• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes all this worth it?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Music:

If it has a good beat and one can move to it.

If it has a good melody to connect with.

If it has emotional feeling to connect with.

If it is just musically inventive and expressive in an inviting way.

If one just likes it.

The audiophile aspect is somewhat obsessively overated. o_O

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What music makes it all feel worth it?

Like most here, I'm sure, I have a wide range of musical interests, and that answer may change over time depending on what's spinning my groove at the moment.

Right now I'm in a Rush phase again and hearing the music that I grew up with on my high end 2 channel system is eye-opening in terms of what I'm hearing and the presentation.

Other than that, soundtracks of all types.

But if I had to mention one genre that at this time is really making it "all worth it," I'd have to do a shout out to: Library Music.
(Also known a Production Music). Until fairly recently it was a virtually unknown genre (at least to the public). It's heyday was from the mid 60's to mid 80's, especially the late 60's - late 70's. This was pre-recorded music of all types that could be purchased by TV and Film (or commercial/industrial) productions for cheaper than hiring a composer. Often quite talented composers and absolutely crack teams of musicians (who had to knock it out of the park in a single take...or very few) composed an outrageous amount and variety of "moods." Very often with surprising combinations of elements, textures and instrumentation. From the mundane to the super creative. London's KPM and Bruton are two of the more well-known Library Music companies, though there were a great many all around the world. Someone may start out obsessed with the British library oeuvre, and then become obsessed with the Italian, or German, or French libraries.

I've bought a lot of this music (almost all in the original LP format) and it's in constant rotation. It's a constant surprise and much of it is both dramatic and punchy, with absolutely terrific recording quality. Because the music is soo wide ranging in type of instruments used, from early synths doing zany stuff, to big band, to symphonic, to really nutty instruments, this stuff really sings on a great system.

It's a niche and probably wouldn't appeal to many here (though my musician friends love it whenever they hear some at my place). Some primers on Library Music:

https://pitchfork.com/features/starter/9410-library-music/

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/unusual-sounds-library-music-records/

TimF

Forum Donor
A couple things I cannot do for more than a very brief time before all my wiring fries: 1) watch any video of Steve Gutenberg, and 2) watch any video with the singer called Aurora.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

HansHolland

I listen mostly rock music and postpunk is my favorite.
Unfortunately a lot of postpunk bands record (on purpose) low-fi.
But still, their music sounds better on good audio equipment. I find it worth it.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am hoping to get some suggestions of specific pieces of music to listen to that really shine through higher fidelity. Genre doesnt matter to me. Any suggestions?
I'm not an enormous jazz fan but Yams, by Herbie Hancock on an album by Jackie McLean, sounds more like being right there in the club than almost anything I've heard on recorded media.

Top Bottom