• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes music in Ready Player One- the movie- sound so good?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Well Bluray has uncompressed lossless audio, a greater dynamic range than CD. Also, the tracks are probably re-mastered, EQ'd etc. by the movie sound engineers, plus they may have access to a master.

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Let's hear which particular tracks you are talking about.

1655192541762.png

I likely have some of them on original CD pressings.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The sound may have been enhanced for the movie.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well Bluray has uncompressed lossless audio, a greater dynamic range than CD. Also, the tracks are probably re-mastered, EQ'd etc. by the movie sound engineers, plus they may have access to a master.

JSmith
Kate Bush’s original running up that hill sounds like it was mastered on GR research speakers not gonna lie.

I’m speechless that the song reached no 1 without Netflix releasing their remaster, it’s really bad and i hate that Netflix baked in the nostalgia filter like that because most amateur music in the 80s and earlier really sounded like crap.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You’re hearing it through the hearing aid of nostalgia, makes everything 100 times better than it is.
That effect does not work on the rest of my record collection, so I don't see how it would work here. I just think you don't understand what she is aiming for, historical context might help here, but she is a unique artist who has never wanted to sound the way others would have made her sound.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That effect does not work on the rest of my record collection, so I don't see how it would work here.

Sure it doesn't ;).

The only thing that sounds good in that mix is her vocals. If that's the only thing that matters to you then that's a different matter.

Did you hear the 2018 remaster?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I love Kate Bush as much as any dude born in the 60s and living in the 80s could. That said, her debut album (the Kick Inside) and even the Hounds of Love album were horribly recorded. I bought them on vinyl, listened on very good gear and the pressings were horrible. Then along came CD. I've got the first release CD pressings and they are no better. Shrill, nasty and not an enjoyable listen. Typical 80s- no bass, no warmth, blast us with high end like a PA system type sound.

@abdo123 is spot on.

If I can upload a track or part track, you guys can hear a 1st gen CD pressing if you doubt me...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As per the title, can anybody explain to me why old hits in new movies tend to sound so good?
I've noticed this effect, but I'm not sure it's real, well not all the time, I think part of it is hearing music out of context. I've been tempted to record some of the soundtrack and compare to the original, but when I've been motivated to try I cannot find a good example.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor

iMickey503

Forum Donor
This is an interesting theory. Are they really mixing the music for todays gear? Or are they doing something like BBE or a type of 3D sound to the mix?

I have long pondered that there may be something to this. Like running the entire mix through an Autotune? Or throwing out Musical information that is not needed like the MP3 Codec does to individual tracks and then mixing them together so they don't sound so congested. Maybe making the waveform having less harmful sonics that can show up in the mix. Or EQ in a way that sounds better for modern mass market speakers and staying away from troublesome notes that the mass of inexpensive speaker / drivers have a hard time reproducing such as those in the crossover pass band. Etc.

Kind of like mixing your CD you made in a way that has DSP settings and EQ you need to match your cabin space with time alignment already set for your listening position.

Occam's razor would suggest its just in your head. Or you have better gear now then you did back then. Speakers have improved so much today? Its hard to argue that listening to the recording today may sound better for the simple fact you have better gear all around.

I think psychoacoustics may play a factor. Music and emotions do seem to have a tie to each other as the Mayo clinic stated:

1655207070000.png

I am not one to quote string theory to be smart, but I do think that there may be a tie to EM fields and how your brain and body may interpret the experience, specifically on its memory and its "Coloring" of the event in your musical memory.

You also have to think about your endorphin levels and other chemical factors as well.
Its well known the your teenage love will be one of the strongest memory in your love life. Helen / fisher talked about this to some extent and did some research. Not sure of the validity.

I would think the oxytocin decreases with age however I have been corrected on that and so far it seems that the research points out that it increases with age. So maybe that is the reason it sounds better now possibly.

But in all likelihood? May just be that you have a better setup now. It's a toss up without real data. And just an opinion otherwise. Not a factual event in time as there is no data to confirm it.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Btw: I listen to cds/ripped cds and movies on the same gear and speakers. Panasonic bluray/raspberry pi=>NAD dac/pre C510=>Beolab 9.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Recorded at Windmill and Abbey Road
But a lot was also captured in a Fairlight

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting theory. Are they really mixing the music for todays gear? Or are they doing something like BBE or a type of 3D sound to the mix?

I have long pondered that there may be something to this. Like running the entire mix through an Autotune? Or throwing out Musical information that is not needed like the MP3 Codec does to individual tracks and then mixing them together so they don't sound so congested. Maybe making the waveform having less harmful sonics that can show up in the mix. Or EQ in a way that sounds better for modern mass market speakers and staying away from troublesome notes that the mass of inexpensive speaker / drivers have a hard time reproducing such as those in the crossover pass band. Etc.

Kind of like mixing your CD you made in a way that has DSP settings and EQ you need to match your cabin space with time alignment already set for your listening position.

Occam's razor would suggest its just in your head. Or you have better gear now then you did back then. Speakers have improved so much today? Its hard to argue that listening to the recording today may sound better for the simple fact you have better gear all around.

I think psychoacoustics may play a factor. Music and emotions do seem to have a tie to each other as the Mayo clinic stated:

View attachment 212693

I am not one to quote string theory to be smart, but I do think that there may be a tie to EM fields and how your brain and body may interpret the experience, specifically on its memory and its "Coloring" of the event in your musical memory.

You also have to think about your endorphin levels and other chemical factors as well.
Its well known the your teenage love will be one of the strongest memory in your love life. Helen / fisher talked about this to some extent and did some research. Not sure of the validity.

I would think the oxytocin decreases with age however I have been corrected on that and so far it seems that the research points out that it increases with age. So maybe that is the reason it sounds better now possibly.

But in all likelihood? May just be that you have a better setup now. It's a toss up without real data. And just an opinion otherwise. Not a factual event in time as there is no data to confirm it.
Well for the case of Kate Bush’s song (sorry to bring this one more time but it is no 1 almost worldwide right now) it’s definitely remastered, you can hear an entire orchestra in the mix.

Top Bottom