• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What kind of DAC product would excite you again?

ThatGuyYouKnow

I agree, many of the comments here are about input switching, DSPs. analogue preamps, ADCs etc. The Digital-to-Audio-Converter (DAC) is the bit that almost no-one is discussing! It probably is a consequence of it being a "solved problem".
As for suite of inputs, I think that's a very important factor for DACs. There should be a little more expectation of these devices than merely converting digital to analog. I remember some saying that DACs should not even be bothered to have 12v triggers, which is silly.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ is my end game DAC. I can do all the PEQing on the PC and add special effects via Peace EQ and it can simply sit behind the monitor never to be seen for years until I change something or clean stuff. Wait! I have that DAC now...LoL. :D

Reactions: GPJ

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Combined functionality:
-Multi-protocol streaming
-DSP/Dirac
-user-calibrated auto dynamic loudness
-RME-style staged volume
-Purifi amplification

This is what I have, but it involves REW/Roon/Raspbery PI with ROPIEEXL/RME DAC/NAD c298. I want it all-in-one with Roon controlling the volume.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This would be it for me.
You do know that one already exists. It’s portable and not a desktop version. But it clearly demonstrates that it can be done and done pretty inexpensively.

Gigachad

Stretch to $338 (use the drop down menu) ..... Apos Certified with one year warranty. All of the Apos Certified gear I've bought is like new.

Oh thanks mate, thats a brilliant offer! Didn't see it so cheap yet.

Reactions: GPJ

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me at least... I think SINAD is something no one needs to worry about with many of today's DACs (and ASR has a role policing the market to make sure that stays the case)... but the feature sets of DACs are not at a point where I'd remotely consider an "upgrade".

In a modular, "separates" system these days, the DAC is the Preamp. And to me a competent preamp in 2023 must offer:
  1. DAC functionality, with >100dB SINAD plus ... blabla (most do that these days, and those who don't while blabbering about performance should be put out of business)
  2. Stereo sub out with configurable xover from 40 to 200Hz (mandatory)
  3. Integrated room correction (very desirable)
  4. Competent headphone amp (why not?)
Anything that costs over, let's say, $1.5k should have all that. Without that, I won't even consider. And preciously few DACs offer that these days. I still keep a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, but currently don't use it because of those usability considerations.

TimF

Forum Donor
Back in the day when audio equipment had in my mind mythic qualities and intangibles; and the engineers of the various manufacturers had brilliance, and perhaps even magic to endow the designs with sparkle and phoo phoo....back then, I hoped and expected that good, better and best equipment would and could enliven my listening and lead to those times when I was present and alert in the music. Good equipment, it turns out, doesn't add magic. The DAC, the amp, the cables, the electricity have a specific function that when done good enough meets the needs of the audio reproduction chain, and the perceptual capabilities of humans. Good enough and quite capable equipment is now readily available and, surprise, it needn't be very expensive. Isn't that wonderful? Well, I'm not sure. I kinda liked hoping the next piece of equipment was endowed with the magic phoo phoo. Now, I am left with the music speaking for itself.

Barrelhouse Solly

At least people in this forum believe DAC is a problem that has already been solved. If you see it as a tool for converting audio signals from digital to analog world, then I don't think there will be a DAC that can excite anyone again. Can you imagine being excited about a new screwdriver or a hoe invented and produced this year? Even for DACs with rich features like the ADI-2 DAC, most of the functions are already perfectly solved by software for quite long. People are still constantly reviewing new products of course, but I always feel that the purpose of new products is just being "new product" so people are willing to buy them, or as a replacement for old or broken ones, not because they have provided any new solutions to any problems. So do you think whether there will be a DAC product that can excite you again in the future? If there is, what kind of DAC do you think it should be?"

For me, I think it would be interesting to be able to load VSTs into the DSP for audio processing, similar to Apollo's audio interface. This way I can simulate various distortions, or use plugins to achieve functions similar to spatial audio. But maybe it doesn't solve any problem either, because loading VSTs in DAW software can also achieve this and sometimes much better and more convenient. Also multi-channel DACs are very useful, and perhaps ADAT interface expansion can be considered on the DAC, such as developing expansion modules with multiple digital interfaces or multiple analog interfaces. Each type of module can be purchased as needed.
Amir mentioned hoes. I like screwdrivers. I'd like a powered multi-bit screwdriver that is incapable of destroying screw heads. Even with a clutch it still happens.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir mentioned hoes. I like screwdrivers. I'd like a powered multi-bit screwdriver that is incapable of destroying screw heads. Even with a clutch it still happens.
Milwaukee tools makes one/them. I bought one (Was very expensive but the best.) for instrumentation panels assembly to keep the screws good and consistent torque with the very accurate clutch and it was a dream come true. I searched the .ca website and found these. I never read the specs but there's bound to be one you like here. Very nice tools.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yes, if you're just adding effects for recording a guitar or something, it can easily be done in a DAW with current software.
What can't be done with current software is a permanent DSP/EQ on your interface outputs, which applies to all sounds from all sources, including low latency ASIO. I wrote about it before. Whoever implements that at a reasonable price gets my money.
And the capability to load VSTs through the driver sounds nice, but now I think having DSP on the device itself is better. It's more foolproof, more portable and if the manufacturer provides and open API, it could also run 3rd party effects.
Yep, bring on the PC as PrePro software....

beeface

I don't know if this already exists, but maybe the following is a platform people would be interested in.
Essentially, it's an open source Linux based computer for DSP purposes with a custom enclosure with high performance DAC and ADC in the same box.

• Based on a Raspberri Pi, ARM or similar platform - something low powered and able to be sufficiently cooled silently, and can run a custom Linux OS
  • Lightweight Linux OS is designed to strictly to be a headless DSP device
  • High performance ADC and DAC add-ons that connect to mainboard via GPIO or similar - only one small consumer-grade enclosure should be used
  • Enclosure has a simple screen on the front like a consumer DAC to show basic information like volume level, etc.
  • Lots of analogue and digital I/O options. Maybe a DB25 breakout could be an option for power users
  • Uses a web server via Ethernet or Wi-Fi so that users can access a web interface GUI from their phone, tablet or PC. Presets can also be easily loaded onto device
  • Can be used with a Flirc USB dongle if users wish to use a remote control for volume control, etc
  • NOT designed to be a source endpoint or music server - BYOD if you want to use Roon or a streaming service
  • Typically would be sold by a manufacturer pre-built and pre-configured as a simple consumer solution, but can also be a DIY platform for advanced users

With all that said, I do think there are existing products that come close but don't quite hit the mark. Imagine something like a MiniDSP SHD engineered by RME with a really good, simple to use yet powerful web interface GUI - pretty much perfect

Edit: at this point I'm aware we've strayed a long way from a simple DAC, so my apologies for that

Last edited:

beeface

To me this seems to be the hardest bit.
Definitely. Most of what I described could mostly be achieved with software and off-the-shelf parts, but there is a good chunk of engineering and manufacturing needed to fill the gaps

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't imagine anything in the way of a DAC that means much these days.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't get excited about a DAC but I do get stoked up reading a good review. I bought the JDS ATOM DAC+ because it's utilitarian and just has the best basic features that one needs with good sound. $109.00 and I got it in like 3 working days shipped to Canada. WoW!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d like a Bryston BDA-3.14 at a Topping price.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because I haven't seen bad engineering with this chip yet and I prefer it over ESS
And how exactly did you come to that conclusion?
What test methodology did you use that scientifically proofs that AKM sounds better than ESS?

Top Bottom