• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hopefully they'll stump up an all-expenses paid trip for Amir and Thomas to frolic together at the Monaco Grand Prix or that cool island of Richard Branson's in lieu of commission for all those sales.
You'd think so , I mean that's the least they could do. Topping paid my mortgage, other ASR affiliates need to step up!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D10 An There was a reference from a pro audio site found (i thought) on ASR that was advicing to use brands like Harbert, ATC or Vandersteen ( for clearity/staging) for beeing used An recognised as one of the top brands used by pro studio's tlll today so i could get hold on a Vandersteen.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Richard was obviously not paying attention in biology class.

It seems he went in for a closer look...

1583473930654.jpeg

nm4711

I only bought the Apple Dongle and I am pretty happy with it. ;)
But this was the only audio equipment I bought since I read ASR. Furthermore Amp measurements have greatly influenced my view. I would probably only buy Class D Amps right now.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hypex NC400, of which I have now made 6 channels, in 4 cases, a year ago, 4 channels of which are in regular use. Then Drop THX AAA 789 and Topping D50s, months ago, neither of which I have even turned on, yet! And, finally (can an audiophile say that?), I have bought, but not yet deployed, 6 channels (3 cases) of Purifi 1ET400A amps, awaiting my preferred case solutions. That is all.

Karu

Forum Donor
My “portable” feed from iphone/ipad couch-bedroom-kitchen headphone setup. Apple dongle, Topping NX3s, Tempotec HD Pro, HE400i, DT-1770, (and SHP9500).

murraycamp

Forum Donor
miniDSP SHD
JDS Atom
Topping d50s
Hypex or purifi amp (in process)
Revel f208 (in process)
Chromecast Audio

Midwest Blade

Amazon Echo Link
Emotiva A-100 Amplifier
Made a 10ft pair of Mogami W3103 Speaker Cables

Now for what I would like to buy....

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is directly responsible for my purchase of the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp, a Topping D50s DAC, a UMIK-1 measurement mic (and stand) and an Apple dongle.

ASR is indirectly responsible for the purchase of a pair of JBL 1 Series 104 monitors (purchased before ASR review), Massdrop HE4XX headphones and a Raspberry Pi 4.

ASR will shortly be are also responsible for the purchase of a pair of JBL 305p MkII monitors to replace the 104's.

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
So far only the Schiit Heresy as a direct result of ASR but here on out pretty much anything I acquire will have to be highly ASR-approved...

Digital Mastering System

Topping D50s, Meizu HiFi Pro Very happy with both.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the risk of thread drift, ASR hasn't resulted in a purchase, but Frank's posts on turntables has resulted in me restoring the LF filtering on my turntables' phono stages. These are essential for broadcast use as any excess LF will just soak up transmitter modulation for no good reason, but I thought that at home it wasn't necessary so I bypassed the filters.

Having read Frank's posts, it got me thinking about what else excessive LF does, not just with headroom, as I'm not short of that, but for LF distortion in particular. This afternoon the bypasses came off.

S

Top Bottom