• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Timmeon

Allo DigiOne
Elac DBR62
| Sold these, wasn't charmed by their sound or appearance. They were replaced by Totem Arros (amazing but tiny) and later swapped for larger Hawks
Benchmark DAC3 HGC | Love the all-in-one package with analog inputs, HP amp and remote, all with solid engineering and build quality
Topping L30 & E30 | These were fine but sold because redundant with the DAC3 HGC.
DCA Aeon 2 Noire

Sold my Chord DAC and various other doodads (tube buffer? Why did I buy this??) due to the influence of this site. I'm fairly positive the Totems measure like dogshit but they're so satisfying. Hope they never find their way to Amir's chopping block!

Also picked up a Bryston 3B SST2 secondhand (the 3B actually fit in my media cabinet) because power, plus an amazing transferrable 20-year warranty. Hope some Bryston gear is reviewed here eventually.

I really enjoy this forum and while I'm still an audio idiot, I enjoy listening to music through this gear immensely. Satisfied for now :)

Zorlac

Top rated (SINAD) DAC and pre-amp from Topping. My OCD feels much better now. ;)
Purifi amps.
I also no longer worry about stuff like most all "high-end" cabling and power management products. Feels good.

Michou

JBL Studio 530 speakers, Behringer A800 amplifier, Schiit SYS passive, Hidizs & Tempotec USB dongles, Klipsch Powergate all-in-one, Truthear X Crinacle Zero, Wiim mini. Because I'm cheap...

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Allo Digione Player then Allo Boss 2 Player
KEF R3's
Denon 3700 AVR
Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

Thank$ A$R - I think.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Audioegine B-Fi streamer (now retired)
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 integrated amp/streamer (best audio purchase ever!)
SVS 3000 Micro subwoofer
Apple Music subscription

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Bought because of ASR:
RME ADI-2 DAC
Genelec 8040
Bose QC35II
Focus Fidelity

Sold because of ASR:
Croft valve pre and power amps
Audioquest optical and USB cables

These and other changes to my system based on advice here have made it sound far better than I ever could have hoped, saved me around £2000, and relieved me of endless audiophile upgrade anxiety.

All in all, thanks ASR!

FINFET

Forum Donor
Truthear Zero IEMs, they are pretty good and it's quite hard to take a meaningful quality leap from the zero. A perfect start point for IEM beginners.

Several Topping products (A90, A30 Pro, DX1, D50s) for my other PC setups. With the toppings I know I can't get any better.

The daily driver PC is using ADI-2 Pro but that's a purchase before knowing ASR. ASR made me like my RME more.

Motu M2, nice little interface with more than enough spec.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Most recently, a boXem l audio Arthur 4215/E2 - terrific amp.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I used to sell AV in college and had developed a brand bias for marantz. About three years ago I started an upgrade journey to separates. Because of ASR I switched from buying a Marantz AV 8505, paused my search, and started focusing on what Amir called “good engineering hygiene.” In the following lull, I bought a Denon A110 to use as a prepro and went all Class D Hypex Ncore amps to create a 7.2.4 system. I then sold my A110 and skipped a few interim incremental purchases (probably saving me money) and instead bought a Trinnov Altitude 16.

Firespeed

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be quick but this forum and the detailed tests published here have allowed me to grow and discover a whole new world for the past year.

To summarize, here are the changes and purchases / resales made thanks to or because of ASR:

2020 - 2021 (before the discovery of ASR):
  • Amp: Integrated HEGEL H90
  • Streamer : Bluesound Node 2i (COAX)
  • Speaker : JMR Folia Jubile
  • Sub : Elipson PlanetSub

2021 - now :
  • Amp : Loxje A30 (for 1 month) and then once the awareness is done, switch to Toppinng PA5 + E50
  • Streamer : Volumio OS installed on old laptop (USB) (personal library + spotify connect)

Same speakers and subwoofer...that express themselves like never before!

I also sold a lot of useless accessories such as overrated HP cables or hifi power plugs...

I now have a simpler, cheaper and much better sounding set.

Thanks ASR !!!

VQR

Truthear Zero (inarguably the best bang for the buck)

Sabaj A10d 2022 version (I like the minimal look that some might dislike)

Topping L70 (gobs of clean headphone power at nearly all impedences, also a nice preamp to boot)

Someday maybe the Topping LA90, probably the Discrete model which also should be as good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom