• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually, all my major current gear purchases have, by a large part, been selected after private discussions amongst a few people who made threads or posts about the gear. I’m certainly not the only person who’s done this! I oftentimes reach out to people on forums unsolicited in order to seek out valuable advice. It’s great.

Amir’s reviews are actually the last thing I take into consideration. :rolleyes: Though I do admit I have a very very close eye in the matrix audio Sabre dac. If one pops up used for a good price I’ll snap it up immediately.

vole-boy

Forum Donor
I haven't purchased any, but I surely got rid of a lot
I've ended up buying an smsl sp200 AND a Soncoz SDG1.. but justifying both as I'm intending to sell my Cavalli Liquid Carbon (not Massdrop) to compensate. So really I'm saving money in the long term, right?! Ahem...

vole-boy

Forum Donor
I've ended up buying an smsl sp200 AND a Soncoz SDG1.. but justifying both as I'm intending to sell my Cavalli Liquid Carbon (not Massdrop) to compensate. So really I'm saving money in the long term, right?! Ahem...
P.s. I decided this after doing the "reverse mother-in-law test"...I played her the Cavalli and smsl, and she preferred the Cavalli - so it's got to go

Wombat

Master Contributor
CDs.

I am not convinced that human hearing can differentiate higher digital specs outside of very limited and controlled circumstances and even then the results are challengeable and not particularly relevant to real-time listening experience.

Microscope stuff.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AHB2 and DAC3HGC. Peter Aczel first clued me in to Benchmark some years ago--I'd never heard of them. The test results here along with the ASR member's secondary commentary convinced me to pull the trigger on the combo. I also have to recognize Stereophile's John Atkinson and Kalman Rubinson (who posts here) for their reviews of Benchmark gear.

wje

Forum Donor
The XtremPro X1 is an insane value.
I bought 2.
1 for backup in case...

Somehow, I missed the review on this device. However, after seeing your post, I did order one from Amazon @ $35.00. Quite impressive. In fact, I like it better than the Schiit Fulla 2 that I sold a few weeks ago. The XtremPro X1 includes a nice USB dongle, small carry pouch for the stick and a nice 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter/dongle of about 6" in length. Very nice!!

wje

Forum Donor
I've bought a used Behringer A500, locally, after seeing the review. Granted, it has some weak points, but to my ears, it's a great performer.

Also, have the Crown XLS 1502 arriving on Saturday. Hopefully the IOTAXV SA3 will ship to Amir soon from the vendor, so Amir can put it through its paces, then send it onto me, where I put it into use.

Blur

Forum Donor
Geshelli Labs Archel 2.5
Topping D90
Topping D50
Drop 789 AAA THX ( Love this thing! )
Schiit Heresy

Each purchase was followed up by a direct A/B test with my A/B test rig to ensure the new gear sounds the same if not cleaner than the old stuff.

Sold my HeadRoom BUDA partially based on the measurements at ASR.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was already well over equipped when I discovered ASR so just a lowly Topping D10. Reading about different ways people measure their rooms and various DSP platforms has been very educational and interesting though.

skippy_ps

Topping D70, D50S.

gshi71l.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Just ordered a Topping E30 and Revel M106's (ok these weren't tested here, but we know the research :)).

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Would LOVE to see what ASR measurements would show as to the differences between the M106s and the M16s. If Revel made the M106s in white I would have ordered them last week. Instead I ordered the M16s. Very impressive.
The tweeter is the same I think, but I like to play loud so a better woofer should really benefit me.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have ordered a MiniDSP UMIK-1, but it seems to be taking its time getting here; presumably due to the effects of COVID.

I've never messed around with EQ/DSP before, but apparently JRiver Media Player, which I've used for some time, has everything I need built in, so I'm quite looking forward to trying it out.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Smsl su8 v2(will sell at some point)
Rme adi2
Revel f208
Behringer dcx2496(for postponed project)
Paradigm pw link(intro to room correction, will sell or give away)
Minidsp umik mic
F. Toole, Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms
Mitchco, Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP
M. Waldrop, A Users Guide to Better Sound

Up until the Revel purchase, I was in the black from selling off superfluous equipment. Had covid-19 not derailed my desire to have strangers audition equipment in my house, I'd be back around the break even point. Overall, I'm very happy with everything, and outside of keeping an eye out for a mini dsp shd, or dramatic technological inovations, I think I am done.

Edit: Something that bothered me for awhile after getting the f208's. I found my old speakers were just more exciting for a good selection of some of my favorite tracks. With my existing equipment, it had been very inconvenient to play with eq settings during operation. Enter the RME ADI2 and its eq and loudness settings. 5 minutes of reading the manual and bit of fiddling and my system sounds better than it ever has - at all volume levels with every type of music!

Last edited:

NhemeisZal0m0

topping d30, no i think, maybee it made me read audio science review? not sure
yamaha p3500 not S, mentioned in a post
topping dx3,
yamaha m4 (because I put it in the category with denon poa1500 witch was mentioned in a post together with sony ta-n77
sony TA-N55

Top Bottom