• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What measurement differences are relevant?

quorzar

Hi at all,

I see all the measurements and compare them to find the "best" DAC or AMP. The problem is now that I already own some hardware and I can see the differences between them and the "top" gear, but have no clue how to weight the differences in its fatality^^

Is there already a thread (cant find one) that compares some diagrams of measurements or some numbers from it against each other with a describtion of the audiability and or the effect of the for example SINAD 99 to 110. What is the effect or when can I hear something and what. Is a difference of 5 enough or not audible.

Is it possible to wirte a litte tutorial with some statements to every category of measurements? Some explained with charts with fake data and some in text with numbers. I would write it myself but I didnt have the knowledge. I dont want this in every review, but one sticky thread with all categorys with some charts and lines that explains it the best. I think everyone should get what I mean :) It would be very nice to have such a help.

Overall, thank you for all the work and the good reviews here!

QUO

Examples ....:

Dynamic Range:
80: very bad and not worth to buy new.
120: good and can be expected >200 dollar examples:(fakecompany->fakemodel, fakecompany2->fakemodel2)

SINADmod.JPG

IDmod.JPG

5db not audible, 10 slightly and 20 is woth another 80 dollar......

jiter noisemod.JPG

linearitymod.jpg

make fake lines like this that are a good example to describe it to the community......

FFTmod.JPG

fft2mod.JPG

everything to -120 is ok but to be on the save side look for -130. From 200 dollar product you can expect at least -140 for exabple ......

dastereo.ru

These measurements are pretty useless if you talk about joy of listening your hi-fi.
It's looks like megapixel for cameras (more megapixel is better)

Veri

Master Contributor
These measurements are pretty useless if you talk about joy of listening your hi-fi.

This ENTIRE discussion is about from what point it does start making a difference in sound.
I don't get what you're trying to say here, 'just enjoy what you have' ??

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This ENTIRE discussion is about from what point it does start making a difference in sound.
I don't get what you're trying to say here, 'just enjoy what you have' ??
In my experience of measuring sound levels during concerts - from soprano and piano to big orchestras - the dynamic range necessary to hear the whole performance is probably never more than 50dB.
Yes, if one wanted to make a recorder that could record the whole audio spectrum without using a level control the full 21 bits of what seems to be SOTA on the analogue side would be needed, but nobody ever does, as far as I know.
LPs have a SNR of around 70dB and that is on the verge of being acceptable for playback (until one has heard how quiet 16-bit digital can be, that is).
There are two ways to look at it IMO, one from what is technically possible using SOTA electronics, and that is an astonishingly high nowadays. The other is what is needed to enjoy listening to actual music at home in a domestic environment through real speakers.
Here the electronics are so much better tha nis possible from the speakers one could argue that a lot of their potential is wasted.
For me it makes sense to buy something well engineered if one is going to buy something new OTOH it seems to me unnecessary to change kit capable of 16-bit performance in the hope of hearing an improvement listening to speakers at home.
The speakers themselves, and possibly the power amp, are the weak points, not DACs or preamps.

Top Bottom