• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes this speaker so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

Goodman

Thanks for your reply. When you write that "High efficiency can be a quality factor without having to set up a volume matched ... experiment," it seems you're acknowledging that volume differences can indeed shape the comparative perception of sound quality, but that you nevertheless intend to ignore the issue.

Saying that "so many here demand" a "scientific (or pseudo scientific)" experiment seems like an attempt to dismiss the importance of volume-matching, by claiming that "so many here" are (a) extreme and unrealistic ("scientific experiment"); (b) dictatorial ("demand"); and (c) not really raising a valid issue ("pseudo scientific").

It all just seems like a rather passive-aggressive way of saying, "I want to talk about what I want to talk about, and I don't want to talk about what I don't want to talk about, now entertain me."
You can certainly assert that High efficiency is a quality factor without comparing it to anything, let alone controlled level matching against what exactly? Like it or not it is a well known fact in the hifi field that if you want constant level high SPL without distortion High sensitivity is one he best design option.

OP
G

Goodman

This does seem to be the case, yes.

Also seems to be the case IMHO.

And again, I agree with your perception here.

I don't blame you. It is very easy to abuse the good faith of folks at a site like this, with the kind of behavior we are seeing in this thread. The control in a discussion like this (at least, the way this one has been shaping up) is not in the arguments someone puts forth - instead, it's in the ability to keep the discussion going and draw people in, so the OP can feel as though they took on a whole group of people and came away with their initial beliefs intact. In that kind of situation, the reasonable thing is probably just to cut off the oxygen and withdraw - advice that's hard for all of us to take though, since we enjoy the discussing, analysis and arguments!
Cutting my oxygen is an option, I will be joining good company. Michael Fremer, granted, not the most likable human being, has been banned, not exactly a novice in this field. Bob Carver, probably the best amplifier designer on this planet has been much maligned on this forum, to the point that he banned himself.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cutting my oxygen is an option, I will be joining good company. Michael Fremer, granted, not the most likable human being, has been banned, not exactly a novice in this field. Bob Carver, probably the best amplifier designer on this planet has been much maligned on this forum, to the point that he banned himself.
We tested his tube amp. It sucked. Substantially worse THD than amps from the 60s. The output transformer would not support the rated power, either.

D

Deleted member 21219

Well, at least you've made your hidden agenda a slight bit less hidden.

Anyone collecting self-proclaimed martyrs nowadays? They're cheaper by the dozen.

Jim

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, at least you've made your hidden agenda a slight bit less hidden.

Jim
Yeah, this looks worse and worse as we find out more.

OP
G

Goodman

This is one of the easiest rhetorical methods for introducing errant information. Like it or not, that's a well known fact. :)

Jim
Really Jim, tell that to the owners and designers of Altec 604's and Western Electric horn systems.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cutting my oxygen is an option, I will be joining good company. Michael Fremer, granted, not the most likable human being, has been banned, not exactly a novice in this field.

No, he hasn't been banned.

I think this somewhat strange thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom