• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What other IEMs should I get?

OnLyTNT

Hello,

New to the forums. I got a few IEMs for the first time and I am in love with them. Since I like KZ brand and some of their products are available in my country so I ended up with those: KZ ZS6, ZS10 PRO X (this was kind of in sale so I got two of this for a good measure, I like stocking :facepalm:) AS12, AS16. I am planing to get a few more and close the case for a long time. For my taste I don't like ZS6's V shape much. I like ZS10 more and extremely happy with AS12 and AS16. And all these IEMs are very comfortable to wear for me.

I am planing to get TRUTHEAR x Crinacle ZERO, but I see some quality issues with this one as a result a bit indecisive about it. Also I can get Fiio products and planing to get FD3 or FD5. Since FD3 is very similar to FD5 (as I heard) and half of the price, FD3 seems more reasonable. AS16 Pro can be added to the list may be if it is better then its predecessor. As you can see I like chi-fi, so price/performance is what I aim at mostly.

I see tons of new IEMs are being pumped into market. I read many reviews but I need pin point suggestions or reviews like TRUTHEAR x Crinacle ZERO review Amir has done here. So, can I have any ideas from you guys? By the way I am using Behringer UMC204 and Fiio BTR7 to drive all these things, planing to purchase K5 or K7 may be (not happy with Behringer's headphone output).

Thank you...

Last edited:

Ata

Forum Donor
I can recommend the earphones on the first line of my signature, in particular the 7Hz Timeless seems to be very much to my liking. The Etymotic ER2XR would perhaps be second in terms of personal preferences. What is your budget?

OP
OnLyTNT

OnLyTNT

I don't think I can handle deep penetration of Etymotic ER series into my ears :). 7hz Timeless comes up here and there, I'm definitely going to check it . In terms of budget I can go up to around 200-250$ for the most expensive one (FD3 Pro falls into this range) if I think it is really worth it.

Thank you.

Ata

Forum Donor
Contrary to the common understanding, one does not need to use the traditional triple flange tips that come with the Etymotics, there are plenty of tips coming in the box to suit all tastes. I bought mine not knowing if I would be able to use the triple flange tips given all the hoopla about it on the Internet, as it turns out it is a complete non-issue for me.

Given the price range, if you like the detailed sound of planar headphones such as Fostex T50RPs or Hifimans or Audezes, you will not be disappointed with the 7Hz Timeless. I prefer the sound to the much more expensive MESTs I have, and they seem to hug the Harman target better, hence minimal need for EQ.

Turambar

I think planar IEMs are the way to go for you short term. Personally, I use the Letshuoer S12 and I'm ok with it.

OP
OnLyTNT

OnLyTNT

Yes, I prefer detailed flat sound instead of musical profile. My tendency leans more on planar IEMs now, I definitely should try one. Letshuoer S12 also seems a nice choice and considering the prices I can get it along with 7Hz timeless, more bang for my buck :). I am still sceptic about Etymotic's ergonomics, so I will pass that one for now. Thank you guys, I really appreciate your thoughtful replies.

DS_Construct

I agree with the other contributors. The planars are a good place to start. If you don’t go that direction, then Moondrop and Dunu make some well performing and reasonably priced IEMs. You might also look on the used market to stretch your dollar a little more.

OP
OnLyTNT

OnLyTNT

S12 is decided and getting soon, FR graph is more appealing to me than 7hz, they are very similar thou. By the way, I also got Truthear Zero and 7hz Salnotes (it was on sale like 17$, so :p) out of curiosity, both are very decent for their price I must say, especially Truthear. I also heard a lot about Moondrop, it seems worth to check. I don't favour used items when it comes to headphones, yet still thank you for your suggestion.

DS_Construct

S12 is decided and getting soon, FR graph is more appealing to me than 7hz, they are very similar thou. By the way, I also got Truthear Zero and 7hz Salnotes (it was on sale like 17$, so :p) out of curiosity, both are very decent for their price I must say, especially Truthear. I also heard a lot about Moondrop, it seems worth to check. I don't favour used items when it comes to headphones, yet still thank you for your suggestion.
You are welcome. Take care.

markanini

Major Contributor
Just a thought, since you seem to associate KZ with V-tuning, have you considered that they might simply have been badly tuned? KZ and Fiio are probably both considered by many as part of an old guard that didn't keep up with the likes of Moondrop in improving tuning quality.

markanini

Major Contributor
I think planar IEMs are the way to go for you short term. Personally, I use the Letshuoer S12 and I'm ok with it.
What kind of distortion performance is this?
image (1).png
image (2).png

Compare to dynamic driver:
image.png

OP
OnLyTNT

OnLyTNT

Just a thought, since you seem to associate KZ with V-tuning, have you considered that they might simply have been badly tuned? KZ and Fiio are probably both considered by many as part of an old guard that didn't keep up with the likes of Moondrop in improving tuning quality.
I am still learning about tunings, drivers and other stuff, thumbs up :).

Ambient384

Etymotic's can be super comfy with Foam tips, I get the ER3XR as It cheaper but you can add 75ohm to get a ER4XR FR from It. BA just sound much cleaner than dynamic drivers even If THD charts say otherwise like ER4XR being <1.28% at 1KHz.

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have a pair of Campfire Audio Dorado and a pair of Campfire Audio Andromeda. They are the first IEMs I've ever owned and the reproduction is excellent. I prefer the sound of the Andromeda over the Dorado. They look very well built, machined from aluminum.

OP
OnLyTNT

OnLyTNT

Actually my hunt is ended, but still thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom