• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Ajax

Forum Donor
Specifically because of ASR that I would not have bought otherwise, I just ordered the miniDSP UMIK-1 microphone - I'm happy with the sound of my speakers but I saw someone post measurements of the same pair after EQ and they cleaned up a lot, so I'm curious what I can achieve. I'll also be adding a subwoofer shortly and I'll need a mic to dial that in.

And I don't know if that's because or despite but I bought the Topping DX7s after looking at measurements here(probably first time I used the forum was for that) . The price($325 from Drop at the time) and features were right, and measurements confirmed it was "good enough" for me.
Hi,

I'm also going to purchase a microphone with the intent of cleaning up my speakers / room combination.

I'm interested in the process that you went through and the results. I assume you first measured with REW, however, how did you apply the EQ? With DSP software? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ajax

oldmanhifi

Replaced my Elac B6 speakers with DBR62s. Purchased a Google Chromecast audio off Ebay and signed up for Roon based on Amir's writeups. That prompted a subscription to Qobuz for hi-res streaming. Very happy!

(I probably should note the rest of my system: Mac mini as the Roon core server feeding the Chromecast audio via wifi to a Cambridge Audio CXA60 via Toslink. CXA60 drives the DBR62s and also feeds an SVS SB2000 Pro sub. Also have a Rega RP1 with an RB202 arm and Denon DL301 mk 2 cartridge going into a Denon SUT to a Vincent PHO-8. Finally, still have my old Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, but it doesn't get much use since I ripped my favorite CDs and store the files on the Mac mini.)

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

Hi,

I'm also going to purchase a microphone with the intent of cleaning up my speakers / room combination.

I'm interested in the process that you went through and the results. I assume you first measured with REW, however, how did you apply the EQ? With DSP software? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ajax
If your setup uses a Windows PC as a source, all you need besides REW is Equalizer APO.
Here's a very simple and easy to follow video that got me started:

I use Peace GUI with Equalizer APO, but that's optional.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping d10 and nx4
rme adi 2 dac
Mogami cable.
Purifi amps likely soon.

I now look at choosing a component in a very different way and expect alot more for my money.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Here my equipment all by asr.
Pi4 + SMSL M400 + Benchmark LA4 + AHB2*2 biamp.

what's the temperature / humidity measuring thing? (I like the emot face)

noname

almost the whole system
RPi4
Topping D90
KEF R700 (Not tested here but I saw the link of its measurements here)

The next power amp would be either Benchmark AHB2 or Purify or Topping mono block.

anon2k2

Forum Donor
JDS Atom stack, Topping D90/A90 stack, Topping D50s/A50s stack, Topping E30/L30 Stack, SMSL 500, Hypex DIY monoblocks and multiple Meizu, E1DA, TempoTec dongles.

deprogrammed

Topping D10. Also will go Denon instead of Marantz for a new receiver.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Topping E & L 30, Drop 6XX 'phones. CNET recommended the Acer Aspire 5. I've got music on Apple lossless files. I've really happy with the sound.

Dudi

Mostly everything, except speakers:

Matrix X-Sabre Pro
Okto Research DAC Stereo
D-Class amplifiers: Hypex NC250MP based (Hattor 250W), Purifi 1ET400A DIY
Streamer (I recognised USB + low noise are the important factors at streamers): Allo USBridge Signature, RPI4 in Okto Researc DAC

Thank you ASR community and Amirm !

Top Bottom