• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes this speaker so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You like them because they were the pinnacle of hi-fi. A white van brought them directly from heaven to your door :D

Serious subject. Why don't I like Brussels sprouts?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I concur with these findings and it is exactly what I was trying to express in my limited English. However it also shows that you need to do a lot to show that the cheapo is inferior by what should be obvious and wide margin.

Price is not a garantie for quality. Not for objective and espeacily not for subjective quality.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Price is not a garantie for quality.
Amir shows us that all the time. Some real expensive speakers are like sonic ice-picks to the ear drums.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Feast your eyes on craptastic sound.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those old cone tweeters rolled a lot beyond maybe 6kHz, so if you get used to the muffled quality they do smooth out rough-sounding recordings at times.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

One likes what one likes..
Bland clichés aside... You may need to listen to these a bit longer.. and ...
From what I see from @restorer-john post, these are not likely to be speakers with great measurements.. It happens that good measurements in turn, tend to correlate with what most people find accurate and pleasing...
You could be an outlier... or not...

Without measurements it is impossible to answer your question... accurately ;)

Peace.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Feast your eyes on craptastic sound.

I think that elac look more horrible in FR than they sound. That 5dB up over 10k is not realy so bad. 5dB up at 4khz would pierce my ears much more.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

From what I see from @restorer-john post, these are not likely to be speakers with great measurements.. It happens that good measurements in turn, tend to correlate with what most people find accurate and pleasing...

Peace.
And even then we can't get inside the OP's mind and understand his preferences. But those old white van style speakers usually had a mid-bass bloom and a downward sloping response, because people liked that. Deep bass was very limited. Accurate? Heck no.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that elac look more horrible in FR than they sound. That 5dB up over 10k is not realy so bad. 5dB up at 4khz would pierce my ears much more.
Well, I think it's down to which is more or less offensive. Not a good place to be when you pay top dollar.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Well, I think it's down to which is more or less offensive. Not a good place to be when you pay top dollar.

Sure maybe we can agree seeing a stright line would be more nice. But for FR deviations it's very importend where they are. And after 10k the influence is much less. I think some would say the speaker sounds so nice airy and persice in the highs. And this was intended by elac to sell the tweeter.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure maybe we can agree seeing a stright line would be more nice. But for FR deviations it's very importend where they are. And after 10k the influence is much less. I think some would say the speaker sounds so nice airy and persice in the highs. And this was intended by elac to sell the tweeter.
Some may like that, but from playing with EQ on mine I know it hurts my ears if I have peaks up there. My ears are happiest with flat out to about 6kHz then a tiny slope down from there.

OP
G

Goodman

Those old cone tweeters rolled a lot beyond maybe 6kHz, so if you get used to the muffled quality they do smooth out rough-sounding recordings at times.
Smooth out rough-sounding recordings! Now that is a big plus, not all of us listen to Diana Krall all day, I listen to her husband Elvis Costello, not audiophile but musical genius.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Some may like that, but from playing with EQ on mine I know it hurts my ears if I have peaks up there. My ears are happiest with flat out to about 6kHz then a tiny slope down from there.

Sure why not i prefer some 4k dip, and after 12k it can go up some db. I still prefer a linear speaker, couse i eq then to my like. And changig something that is allready good to my like is much more easy than changing something that is horrible.

OP
G

Goodman

Hi

Peace.
I Have thankfully had some interesting TECHNICAL AND USEFUL answers to my question, I do not require 100% accuracy.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I Have thankfully had some interesting answers to my question, I do not require 100% accuracy.

Never be a slave for a straight line. Be free to prever what you prever. But dont wonder that there are others that prever something else. ;)

Straight lines are just a good orientation to start with.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If I walk into room playing a getto blaster, or transistor radio and a year latter Walk into the same room playing some Focal Speakers, I don't need an degree in engineering from MIT and 100,000 dollars of equipment to tell you which is best.
Doesn't make your question better defined though.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, thank you, we have established and informed others that high efficiency can be a quality factor without having to set up a volume matched scientific (or pseudo scientific experiment) which so many here demand.

Thanks for your reply. When you write that "High efficiency can be a quality factor without having to set up a volume matched ... experiment," it seems you're acknowledging that volume differences can indeed shape the comparative perception of sound quality, but that you nevertheless intend to ignore the issue.

Saying that "so many here demand" a "scientific (or pseudo scientific)" experiment seems like an attempt to dismiss the importance of volume-matching, by claiming that "so many here" are (a) extreme and unrealistic ("scientific experiment"); (b) dictatorial ("demand"); and (c) not really raising a valid issue ("pseudo scientific").

It all just seems like a rather passive-aggressive way of saying, "I want to talk about what I want to talk about, and I don't want to talk about what I don't want to talk about, now entertain me."

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don’t even know the study yet you think you can argue about it.

This does seem to be the case, yes.

Besides you missing the point and you probably want to miss the point.

Also seems to be the case IMHO.

No facts just tales.

And again, I agree with your perception here.

I am out. What a waste of time.

I don't blame you. It is very easy to abuse the good faith of folks at a site like this, with the kind of behavior we are seeing in this thread. The control in a discussion like this (at least, the way this one has been shaping up) is not in the arguments someone puts forth - instead, it's in the ability to keep the discussion going and draw people in, so the OP can feel as though they took on a whole group of people and came away with their initial beliefs intact. In that kind of situation, the reasonable thing is probably just to cut off the oxygen and withdraw - advice that's hard for all of us to take though, since we enjoy the discussing, analysis and arguments!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. When you write that :High efficiency can be a quality factor without having to set up a volume matched ... experiment," it seems you're acknowledging that volume differences can indeed shape the comparative perception of sound quality, but that you nevertheless intend to ignore the issue.

Saying that "so many here demand" a "scientific (or pseudo scientific)" experiment seems like an attempt to dismiss the importance of volume-matching, by claiming that "so many here" are (a) extreme and unrealistic ("scientific experiment"); (b) dictatorial ("demand"); and (c) not really raising a valid issue ("pseudo scientific").

It all just seems like a rather passive-aggressive way of saying, "I want to talk about what I want to talk about, and I don't want to talk about what I don't want to talk about, now entertain me."
I think he is just trying to have the measurements thread without saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom