• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What kind of sound signature when connect DAC to AMP

SantaRomaGeorge

Hello, I'm new here

I would like to know when you connect USB (input) -> DAC -> AMP, what the sound signature of output?

For example. PC USB -> Zen DAC -> Zen CAN -> Headphone

The main sound signature is from Zen DAC and Zen CAN only amplified ?

or DAC and DarkVoice336, the sound going to mixed between DAC and OTL ?

THANK YOU.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For state of the art electronics (DAC/AMPs): Most likely very very little to no contribution to sound quality.

Simply speaking DAC/Amps (electronics) contribute maybe 1% to sound quality (99% is speaker (or headphones) and room, so better invest in speakers and room EQ).
Modern state of the art amps and dacs do not change the audio signal in an audible way. Every claim to the opposite is based on subjective, unproven observations often paired with commercial interests.

See here

And here

Last edited:
OP
S

SantaRomaGeorge

Most likely very very little to no contribution to sound quality.

Simply speaking DAC/Amps (electronics) contribute maybe 1% to sound quality (99% is speaker (or headphones) and room, so better invest in speakers and room EQ).
Modern state of the art amps and dacs do not change the audio signal in an audible way. Every claim to the opposite is based on subjective, unproven observations often paired with commercial interests.

See here

And here

wow, this is what i'm looking for. thank you, sir :D

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Mind you, the DarkVoice 336SE is literally about the opposite of "state of the art" and would be the proverbial exception from the rule. Review
You can have all kinds of fun with that thing, starting from the interaction of its nonzero output impedance with headphone impedance and resulting frequency response deviation, non-negligible distortion and a bit of hum and not ending at ground loop noise if you dare using it on a PC. It's all kinds of shortcomings and design issues neatly wrapped up in a box. Not far from an effects box, really.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wow, this is what i'm looking for. thank you, sir :D
You are welcome.

Just to avoid misunderstandings. I did not specifically research any measurements or reviews of the DACs/amps you listed. My intention was merely to give you guidance so you can understand measurements / reviews for yourself. (I have edited my initial post accordingly).

Indeed the DarkVoice is not State of the Art (as by now you can see and deduct for yourself from the measurements).

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
"Sound signature" is more like "audiophile terminology" than "audio science terminology". ;) With electronics we are concerned with noise, distortion, and frequency response, and with amplifiers we can include amplifier power, etc.

With electronics, distortion and frequency response are almost always better than human hearing so usually noise is the only thing to be concerned with (background hiss, hum, or whine). If there is no audible noise there is usually NOTHING to be concerned with! And in that case nothing can be "improved", unless you want an effect like boosted bass or added reverb, etc.

Usually, noise comes from analog amplification, and usually that's hiss (white noise). Power-line hum can come from the amplifier's power supply or from a ground loop.

Audible noise from a DAC is rare but since USB power is often noisy, if you have a USB-powered DAC, sometimes noise can leak-into the analog-side of the DAC. (Noise from a computer power supply is usually "whine".)

With speakers, other things come into play such as directivity and interaction with room acoustics. But with speakers and headphones, the main thing is frequency response, which will also be altered by room acoustics. Distortion in speakers is normally much worse that electronics, but not always audible. You can get bad distortion if you try to get too much bass from a small woofer, etc. Speakers don't generate noise unless they rattle, or something like that.

Audiohoolery is worth reading...

Top Bottom