• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Ajax

Forum Donor
Topping D30
RME ADI2-DAC
Benchmark AHB2
All giving full satisfaction from day 1.

+ on my way to purchasing 4 channels of Purifi amplification, in some form or other.

Items sold : a number of esoteric preamps, DACs and cables... :rolleyes:

Did you see these at Audiophonics?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...oies-class-d-purifi-4x400w-4-ohm-p-14452.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...annel-class-d-ncore-4x250w-4-ohm-p-14356.html

Based on Archimago and ASR reviews I'm wondering out loud if you/I could here a difference between the ncore and the purify and whether the extra $ for the purify is worth it, unless you wanted to play very insensitive speakers very loud.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Did you see these at Audiophonics?
Based on Archimago and ASR reviews I'm wondering out loud if you/I could here a difference between the ncore and the purify and whether the extra $ for the purify is worth it, unless you wanted to play very insensitive speakers very loud.
You bet I saw them, the HPA Q400 is on my short list, as well as the LPA S400 (2 units in this case). I tend to prefer Purifi Audiophonics builds over Hypex ones because they offer an input stage bypass option, which would be convenient given the gain structure of the system I have in mind. Apart from that, I wouldn't pretend I could tell one from the other once hooked up with proper levels and settings, neither to be immune to the old audiophile bias that leads you to believe it's worth spending bigger on more SOTA than SOTA...

posvibes

From my own recent experience you are going to be really pleased - For me, a decent DAC + Powered Speakers has proved to be a winning combo. I did find that had to make a further investment in speaker stands to get the placement right & the best from my own JBL's YMMV

Well I finally got to play the JBL 305p Mkii's today via the Topping D30 DAC. How should I put this?

Wow!
yep
Wow!

I am in a medium sized room, the speakers are on stands probably 8' apart and 8'-9' feet from the listening position. Flat dial in in regards to HF & Boundary settings, just plug and played.

I am really impressed.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Well I finally got to play the JBL 305p Mkii's today via the Topping D30 DAC. How should I put this?

Wow!
yep
Wow!

I am in a medium sized room, the speakers are on stands probably 8' apart and 8'-9' feet from the listening position. Flat dial in in regards to HF & Boundary settings, just plug and played.

I am really impressed.
Nice! Enjoy them!

marcom22

Dx7s DAC topping --> Little dot mkiii --> Elac Dbr-62 --> and in this month --> Hypex Nc252mp Amplifier ...... so only item that are on ASR and I agree in totally with the reviews and measurements

Iglo

Forum Donor
100% based on this forum I bought the Topping L30 and E30.

AndrewDavis

Oh Jeez. This is going to be a long list. In the interest of brevity I will only list the items I currently own:

Topping D90
RME ADI-2
VTV Purifi Amp
Massdrop Thx AAA 789
JDS Labs Atom
Khadas Tone Board

kukocz

Forum Donor
Based on this forum I bought Topping DX3 Pro. Then I built my DIY Purifi based power amp. And the last but not least - DAC Soncoz LA-QXD1 :)

Feanor

Forum Donor
I've purchased based ASR reviews:
  • Topping DX7s DAC & headphone amp
  • Topping D50 DAC
  • An Ncore NC252MP-base power amp partly based on the IOM NCore Pro review
  • A Schiit Audio Freya + preamp partly based on the Freya S review.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Ordered a SMSL DAC to compare it with my Modi. Going to be a bit untidy with the color scheme.

laidick

Forum Donor
Here my equipment all by asr.
Pi4 + SMSL M400 + Benchmark LA4 + AHB2*2 biamp.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_211613.jpg
    IMG_20200907_211613.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 217

tjkadar

Based solely on Audiosciencereivew.com I recently added:
MiniDSP SHD
March Audio P451 Monoblocks

With information gleaned from this site, I also built a couple 12" subwoofers and am powering them with two bridged Crown XLS 1502s. Now I need to run a 20 amp circuit to the room to power 3950 watts into 4 ohms or 2604 watts into 8 ohms of amplification.

hawk01

thanks to ASR my plans to buy a new DAC became easier, and MUCH cheaper in the process! got the SMSL sanskrit 10gen mkII. spent less than half the budget i had in mind for a pricier popular brand DAC. cheers to chi-fi!

i also bought an ELAC DBR62 after its measured performance proved its good value! otherwise i may have needed to save and spent more in the much hyped brand K€F L$5@!

i am also in the process of selling something coz of what i have learned from ASR! its a revered british speaker brand which the ELAC replaced! its remarkable the wealth of experience i have gained in a few months after discovering ASR!

cheers!

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

Specifically because of ASR that I would not have bought otherwise, I just ordered the miniDSP UMIK-1 microphone - I'm happy with the sound of my speakers but I saw someone post measurements of the same pair after EQ and they cleaned up a lot, so I'm curious what I can achieve. I'll also be adding a subwoofer shortly and I'll need a mic to dial that in.

And I don't know if that's because or despite but I bought the Topping DX7s after looking at measurements here(probably first time I used the forum was for that) . The price($325 from Drop at the time) and features were right, and measurements confirmed it was "good enough" for me.

Top Bottom