• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes music in Ready Player One- the movie- sound so good?

Dal1as

The bluray would be an uncompressed multichannel remastered soundtrack. Hard to compare to a CD or youtube stereo version. Like was mentioned earlier by another poster not many people use multichannel or upmixers for music. Jump is definately eqed heavily using the LFE strongly.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My impression is that the sound level from both bluray movie and youtube music is way lower than the cd. Turning the volume dial by ear I estimate it to be at least 5, maybe even closer to 10 db. (!)
If you look at "Stats for nerds", you'll see that many tracks there are more than 6 dB below their loudness target. For example, Van Halen is 8.9 dB below the target. I captured a short piece and part of the reason for that, is that it has over 4 dB of headroom:
vanhalen.png

Last edited:

danadam

For example, Van Halen is 8.9 dB below the target.
Ok, I captured the whole track and my LUFS scan shows:
Code:
  Loudness,     LRA, Sample peak,   True peak,  True peak
-15.9 LUFS,  3.7 LU,    0.680271,    0.696239,  -3.1 dBTP, record.wav
so I'm not sure what YTM's loudness target is.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
First compare between the original Tears for Fears " Everybody wants to rule the world" and the one from the Ready Player One cd (more analysis will follow):

Audacity_first_Compare.png

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Finally I got some time to do a compare on "Everybody wants to rule the World" from Tears for Fears.
The first track I ripped from the original album "Songs from the big chair" (1985), from now on the "Original" ; the second from Ready Player One_Songs from the Motion Picture (2018), from now on the "New Release". I imported both in Audacity.

Then I selected just the left tracks from both. Measurement with the Contrast Analyser :
Original -17,88 db
New Release -13,26 db
With the amplify tool I amplified the original to the rms of the New Release.
Because I had not selected that clipping was allowed I got an amplified Original track with -16,27 db.
I then amplified the Original track with another 3 db to have the same rms on both tracks.
After that I inverted the Original and selected both tracks; then from the "Tracks" menu chose " Mix and Render" to compare the two. The result was nothing, ie both tracks were identical.

Summarizing: the track " Everybody wants to rule the World" from the cd "Ready Player One the songs from the motion picture" was taken from the 1985 master and amplified by 4,62 db.
Unfortunately the track was amplified by 1,61 db beyond clipping point.
Good thing there are tools to measure this.
This track in particular sounded quite impressive on first listen to me.

Next I'll do a compare between Rihanna's "Shut up and drive" from her cd "Good girl gone bad- Reloaded" with the song from the motion picture "Wreck it Ralph".

Last edited:

Offler

Well Bluray has uncompressed lossless audio, a greater dynamic range than CD. Also, the tracks are probably re-mastered, EQ'd etc. by the movie sound engineers, plus they may have access to a master.

JSmith
Subjectively speaking, audio on Cowboy Bebop Bluray release is incredible, much better than Netflix stream.

For me this is a good possibility that original recording could be enhanced in 24bit easier than in 16bit.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I did a second compare between Prince "I wanna be your lover" from the movie soundtrack cd and an original prince cd. Iirc it was a double cd with all the Prince hits.

First surprise was that the movie soundtrack was about 2 minutes longer. Apparently there is a long version I was not aware of. At this point I thought the chances are slim that the tracks are from the same master.

I then cut both versions to 25 seconds long, checked with the Contrast Analyser that the original was -15.05db and the movie soundtrack -17.93db. In other words the movie soundtrack was 2.88 db louder. To compare I had to Amplify the original and then did a compare. The result was a straight line, ie they do come from the same master !

This came as a surprise to me because the tracks' length was different.
Just to be complete I'll add that the original was 0.4 db under clipping, so the amplified endresult was clipped, just like the movie soundtrack version.

Summarising: the measurements and comparison tell me that the soundtracks from the movie " Ready Player One" were taken from original recordings and just amplified to an extend that they were clipping. Funny how that sounded more interesting to me at first and goes to show how much of an impact a higher volume has !

BTW: I bought a bluray ripper to see if I can rip the original soundtrack from the film. More will follow.

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor
As per the title, can anybody explain to me why old hits in new movies tend to sound so good? The bluray compared to the original cd release I mean.

I noticed this with ready player one (but also many pixar movies.)
It has many 80's hits in it, so I thought it's a good example. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Several times, after having watched a movie that has a DTS-HD Master Audio track), it will inspire me to listen to the music in two channel CD quality audio. But it never seems as smooth and organic sounding as it was in the movie. I have no idea why that would be the case.

Top Bottom