• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Short38

SMSL400es. Final DAC. Great remote. Nice build. Whatever comes out is what went in.

JRS

Major Contributor
More importantly I know what I want and understand why it's a proper fit. There have been a few items--Elac Ref Debut 6.2, Sundara Headphones, Crinicle zero ear buds, and Topping DX3 Pro+. Only the Topping do I have any misgivings. The drivers are a pain in the ass and I can't seem to pair on Blue Tooth consistently. A unit of this sort should be plug and play and forget about it.

Speakers I would consider based on review or the upper tier Revel, the Kef R3 (bought the Elacs instead), maybe a Blade 2, but if I had that much money I'd get electrostats. but if If I needed a power amp, likely Buckeye 502, or possibly the Purifi.
I'm not chasing SINAUD--anything over a 100dB strikes me as exemplary and pointless to improve upon.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Bought the WiiM Mini for its reputation and measurements here and at Stereophile, despite the rather elitist non-recommendation here.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ever stop to think that maybe someone already has plenty of good equipment. I own three systems and have no need to buy anything else.
I don't know, I was asking him! :D

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping D50

Topping DX3 Pro V2

Topping E50

UMIK-1

Nobsound MC3 3-IN-3-OUT XLR/RCA Selector Box

Neumann KH310 (x2)

VERY glad that I found ASR when I did as it seems quite a few folk here only discovered it after huge expenditure on hokey, snake oily bits and bobs.
Phew.

clemenules

Topping D30 (non pro)
Topping A30 (non pro)

Elac Dbr62 (second hand, 5 months old, mint condition, for half new price)

Yamaha R-S700 (second hand) for EUR 145 mint condition.

Yet to buy and also ASR's fault: measuring mic for improving living room and home office acoustics.

Other loudspeakers I'm not buying because of ASR: I don't even bother to auidition anything if I know it doesn't measure well here or at EAC.

What I didn't buy _despite_ ASR: kef r3 or kef r7. R3 seems the bomb, but I auditioned a pristine second hand pair R7 and found them so awful I ditched any plans of also auditioning R3. That one's still a mystery for me to solve. As is the Linton that measures well at EAC but didn't make a positive impression on me.

Last edited:

Jon wise

Topping E30 ii Topping L30 ii Sennheiser HD560s. Looking to get when I can afford them and invest the time to learn how to use them a minidsp of some flavour and measuring mic.

Palladium

Topping DX3 Pro, D50S (used)
SMSL D-6
Aiyima A07
Fosi BT30D Pro, BT20 Pro
Moondrop Chu
Salnotes 7Hz Zero

OldenEars

pioneer pd s504 though not exactly recommended on here. I will look for a budget dac from here maybe just to play with.

JeremyFife

ASR was (is) a real eye-opener for me and I came here just as I was getting back into hifi again.
Consequently, everything I have now is informed by what I read and learn here.

I don't think I'm blindly following ASR recommendations but I totally take the review's and discussions into account, as well as using that as a basis for my own research.
Turntable and Speakers are pre-ASR but I'm pretty happy with them, especially the speakers - but I will change them eventually.
Rega Io amp was what led me here ... it's gone now, because of ASR
Topping PA5 ... yeah, bought entirely on the ASR review ... that was interesting. It's been repaired and I'm happy (if more cautious now)
iFi Zen Phono - bought after some reflection, balancing out the the various reviews and my preferences. I'm happy with it
Topping L50 and Sennheiser HD560 - brilliant
miniDSP Flex (balanced) - brilliant, still trying to understand it
REW / Umik-1 - endlessly fascinating
Matrix Audio i2 Pro - bought, used, after a debate on "well made vs well measuring" - couldn't be happier
Genelec 8030c - astonishing

Don't think I will buy anything again without referencing this site, finding measurement-based review and opinion and sense-checking alternatives.

Lorenzo

Once again I don't regret having followed amirm's recommendations and buying the Topping L30 II, superb quality for 149 €, thank you !!!

wadude

Buckeye Amp. I was looking for a Hypex nc252mp based amp and got involved with the BA build thread. I'm really happy with it.

Streamc

KEF R3, KEF R3 Meta (not only ASR), Topping D90LE, Purifi Eigentakt.

Dan

Learned about the qudelix here. Best bang for your buck purchase I've made in audio. Qudelix + Senn HD800s + equalization = absolute musical bliss during work

Top Bottom