• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What song to »Earth, Wind & Fire« your system?

Golf

Let’s assume you’re going to demonstrate the capabilities of your audio system to an innocent visitor – by playing an Earth, Wind & Fire song. And let’s further assume, you both hate »September« ;)

Just went through my Earth, Wind & Fire albums, and found it pretty hard to pick some perfect tunes for this.
Anyway. My short list goes like this:

• Fall In Love With Me (Album Powerlight)
• Pass You By (Album Illumination)
• The Changing Times (Album Raise!)

What would be your selection?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
EW&F wouldn't particularly be my first choice for a demo but perhaps the Megamix medley on their best of album?

OP
Golf

Golf

Thanks, but it should be an original and single tune by them.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who hates September?? That song is incredible

OP
Golf

Golf

I’d guess that »September« might be OK for visitors under 40 or so.

Age seems to be an important criteria here.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Golf this isn't a hypothetical scenario, is it?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let’s assume you’re going to demonstrate the capabilities of your audio system to an innocent visitor – by playing an Earth, Wind & Fire song. And let’s further assume, you both hate »September« ;)

Just went through my Earth, Wind & Fire albums, and found it pretty hard to pick some perfect tunes for this.
Anyway. My short list goes like this:

• Fall In Love With Me (Album Powerlight)
• Pass You By (Album Illumination)
• The Changing Times (Album Raise!)

What would be your selection?

I'm a long time EWF fan and their albums sound spectacular! In fact, in the 80s when my audiophile dad brought home big KEF 105.2 speakers and Carver amps, EWF was often the go-to demo to blow the minds of my friends :)

In The Stone is a terrific audio demo, the way it starts with that sort of distant progressing towards you march of synth and percussion, then just explodes in to a big soundstage of percussion and groove.

Really anything from All 'n All up to Powerlight is demo-worthy stuff!

BTW, have you listened to their 90's live album? Earth Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits Live (1995). It's an INCREDIBLE sounding live album. Tons of instruments, all beautifully clear and rich, wide frequency range, the sound is MASSIVE and concert-like, yet the vocals retain a very nice human quality too. The drum solo in Africana is amazing - it's been one of my test tracks for many years.

OP
Golf

Golf

I am tempted to pick just about any »Illumination« title, simply for their sound technical quality. But those tunes are not really typical for EW&F.

On the other hand, I just love the »Faces« album for its creative-musically strength – but not for its sound quality.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw EWF this summer with Santana. They don’t have a single song I’d use.

DonR

Major Contributor
They have not been the same since Maurice White (RIP) stopped performing. Many of the 70s/80s band members are also no longer with us.

OP
Golf

Golf

After all, maybe »September« is the best solution here. Most people know that song, and you might get a »Wow, I sure never heard it like this« from your visitor :)

OP
Golf

Golf

That is a truly weird mix of music. Kinda like Barry Manilow opening for Moterhead. :)
Yap – it seems to be strictly business, nothing else.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Why not?

Because you don't like their music?

You aren't making an inference from a concert this year to "therefore they have no demo-worthy tracks from past albums" are you?

Personally I've found that EWF is one of the most user-friendly demos I know of. Virtually everyone seems to be able to appreciate both the sound and the music.

Top Bottom