• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speakers does Lydia Tar have?

mkt

1668953754246.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Badly positioned ones. In that sense they are like one of my systems.

OP
mkt

mkt

Also unclear if she has more than one.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a symmetrical array. Tweeter in the middle?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
mkt

mkt

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting film, btw. You only realize something about the shooting perspective towards the end. You cheer for her anti-woke lecture (although it is mean - but I’ve seen worse in Master Class), but then she is unattractive personally and then…. Like Nabokov, it forces you into perspectives you might not otherwise take, but the arc is inevitable.

JPL

@mkt my bet is on Backes & Müller Line 50 (€ 119.900 / $130k). It's an active speaker made in Germany, which matches the setting while Lydia is in Berlin. I couldn't find much information or reviews, but it's a striking speaker. The image you posted from the film shows the left speaker. Later in the same scene the right speaker is shown with a close-up of the baffle. I didn't see any electronics.
BM-LINE50_02klrechts.jpg

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@mkt my bet is on Backes & Müller Line 50 (€ 119.900 / $130k). It's an active speaker made in Germany, which matches the setting while Lydia is in Berlin. I couldn't find much information or reviews, but it's a striking speaker. The image you posted from the film shows the left speaker. Later in the same scene the right speaker is shown with a close-up of the baffle. I didn't see any electronics.
View attachment 262302
D134CB62-7E98-49F3-93A4-69006D772E1F.jpeg

beeface

View attachment 262302
Nice detective work

kadajawi

Yeah, I was thinking B&M too. Never heard the 50, but the 25 and especially 35 were fantastic. They also didn't seem as sensitive to placement as other speakers, so placing them back there in the corner may not even be such a big issue. B&M has sensors measuring the position of the drivers and comparing them with where they should be, so that they can give a signal to correct it.

To me the 35 are endgame speakers, better than, say the B&W 801 D4. Though I'd need to hear them next to each other.

Herbert

Off-Topic, but about Tar: The subtleties of filmmaking,
A great conversation with dirctor Todd Field and DOP Florian Hoffmeister
about filming. It literally opens your eyes.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I just saw the movie on an airplane. Though my headphones are quite "good" (Sony 1000XM4), I wish I saw it at home with better sound system. I did have the question of the speakers and I am glad I found it here. Thanks!
However, there are other scenes that you might have found interesting. mIn one she "complains" that she is not getting vinyl as it is a big business. In another she tells the sound recording guy that she wants an mp3 version of the recording even though the engineer offers her a WAV, because she says she wants to listen what the buyers will probably listen to.
I found this article about the sound recording of the movie quite interesting:

Room_101

However, there are other scenes that you might have found interesting. mIn one she "complains" that she is not getting vinyl as it is a big business. In another she tells the sound recording guy that she wants an mp3 version of the recording even though the engineer offers her a WAV, because she says she wants to listen what the buyers will probably listen to.

One other moment which suggests audiophiles were involved in making this movie: in one scene, she refers to the unbearable "signal to noise ratio" of somebody's voice.

Top Bottom