• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes the sensation of "sound stage"?

Destination: Moon

Hi, I've had several pairs of speakers over the years. But it was always a clear upgrade and I never really looked back at the previous speakers.

Fast forward to today, I have 2 sets of very similar highly rated book shelf, 2 ways. They both sound amazing!

I've got them both broken in. Swapped them back and forth. One pair has a noticably deeper more 3 dimensional sound. It's like having the musicians in my house. Why? Same amp, same exact location, same source

tuga

Major Contributor
Hi, I've had several pairs of speakers over the years. But it was always a clear upgrade and I never really looked back at the previous speakers.

Fast forward to today, I have 2 sets of very similar highly rated book shelf, 2 ways. They both sound amazing!

I've got them both broken in. Swapped them back and forth. One pair has a noticably deeper more 3 dimensional sound. It's like having the musicians in my house. Why? Same amp, same exact location, same source

Does one pair use coaxial driver?

Frequency response aberrations, differences in directivity and even HD/IMD distortion may contribute to perceived differences.

OP
D

Does one pair use coaxial driver?

Frequency response aberrations, differences in directivity and even HD/IMD distortion may contribute to perceived differences.

No, both are similar size and design. One is sealed with a large passive radiator and the other is ported to the rear.

One is definitely more directional. Interestingly, the directional one seems to have the more district sound stage. The other is far less directional and open sounding, yet the music doesn't sound as 3 dimensional? Does that make sense?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I think there are 3 things that create the soundstage
1. Frequency response. Flatter response should lead to instruments and voices being presented in the same way they were recorded/mixed, leading to better separation
2. Directivity - generally speakers that have wider dispersion should envelope the listener more, but this depends on #3
3. Room - a poor listening room will lead to lots of reverb and this can muddle up the sound. In a small room with lots of reflective surfaces, a speakers with narrower dispersion probably works better since you’ll hear more direct sound.

the above points are speculative, I’m no expert

OP
D

I think there are 3 things that create the soundstage
1. Frequency response. Flatter response should lead to instruments and voices being presented in the same way they were recorded/mixed, leading to better separation
2. Directivity - generally speakers that have wider dispersion should envelope the listener more, but this depends on #3
3. Room - a poor listening room will lead to lots of reverb and this can muddle up the sound. In a small room with lots of reflective surfaces, a speakers with narrower dispersion probably works better since you’ll hear more direct sound.

the above points are speculative, I’m no expert

Thanks! It's not the room, lots of heavy drapes, sofas, tall ceiling, and 36 feet deep.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, both are similar size and design. One is sealed with a large passive radiator and the other is ported to the rear.

One is definitely more directional. Interestingly, the directional one seems to have the more district sound stage. The other is far less directional and open sounding, yet the music doesn't sound as 3 dimensional? Does that make sense?

In my experience, speakers that are more directional will have more distinct placements of instruments within the soundstage. Speakers that are less directional will will be more open sounding, and envelop more, but the images within the soundstage will be less precise.

OP
D

In my experience, speakers that are more directional will have more distinct placements of instruments within the soundstage. Speakers that are less directional will will be more open sounding, and envelop more, but the images within the soundstage will be less precise.

That's exactly what I'm hearing! It makes it really hard to pick which one I like better!

The sealed one is definitely tighter which I also prefer I think.... But the other one is much more open and immersive like you say....tone wise they both seem similar although I think I prefer the way horns sound on the 55... Less reedy, or something hard to define

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly what I'm hearing! It makes it really hard to pick which one I like better!

The sealed one is definitely tighter which I also prefer I think.... But the other one is much more open and immersive like you say....tone wise they both seem similar although I think I prefer the way horns sound on the 55... Less reedy, or something hard to define
I would suggest keeping both if you have the space. I have 5 active systems, including one with 4 zones and one for the whole house, but I still hang on to several 4-6 pairs of other speakers in case I want to spice it up. :p

OP, use left from one, right from another. Best of both worlds you know...
:D

Emlin

The soundstage should be dictated by the recording (do you want a small, cosy night by the fire with one guitarist to sound like it was performed in a cathedral?). If it's not, then the speakers or room are dictating it, and that's just plain wrong.

Always a compromise, though less compromise is best.

OP
D

The soundstage should be dictated by the recording. If it's not, then the speakers or room are dictating it, and that's just plain wrong.

Always a compromise, though less compromise is best.

It's very apparent. Some recordings jump right out into the room, others seem like they are flat against the rear wall.
Both sets make an apparent image but one is much more 3d where the instrument placement is more localized and defined on good recordings

Emlin

It's very apparent. Some recordings jump right out into the room, others seem like they are flat against the rear wall.
Both sets make an apparent image but one is much more 3d where the instrument placement is more localized and defined on good recordings

As I have said elsewhere, soundstage is the width and depth (maybe height also) of the presentation. Imaging is how precisely instruments etc are located in the soundstage.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Interestingly, the directional one seems to have the more district sound stage.

The directional ones are generally going to have less interaction from the room walls, especially if toed in toward the listener. With a wide dispersion speaker, the imaging you are hearing is a combination of the imaging in the recording and the reflections/interaction with the room walls/floor/ceiling. With a narrower dispersion speaker, the room has less effect and the imaging is more of what is in the recording and less the room. The more directional the speaker, the farther the speaker is from the walls, and the closer you sit, the more of what you are hearing imaging-wise is that of the recording.

OP
D

As I have said elsewhere, soundstage is the width and depth (maybe height also) of the presentation. Imaging is how precisely instruments etc are located in the soundstage.

So are the 2 qualities subtractive, relative to each other?

Top Bottom