• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What lossy codec do you use

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I see your vinyl and double with 8 track.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Drone/doom

AAC 320 ABR. I tested Opus (320kbps), Lame MP3 (320 CBR) and AAC in Foobar2000 (from WAV). The composition is Hush by Deep Purple. Tested with my ears and Modi3/Magni2 pair attached to PC Windows 10. AAC won. So m4a files for me.
Problem is - I can tell the difference in this particular song. It has heavy guitar distortions. You can choose any other song with similar heavy guitar distortions (Van Halen for example) - I just think those are the only songs which will push the codecs to their limits. Pop music and esp classical music are not that demanding.

For me Lame V0 = 99% for me and FHG AAC at 192kb/s = 99%. Sounds fantastic for both my normal stuff(Ambient/metal/etc) & Anything industrial/experimental(Merzbow, whitehouse, The Haters).

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mostly MP3 320kb CBR. First of all because I've been using it for years now and I like having everything in the same format. I've also blind tested myself to see if I can tell the difference between this and Flac, and I can't so there is no down side.

I do however use AAC 320kb for the little electronic music that I have because in spectral analysis it better retains very high frequencies that the MP3 sometimes cuts off. I haven't blind tested here to see if I actually notice this, but it weighs the same and give me peace of mind that I don't miss anything on heavily synthesized tones that tend to have a lot of energy in the high range.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
whitehouse

Whitehouse now that's rare on these forums, reminds me of 1982 or so when the local college station would have a whole evening of Whitehouse, Lemon Kittens, Legendary Pink Dots, and Crass, interspersed with William S. Burroughs and Charles Bukowski reciting their poetry.

As for bass, can't beat sunn O))).

OP
D

Drone/doom

Whitehouse now that's rare on these forums, reminds me of 1982 or so when the local college station would have a whole evening of Whitehouse, Lemon Kittens, Legendary Pink Dots, and Crass, interspersed with William S. Burroughs and Charles Bukowski reciting their poetry.

As for bass, can't beat sunn O))).

Nice, i used them along with few other Noise bands to test how dynamic Lame and FHG AAC vbr is, only one noise artist album i have i just kept as flac the rest as 192kb/s AAC. Because not even 384kbps was enough to sound good.

Yup even my ER4SR still sound full with my Sunn O))) albums collection.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
dunno.

I stream my lossless ripped CDs, lossless from Tidal. Beyond that I like a few internet radio stations which stream at various lossy bit rates/codecs.
Usually while listening in the car.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me Lame V0 = 99% for me and FHG AAC at 192kb/s = 99%. Sounds fantastic for both my normal stuff(Ambient/metal/etc) & Anything industrial/experimental(Merzbow, whitehouse, The Haters).

When I first tried AAC HE, which is limited at 80kbits, I thought it sounded fantastic! Meaty, punchy, almost better than original! So, if u into saving every last bit of space, or Youtube creator, use AAC HE and impress your viewers! But I use AAC ABR 320 for above reasons.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My entire music collection is in FLAC or DSF on my NAS. I duplicated the entire collection in LAME MP3 320kbps for carrying on my iPhone.

Martin

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Vinyl is what's better than any file. Because you can't roll a joint on data.
Naw, you have to roll a joint in paper, vinyl would taste crappy as hell. :facepalm:

Svperstar

On desktop mostly FLAC, years ago I encoded a lot of stuff in APE because it was smaller then FLAC but as drives had got larger I switched back to FLAC.

For phones I converted all the FLAC/APE files to LAME 256k VBR, however phones are now getting to the point storage wise where I'm going to go all FLAC soon. Its just the matter of cleaning up my phone and computer music libraries so they match.

snowsurfer

I use 512Gb MicroSD cards in my Fiio M9 and Galaxy S9, FLAC. Stopped using lossy years ago.

Top Bottom