• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speakers for good horizontal off-axis?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am looking at changing up the speakers in my room along with embracing getting the best overall response I can for my three seats instead of just my MLP.

I am also looking to pocket a little cash by selling my current Revel Be speakers to put towards a dedicated theater build.

Usage is almost exclusively movies/surround modes for TV and gaming. Volume is moderate all the way up to reference at times for movies.

The MLP is on axis for the LCR, with the left/right seats being about 22 degrees off axis.

I've been looking at either Folded Ribbon (Goldenear or Emotiva) or Coaxial (Hsu Research). But open to other suggestions or comments.

Urvile

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The Gallo Strada speakers with their CDT tweeter have a very wide dispersion (so watch out for early lateral reflections), they have a sound very reminiscent of Quad ESL's (which I consider a positive).

They are not a full range speaker - use with a sub. Sadly Gallo discontinued their full range designs - but if you are not averse to the used market, the Gallo reverence 3 (3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5) - are a bit of an orphan, and can be a bargain used. I run a pair.
Watch out for low impedances on some of these.. the CDT tweeter on some of these models drops to circa 1.6ohm, and on the full range models, it varies a little, but the 3.2 and earlier can down to 3 ohm - so you need an amp with a decent amount of current.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors and Towers, for very accurate wide dispersion.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies.

The issue with those more specific brands is I am also replacing my surrounds and Atmos speakers and want to try to stick to a brand that can fit all of the needs. For ribbon, this would seem Golden Ear since they have angled in ceiling speakers. For coaxial, it might be Kef but not sure on them (never heard them).

For traditional dome tweeter, it would most likely be Paradigm Premier but then it comes back to which is better up front for LCR: the folded ribbon or the dome tweeter (mainly movie/non-music usage)

Espiritiv

Why not go Triad LCR Silver or Gold, and use their INCEILING ROTATING SILVER/9 SAT for Atmos. They have huge rotation range and angles to get a good sweet spot. Not sure how good they are off axis but they seem to be a good for a dedicated room

DSJR

Major Contributor
Hopefully not talking out my backside on this occasion, but what about modern JBL's? They seem to have full ranges of suitable fronts, rears and I believe centres too and do seem to enjoy some power upo 'em as well... Just a thought, but the tweeter waveguides do seem to give wide dispersion I think and prices aren't outrageous?

retro

What improvements do you expect over your Revels..? You might regret swapping them out..

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I went with Paradigm 800f + 600c for LCR and Goldenear Supersat 3s + HTR 7000s for surround and atmos

Top Bottom