flat response. Being fairly efficient at 92 db is another plus, since they are easy to drive. There are more speaker options to choose from today that deliver decent bass and measure well throughout the listening spectrum, but these things still hold up. They will not, however, win any beauty contests.

fr_listeningwindow.gif

I get how the ribbon tweeter's vertical dispersion will not be to everyone's liking. The dispersion does not affect me, since I do all my critical listening seated within the optimal vertical axis, and I really like the sound.

For sure, though, thanks in part to the objectivist movement, there have been strong developments in this price range since 2016. (Allowing for inflation, I'd bump the price range up to $8K.) If I could afford to, I'd buy new speakers every 2-3 years, just to check them out. Very very happy with my Triton Ones, however.

One note -- on Tritons or any full-range speaker, a challenging thing is making sure you can find a placement that will suit both the bass management and your higher ranges while fitting reasonably into the listening room. Bass management is clearly easier when you are dealing with separate subwoofers that can be moved to ideal locations. So anyone looking at a full-range speaker will want to make sure they will be able to place them optimally. If you can't, there's no real point to going full range and you're probably better off with a satellite-sub arrangement.
I always liked this design. Quite advanced for the time, or even now. The small midranges are doubled so you get significant power handling. The vertically oriented AMT probably has a similar vertical/horizontal bias to the midrange array. The oblong woofers and custom passive radiators allow a lot of excursion in a very skinny cabinet. I'd like to see more speakers like this, honestly.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Read between the lines. Need to place head in a vice for the sweet spot. Another weird design like Magneplan.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Read between the lines. Need to place head in a vice for the sweet spot. Another weird design like Magneplan.
I own a pair of Goldenear Triton 7s (same basic design), and my head absolutely does not need to be in a vice.

MTM designs have been around for a long time, and have (like any other design) advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

Urvile

Unless you have money burning in your pocket, a little less than $2000, are the Polk R700 they are one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and they do measure well.

Open Mind Audio

Unless you have money burning in your pocket, a little less than $2000, are the Polk R700 they are one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and they do measure well.
Would love to hear those - they look great. Interesting that Sandy Gross, the founder and original driving force behind GoldenEar, also co-founded Polk and led its rise, back in the day, before he moved on to DefTech.

turbowrx1

I am auditioning Polk L200's right now and they are absolutely one of the best speakers I've heard. Amazing high end detail, fantastic midrange, suprising amount of bass. Polk really nailed it at least with these, L800's are questionable. I'd say pick up the l600's right now but I believe they are coming out with a revised line, which I just made a post about.

Top Bottom