• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What music genres do equipment distortions affect strongest?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
While some like testing their gear SQ with drum pieces, acoustic guitar passages, double bass, and such I think the hardest to accurately reproduce (and thus most audible) are piano keystrokes, certain female voices, and philharmonic orchestra... What do you think? Is there an established opinion/analysis?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is Harman research on what music is best for speaker evaluation, that's focused on frequency response though, do you specifically mean distortion as opposed to frequency response?

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
do you specifically mean distortion as opposed to frequency response

I guess I meant both, but concentrating on effects beyond "lacking lows/highs". So, deviation from "ideal" frequency response (eg Harman curve) would qualify... yet it often can be compensated by an equalizer. Meanwhile, distortions - eg harmonic distortions - are harder to deal with.

Long ago, I would go to a listening room with my favorite jazz quartet CD and judge a stereo system by how "lively" it presents drumkit, bass, saxophone... Now I take DCD - to listen how Lisa Gerrard's voice is reproduced... or Chucho Valdes, to check how natural (vs metallic or plasticky) his piano keystrokes sound. I wonder if it makes sense.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think in general if is classical music that is most affected by equipment distortion -- and for that matter, 2nd rate recording and mastering.

One factor is the typically greater dynamic range of classical music, (esp. orchestral). It seems to me the degree of finesse of recording and mastering engineers varies greatly for such instruments as violins and brass; this most affects, IMO, fortissimo passages. Simply put, the art of recording massed string instruments has eluded many of them.

Top Bottom