• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speakers have some of the best value in the $2-3k price point?

BingaMoon

I feel like most of the speakers I've heard are a terrible value. They might fit the price range but they always sound way worse than those great value gem speakers that sound much much better for the same price. I imagine there are only a few speakers in each price range that are like this. Most of which are probably not talked about. What speakers have you heard that are so cheap that you think they could be 3-5 times the value and still be worth it? I ask this mainly because I've been searching for speakers in the under $3000 range but my Revel M16's are such a good value speaker that nothing I've heard so far impressed me. The only speakers I've heard that were really a big jump from the M16's were $5000+. Way out of the price range but I feel like there is something in the $2k-$3k comparable to those expensive speakers it's just no one talks about it or I haven't heard them.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate the app, but love the dispersion, and the sound is more tonally even than people like to assume since it's in vogue to bash Devialet as a "Lifestyle" company, but one I'd compare in that range to yours is the Devialet Phantom Reactor.

-Acoustically coaxial with great vertical dispersion and no lobes.
-Deeper bass.
-Volume level compensation for bass... It gets flatter as it goes up, and is boosted at low volumes. Sounds rich at low volumes as well as high volumes, though it does have issues if you turn it to max. One at max level is far too loud for me even in another room, so I never use them that way.

They do incredible bass and clear vocals, though they aren't going to fill a large room with bass as deep as a subwoofer effectively.

1633120609589.jpeg

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think there's a good reason it's hard to find speakers $2K - $3K that seem like a good deal compared to the M16s. Those speakers are pretty well performing within the range of their frequency response, so the most important gain with a step up will be in the bass response. But you can handle bass response with a subwoofer (or subwoofers) better than what you will get from most full range speakers anyway.

With a budget of $2K - $3K you're better off adding a $1.5K subwoofer to a pair of M16s than blowing the budget on mains, so nothing out there really looks like good value. My own shopping in that range led me to KEF R3, which has more linearity and more even dispersion than the M16 at $2K for a pair....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@BingaMoon indulge us, what did you like for $5k. Have you listened to the M106? LS50 Meta with subs is a nice setup, but getting subs to work right isn't easy.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might try listening to some active speakers. Kali in-8 v2, genelec 8040b, Adam a7x with Adam sub. Different experience, more sound customizability, very linear.

The revels are basically close to perfect passive designs. They kind of do everything right. The only passive speakers that will be significantly better will be bigger speakers with more output. Competitors like KEF aren't better just different.

Revel f206 might be a good upgrade but they are not quite as linear as what you have. The headroom probably makes up for that though.

radix

Major Contributor
For $2650, you can get the Neumann 2x KH80 + KH750 sub package. These are fantastic for nearfield; I have not used them for a room.

I have seen the Revel F208 and F206 used for under $3k. You can also find various used Salk's for under $3k. heck, brand new F206 is $3500.

In all the shopping I did recently the BMRs, mentioned above, did look like an awful good deal for their FR. I have not heard them. I ended up getting some perfect condition open-box F228be for $6,500.

OP
B

BingaMoon

@BingaMoon indulge us, what did you like for $5k. Have you listened to the M106? LS50 Meta with subs is a nice setup, but getting subs to work right isn't easy.
I can't tell you. They were bookshelves and it might have been even more than $5k. It was in the big boy expensive room that I wasn't directed to when I said my price range. I should have asked. As for the M106 I haven't heard them but based on what I've read in this forum the people who have heard couldn't tell a difference and a good chunk of people preferred the M16's. I should give them a listen though.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I hate the app, but love the dispersion, and the sound is more tonally even than people like to assume since it's in vogue to bash Devialet as a "Lifestyle" company, but one I'd compare in that range to yours is the Devialet Phantom Reactor.

-Acoustically coaxial with great vertical dispersion and no lobes.
-Deeper bass.
-Volume level compensation for bass... It gets flatter as it goes up, and is boosted at low volumes. Sounds rich at low volumes as well as high volumes, though it does have issues if you turn it to max. One at max level is far too loud for me even in another room, so I never use them that way.

They do incredible bass and clear vocals, though they aren't going to fill a large room with bass as deep as a subwoofer effectively.

View attachment 156614
The good ol' loudness control.
Cool looking speaker.

OP
B

BingaMoon

For $2650, you can get the Neumann 2x KH80 + KH750 sub package. These are fantastic for nearfield; I have not used them for a room.

I have seen the Revel F208 and F206 used for under $3k. You can also find various used Salk's for under $3k. heck, brand new F206 is $3500.

In all the shopping I did recently the BMRs, mentioned above, did look like an awful good deal for their FR. I have not heard them. I ended up getting some perfect condition open-box F228be for $6,500.
I actually had the Neumann KH80 but they didn't go loud enough for me.

OP
B

BingaMoon

Philharmonic BMR Tower is one of (if not the best) value I can think of around that price point. 3 way with wider dispersion than the Revel, and 25Hz (-3dB) extension.
I've listened to the normal BMR and I actually still prefer the M16's. I'm no science guy so I don't understand what it means but I was told the vertical dispersion is better on the M16's and that's probably why I preferred them. I'd like to hear the towers though.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've listened to the normal BMR and I actually still prefer the M16's. I'm no science guy so I don't understand what it means but I was told the vertical dispersion is better on the M16's and that's probably why I preferred them. I'd like to hear the towers though.
The Bmrs have super wide dispersion. In the right room they should sound really atmospheric but in most rooms I think the revels would be preferable. Both excellent designs though.

OP
B

BingaMoon

How about keeping an eye or two out on accessories4less for Focal 926? I got mine brand new from them for $2100 (both speakers).
I was so disappointed with the Aria 906 that I've never tried anything else from them. Probably irrational though.

quattr0

lol I listened to Wilson SabrinaX and I thought that's a waste of money comparing w my 2k 926. The Wilson was well equipped with MSB Power amp (30k) MSB DAC (15k with extra modules) and Mcintosh Preamp that I forgot the model

whyfi

lol I listened to Wilson SabrinaX and I thought that's a waste of money comparing w my 2k 926. The Wilson was well equipped with MSB Power amp (30k) MSB DAC (15k with extra modules) and Mcintosh Preamp that I forgot the model
I'm a bid 926 fan too. How'd u get them from accessories4less for only 2k?!? They are over 3k up there now.

Chazz6

I was so disappointed with the Aria 906 that I've never tried anything else from them. Probably irrational though.
Tastes differ. I like them. Don't have comparative experience of any relevance, just like them. Even more after I switched from a Yamaha A-S501 to a Quicksilver Integrated to drive them. (I listen at moderate to moderate-low volumes.)

Top Bottom