• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What portable headphone DAC/AMP to replace LG V20 (ES9218p)

daijoubu

Hi all, my first post here. I'm finally looking to move on from my V20 that I have been using with a KZ ZS3. My new phone will be the Samsung S10+, and sadly the sound quality of this phone cannot hold a candle against my ageing V20.

What would be a suitable portable (either dongle or non dongle wired, or even wireless BT) DAC/AMP combo that will be an upgrade SQ-wise to the LG V-series Quad DAC?

I've been looking around and some of the DAC I've come across that are within my consideration are:

Wired Dongle
- Meizu HiFi Pro (CS43131)
- iBasso DC02 - MYR 185 (AK4490EQ)
- E1DA 9038D (ES8038q2m)

Wired Non Dongle
- Qudelix 5K (ES9218p dual) in wired mode 24bit/96khz

Bluetooth
- Qudelix 5K (ES9218p dual)

I'd love more options. My first and foremost priority is sound quality, followed by portability (size wise I am willing to consider up to credit card sized DACs).
Preferably it should be a noticeable improvement from the V20's ES9218p.

Thanks in advance :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Think you need to tell us what headphones you will /might run off them. If easy to drive iem exclusively, it's hard to see past the meizu pro for form factor and sound.

If you use something requiring more oomph, maybe not

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Remember you do not need a SIM card in the V20 to continue to use it on wifi as a DAP. Why not?

Even limited data cap on new Samsung hotspot setting will be enough for loads of music..

BillG

Major Contributor
I've an older Android that I converted into a DAP recently, also driving KZ IEMs - AS10 and ZSX to be exact:

IMG20200524211953-01.jpeg

If you can tolerate carrying around two devices occasionally, I'd keep the LG and convert it into a DAP.

What I did for my conversion was to simply uninstall any superfluous apps I had, rearrange the homescreen into a more audiocentric one, installed Viper4Android for systemwide DSP, switched to a more power conservative battery profile, and away I went... :cool:

A screen shot of its home screen:

Screenshot_Evie_20200529-112212.png

OP
D

daijoubu

Think you need to tell us what headphones you will /might run off them. If easy to drive iem exclusively, it's hard to see past the meizu pro for form factor and sound.

If you use something requiring more oomph, maybe not

I am considering either to get a Denon AH-MM400 or Meze 99 Noir/Classic. I prefer my headphones to have a slight emphasis on bass and from what I've read so far the above fits the bill.

Remember you do not need a SIM card in the V20 to continue to use it on wifi as a DAP. Why not?

Even limited data cap on new Samsung hotspot setting will be enough for loads of music..
Sadly I can't see myself carrying two smartphones around, it's just too bulky :(.

I've an older Android that I converted into a DAP recently, also driving KZ IEMs - AS10 and ZSX to be exact:

If you can tolerate carrying around two devices occasionally, I'd keep the LG and convert it into a DAP.

What I did for my conversion was to simply uninstall any superfluous apps I had, rearrange the homescreen into a more audiocentric one, installed Viper4Android for systemwide DSP, switched to a more power conservative battery profile, and away I went... :cool:

A screen shot of its home screen:
I am currently using the V20 as a DAP (running off Spotify premium), but the hassle of bringing 2 devices around is taking it's toll, thus why I want to find for an alternative :).

Thanks all for the replies so far!

OP
D

daijoubu

go for LG V30 or V40. :)
if it has to be dongle - go for Meizu HiFi Pro.

I'd want to not have to carry 2 devices including my smartphone :(.
Will the dongle have an SQ output that matches the V30/V40?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I own all of these - S10+, Meizu, and 9038S. With my Westone W50s and Shure Se535s there's not enough difference in sound quality for me to bother using the dongles at all. I've seen measurements on that phone ranging from 86dB THD+N for 44/16 up to 101 THD+N(A) in 96/24. Sorry, hard to link on mobile especially because the 96/24 were from CN and have to go through Translate but I'm sure you can hunt them down

I'm 40 and have been to about 500 concerts in my life, only about 1/2 of which I wore earplugs so maybe you have better hearing or less efficient headphones? I listen to FLAC directly from the phone, no streaming at all

BTW have you actually found the Qudelix.fornsale? I didn't think it was ready yet

OP
D

daijoubu

Definitely Meizu HiFi Pro or 9038D when it's released
Keeping an eye for the 9038D :).

FWIW I own all of these - S10+, Meizu, and 9038S. With my Westone W50s and Shure Se535s there's not enough difference in sound quality for me to bother using the dongles at all. I've seen measurements on that phone ranging from 86dB THD+N for 44/16 up to 101 THD+N(A) in 96/24. Sorry, hard to link on mobile especially because the 96/24 were from CN and have to go through Translate but I'm sure you can hunt them down

I'm 40 and have been to about 500 concerts in my life, only about 1/2 of which I wore earplugs so maybe you have better hearing or less efficient headphones? I listen to FLAC directly from the phone, no streaming at all

BTW have you actually found the Qudelix.fornsale? I didn't think it was ready yet
Thanks for sharing your feedback. The S10+ that I am using now is the Exynos version which I read to have worse audio quality and measurements compared to the Snapdragon ones. It is possible that you have the better sonic quality wise Snapdragon version.

That said I'm still surprised that the 9038S doesn't present an improvement over the S10+, Snapdragon or not. Intriguing.

The Qudelix 5K and the 9038D isn't out for sale yet, I'm just shortlisting them, however as a reference the Fiio BTR5 or Shanling UP4 should be similar sonic-wise, considering they both use the same DAC (ES9218p), also same with what's in my V20 (and subsequent V-series phones like V30, 40 and 50).

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said I'm still surprised that the 9038S doesn't present an improvement over the S10+, Snapdragon or not. Intriguing.

The 9038S is an amazing achievement, so much so that I actually sold my Benchmark DAC2 and replaced it with just the 9038S in my main room. Unfortunately the gen2 version has a huge problem with EMI, even with balanced cables you have to put your phone in airplane mode otherwise you occasionally get this burst of searing noise that can only be described as someone putting a hot iron straight into your earhole. No issues on my HTPC though,so that was a few hundred I could put toward a sub instead.

If I sat with my eyes closed and tried really hard, there's a chance I could detect a difference but I use my IEMs exclusively when doing physical activity, so I don't notice an extra 8dB of headroom (or whatever) when I'm struggling to deadlift 405 or watching the roadclosely to avoid eating pavement on my longboard. If I was into huge inefficient cans, the 9038S gen3 would be #1 on my list followed by Meizu Pro but that's just not my use case. They really are both amazing at their price point

OP
D

daijoubu

The 9038S is an amazing achievement, so much so that I actually sold my Benchmark DAC2 and replaced it with just the 9038S in my main room. Unfortunately the gen2 version has a huge problem with EMI, even with balanced cables you have to put your phone in airplane mode otherwise you occasionally get this burst of searing noise that can only be described as someone putting a hot iron straight into your earhole. No issues on my HTPC though,so that was a few hundred I could put toward a sub instead.

If I sat with my eyes closed and tried really hard, there's a chance I could detect a difference but I use my IEMs exclusively when doing physical activity, so I don't notice an extra 8dB of headroom (or whatever) when I'm struggling to deadlift 405 or watching the roadclosely to avoid eating pavement on my longboard. If I was into huge inefficient cans, the 9038S gen3 would be #1 on my list followed by Meizu Pro but that's just not my use case. They really are both amazing at their price point

Awesome feedback tifune, that'll help me in my consideration. My priority now seems to be first and foremost sound quality, so the 9038D seems to be the better choice now.

I'll wait for it to be released before going forward. I may end up getting both the 9038D and the Qudelix 5K when they are both finally released =D.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll wait for it to be released before going forward. I may end up getting both the 9038D and the Qudelix 5K when they are both finally released =D.

Please update the thread when you do! E1DA is one of very few companies I fanboy over, everything they do is impeccable so I have zero doubts the 9038D will be great. Really hope there's a wireless option in their future (hint hint @IVX )

The Qudelix though, I'm a little nervous that I can't find any specs at all on their site which is disappointing given theyre already in production. To me, that implies they either don't know, don't want to share, or (hopefully) just have bad marketing. The ES100 is such a great box who's only failing is SINAD below that of full 16/44, which may be inaudible anyways, so I remain hopeful

Cheers!

jameswilson

I have been researching the same things. Only things I see missing from your list...

Hidizs S8
Nuprime Hi-mDAC... I haven't looked into this one yet, as I just came across it on Amazon. But it uses the same DAC chip as Hidiz S8

OP
D

daijoubu

I have been researching the same things. Only things I see missing from your list...

Hidizs S8
Nuprime Hi-mDAC... I haven't looked into this one yet, as I just came across it on Amazon. But it uses the same DAC chip as Hidiz S8

The Hidizs S8 I believe is just a TEMPOTEC HD PRO in another skin, and you are better off saving the money by getting the TEMPOTEC HD PRO.
That said there is a view that the Meizu dongle is still the better choice?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hidizs S8 I believe is just a TEMPOTEC HD PRO in another skin, and you are better off saving the money by getting the TEMPOTEC HD PRO.
That said there is a view that the Meizu dongle is still the better choice?

I forgot to mention I have the TempoTec HD as well. Again I can't hear a difference from my S10+ so I don't bother. The S8/TempoTec was one of the more controversial reviews here - Amir's results seem to outperform others for some reason that was never determined. If you go through the entire thread, 2 other people did their own tests and found that purely as a DAC the S8 is on par w/ Meizu but Meizu holds up better under load.

The way I use all 3 is:

9038S - main room with Neumann KH120s

TempoTec HD, physical volume control 1 click below max - home office w LSR305, Behringer NX1000 and old JL audio sub I found in storage

Meizu non-Pro - at work with Sennheiser HD25 simply because my work laptop DAC is atrocious, my guess is it's made cheaply for Skype/Zoom/WebEx only. Even the non-Pro I can only turn it up to 70% before I get uncomfortable

S10+ headphone out w Harman target EQ - Shure SE535 or Westone W50

OP
D

daijoubu

I forgot to mention I have the TempoTec HD as well. Again I can't hear a difference from my S10+ so I don't bother. The S8/TempoTec was one of the more controversial reviews here - Amir's results seem to outperform others for some reason that was never determined. If you go through the entire thread, 2 other people did their own tests and found that purely as a DAC the S8 is on par w/ Meizu but Meizu holds up better under load.

The way I use all 3 is:

9038S - main room with Neumann KH120s

TempoTec HD, physical volume control 1 click below max - home office w LSR305, Behringer NX1000 and old JL audio sub I found in storage

Meizu non-Pro - at work with Sennheiser HD25 simply because my work laptop DAC is atrocious, my guess is it's made cheaply for Skype/Zoom/WebEx only. Even the non-Pro I can only turn it up to 70% before I get uncomfortable

S10+ headphone out w Harman target EQ - Shure SE535 or Westone W50

Ah nice, yes I was going through the long thread and I can see there were some disagreements with the initial measurement.
Curiously I haven't got why were the Meizu non-pros favoured over the pro's. I'm guessing the output is cleaner without the OP AMP?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah nice, yes I was going through the long thread and I can see there were some disagreements with the initial measurement.
Curiously I haven't got why were the Meizu non-pros favoured over the pro's. I'm guessing the output is cleaner without the OP AMP?

Amir strongly recommends the Pro but most others agree the result is the same unless your headphones require the extra power. Meizus recommendation is "Pro for over-ear, regular for everything else" which I would probably agree is a good rule of thumb but if the extra $ is a lot to grapple with, you can figure out your actual power requirements with something like headphonesty.com or Digizoid to determine if you actually need that extra power.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
Keeping an eye for the 9038D :).

Thanks for sharing your feedback. The S10+ that I am using now is the Exynos version which I read to have worse audio quality and measurements compared to the Snapdragon ones. It is possible that you have the better sonic quality wise Snapdragon version.

The Qudelix 5K and the 9038D isn't out for sale yet, I'm just shortlisting them, however as a reference the Fiio BTR5 or Shanling UP4 should be similar sonic-wise, considering they both use the same DAC (ES9218p), also same with what's in my V20 (and subsequent V-series phones like V30, 40 and 50).
I had a G7 and now have an S10+ (Exynos) and V50. I've spent quite a lot of time comparing the headphone output of both, but I don't really notice any difference. For comparison, I used a G8S (doesn't have a Quad DAC) and a P30 for a couple of months before giving them to my kids, and both sound inferior to the G7 & V50. I'll do more listening, but if there isn't any perceivable difference in sound (for me) I'll probably end up keeping the S10+.

wwalsh1261

Forum Donor
Hi all, my first post here. I'm finally looking to move on from my V20 that I have been using with a KZ ZS3. My new phone will be the Samsung S10+, and sadly the sound quality of this phone cannot hold a candle against my ageing V20.

What would be a suitable portable (either dongle or non dongle wired, or even wireless BT) DAC/AMP combo that will be an upgrade SQ-wise to the LG V-series Quad DAC?

I've been looking around and some of the DAC I've come across that are within my consideration are:

Wired Dongle
- Meizu HiFi Pro (CS43131)
- iBasso DC02 - MYR 185 (AK4490EQ)
- E1DA 9038D (ES8038q2m)

Wired Non Dongle
- Qudelix 5K (ES9218p dual) in wired mode 24bit/96khz

Bluetooth
- Qudelix 5K (ES9218p dual)

I'd love more options. My first and foremost priority is sound quality, followed by portability (size wise I am willing to consider up to credit card sized DACs).
Preferably it should be a noticeable improvement from the V20's ES9218p.

Thanks in advance :)

Hello I have been using the Looto Paw S1 which is a very high quality day amp dongle. I find it has more power than the Dragonflys and I also use to drive my MacBook Air with my Sony MDR-Z7 (2)- it sounds wonderful.

Top Bottom