• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What personal computer do you use?

What is the Operating System do you use

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious to see what type of computers ASR members use and how often they update them. Thank you for your time to vote.

Note: For some reason some questions show truncated and the forum software does not allow me to edit them. Please read Macintosh Tiger as Macintosh Tiger or later

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
Raitsa’s right. If there’s no Linux option, a significant portion of the members can’t vote.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
You could probably also add Chrome OS, Android, and IOS to the list; there will be people that don't have anything other than a phone, tablet or netbook type device.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know there is something glorious called Linux, right?
There is, but there also is something called Chrome OS, which has even more market share! I have included only the two OSs which makes up more than 90% of the market.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could pronably also add Chrome OS, Android, and IOS to the list; there will be people that don't have anything other than a phone, tablet or netbook type device.
I only added desktop computers as that was my interest. Chrome OS has a miniscule market share and both Android and iOS are not yet fully fledged desktop OS.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Raitsa’s right. If there’s no Linux option, a significant portion of the members can’t vote.
All flavours of Linux has just 2.3% of the market. Are you telling us that for some reason "the significant proportion" of ASR members use that OS? Why would that be?

Golfx

Forum Donor
Falcon Northwest desktop and laptop computers running windows 10.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked the admin to add two more options to the poll as I cannot do that.
  • Neither of these
  • I don't use a personal computer
I hope that will increase the value of the poll.

Honken

All flavours of Linux has just 2.3% of the market. Are you telling us that for some reason "the significant proportion" of ASR members use that OS? Why would that be?
I believe that the average member here is more interested in technology than the world average, it wouldn't surprise me if this translated to a higher number of ASR members that use Linux than the market share stats would indicate.

Personally I mostly browse the web from a laptop that's running Linux, and have done so for ~20 years. I do game a bit and for that purpose I have a stationary computer running Windows 10 LTSC.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Rather than speculate, if it were an option, we would have hard data, which could then be compared to wide market averages.
Again, just speculation, but it seems to me that the ASR membership is something different than a big ol’ slice of “typical.” After all, you’re here, aren’t you?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather than speculate, if it were an option, we would have hard data, which could then be compared to wide market averages.
Again, just speculation, but it seems to me that the ASR membership is something different than a big ol’ slice of “typical.” After all, you’re here, aren’t you?
As I said above I asked the admin to add two more options.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my world (graphic design, photography, music production), iPadOS is becoming a bigger deal all the time. My colleagues and I use iPad Pros along with Macs on a daily basis.
The key word is "along". It means you have an option to vote for.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your title reads “What personal computer do you use?” Just answering your question since your list is far from complete.
You said you use iPads along Macs, in other words you said you use Macs and the poll has that as an option.

I do not understand the repeated critics. I explained that the forum software does not allow me to change the options, however that I asked admin’s help.

Meanwhile, you have the option to ignore the post or create your own complete poll.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad excuse. Windows XP and Vista have less than 1% combined.

The Mac options make even less sense. Of the four, two are a hardware type, one is an OS version, and one names both hardware and OS.
Bravo! You realised that I am not an experienced pollster.

And, that you have no idea about MacOS.

Top Bottom