• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes all this worth it?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning

A800

Yes, good sound is worth the effort, and the better it sounds, the more enjoyable it is.

Basically I agree.
But I rather listen to a bad recording of good music than a good recording of bad music.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Basically I agree.
But I rather listen to a bad recording of good music than a good recording of bad music.

If the music is bad, it doesn't matter how good the technical part is. If the music is good, it will still be possible to enjoy, even if quality is lacking.

A800

If the music is bad, it doesn't matter how good the technical part is. If the music is good, it will still be possible to enjoy, even if quality is lacking.
Very true.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This OST album is so well mastered that it'll sound stunning on any system IMHO

Capture.PNG

tuga

Major Contributor
I can hear sparrows.

995.jpg

KozmoNaut

For the music, and all the endless avenues of creativity it has.

But my bar for "good enough" is not super super high. It has to be decently good, but the music itself is more important.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am hoping to get some suggestions of specific pieces of music to listen to that really shine through higher fidelity. Genre doesnt matter to me. Any suggestions?

I'm not a fan of classical or choral music, but I discovered this after acquiring the desk headphone setup in my signature and it consistently blows me away...

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
This is a great thread. I like seeing what other people listen to, and I find new music this way. I read review on sites like 6moons, to see what they listen to - the review in itself rarely has any value.

Some of the most valued music I have, I have found on bandcamp. Artists with a small audience, difficult to find, but often with excellent technical production quality, and very interesting and good music.

I have a few tracks where both music and technical quality is special. Such as the Sera Una Noche, Nublado.
cover.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm a fan of Vitsoe shelves and armchairs. When I have older children who won't destroy expensive furniture....

Then you'll have a few years before the grandkids show up to wreck everything again...:)

Robin L

Master Contributor
The first all-digital recording I fell in love with,over 30 years ago:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Joe Hisaishi conducts a performance of his Studio Ghibli movie music at the Budokan: I don't know that the music needs to be played on such an epic scale, but what a show! For a quick sample, jump forward to 45:20. "Totoro" fans can jump to about 1:31:00:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I found this recording on Stereophile's "Records to Die For". I was pleasantly suprised at the recording quality; short of fantastic but it is very good. Especially for those who like the theme music to Miyazaki movies.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All this time money and energy towards good hifi hardware. What makes it worth it? I am wondering which specific tracks have you listened to that you have felt were truly special. Not just good music but stunning. What have you been SO glad you had good equipment when you heard it? I realize people have a wide variety of tastes and preferences but would like to hear of what others think is the best of the best for hifi listening. Specific songs, tracks...maybe even albums.

What music makes this worth it, for you?

Elgars Enigma Variations
Orchestrations by Sir Henry Woods
Shostakovitch The Year 1905 Symphony

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Joe Hisaishi conducts a performance of his Studio Ghibli movie music at the Budokan: I don't know that the music needs to be played on such an epic scale, but what a show! For a quick sample, jump forward to 45:20. "Totoro" fans can jump to about 1:31:00:

I get goosebumps all over my body with the way this recording was done. The mixing of instruments is just incredibly three dimensional and accurate to the stage of the concert hall. The illusion of imaging and sound stage is just scary realistic through the Yamaha HS7 speakers.

OP
M

Murrfk

I would go with Emmylou:

And Eno/Cale

Last edited:
Top Bottom