• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What kind of DAC and Headphone Amp can I use for the Focal Clear MG Pro - 55 ohms Headphones?

GuatemalanBeeps

Hi.
I'm thinking of buying the Focal Clear MG Pro Open-back headphones for mixing and producing music. I must clarify that I don't record acoustic instruments such as drums, guitars or voices. Most of the sounds I produce are with synthesizers, drum machines and samples. I produce experimental electronic music and hip hop mostly.

I was thinking of getting an Audient iD44 audio interface to use as a DAC, however the guys at Audient told me that the Focal Clear MG Pro headphones were not recommended for that interface. Can I use the iD44 as a DAC and use another external headphone amplifier for these headphones? Is it a good idea to use the Little Labs Monotor 2-channel Headphone Amplifier in this case? What options do you recommend? Thanks for helping this newbie with drum questions.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can I use the iD44 as a DAC and use another external headphone amplifier for these headphones? Is it a good idea to use the Little Labs Monotor 2-channel Headphone Amplifier in this case?

Yes, or any other headphone amp with the connectors you want and an output resistance below 10 Ohm.
cheap option = JDS labs Atom.

3125b

Major Contributor
The Clear requires a low output impedance since it is very prone to FR changes. The JDS Atom is a safe choice of course. If you want to buy an interface, the Motu M4 would be good, the Clear is fairly sensitive and I don't think it comes with a balanced cable.

Top Bottom