• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What measurements number in the dashboard leads to a "warm and intimate" sound vs "colder more technical/clinical" sound?

barrows

For ancient solid-state amplifiers this may well be true, but in modern 'accurate' solid-state amps all harmonic distortions are orders of magnitude below what is audible. Now tube amps on the other hand are often designed with intentional high harmonic distortion for a euphonic sound.

While I agree that a lot of SS amplifiers do exhibit the behavior you are talking about, I suspect these harmonics are audible (I can hear references tones at -90 dB in my system on a quiet night):

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 12.31.03 PM.png

Not wanting to disagree, just pointing out that I feel their are some exceptions to the idea that all contemporary SS amplifiers feature inaudible levels of harming distortion.

tuga

Major Contributor
Here's another example:

713AX5fig06.jpg

Ayre AX-5, THD+N (%) vs frequency at 8.9V into: 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red), 4 ohms (left cyan, right magenta), 2 ohms (green).

713AX5fig09.jpg

Ayre AX-5, spectrum of 50Hz sinewave, DC–1kHz, at 50W into 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red; linear frequency scale).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not wanting to disagree, just pointing out that I feel their are some exceptions to the idea that all contemporary SS amplifiers feature inaudible levels of harming distortion.

Note that @Speedskater said "modern 'accurate' solid state amps," which excludes the tiny fashion audio niche. The late Dave Kimber used to wryly observe that finding bad performance from electronics usually means either very, very cheap or very, very expensive.

At that, I'd guess that the distortion of those two rather poorly designed amps is likely not audible.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
While I agree that a lot of SS amplifiers do exhibit the behavior you are talking about, I suspect these harmonics are audible (I can hear references tones at -90 dB in my system on a quiet night):

View attachment 55442

Well of course not all amps are created equal. Whilst @barrows may have been somewhat generalising, I think "decent" SS amps will have significantly lower distortion than this particular example.

Top Bottom