• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
SMSL M500, but I returned it because the output from my tv had too much jitter and it had trouble locking onto the signal. So that kinda sucked. Will buy something else the moment all this Corona bullshit is over and new DACs start appearing again. But I am mainly interested in loudspeakers now, and the M16 just made my shortlist. Maybe somebody in the US can send in R3's or M106's.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's me. Glad to do it.

I had replaced it with an ICEpower ICE125ASX2. And I forgot to mention in my post above. While the specific Chinese pre-built I bought was not measured by anyone, measurements at ASR of a couple of builds with that ICEpower module did persuade me to buy that amp. Guess I should have added it to my list in my previous post :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned a lot of stuff bought over the last 50 years so not much needed.
I changed my film watching stuff from an Oppo 105 into Parasound P7 for a Marantz 7704 fed by the HDMI of a Sony bluray player because of praise from another member and because it was much more convenient.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Care to elaborate? I was also considering getting that.
My ADI-2 DAC failed out of the blue while I was listening to it, as described here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-adi-2-dac-and-headphone-amp.7546/post-297961

The US distributor replaced it under warranty but replaced it with a B-stock unit with marks on the top of the case and an oddly wrecked up manual. They reportedly had no other available unit with which to replace it, but I don't know why that should have been my problem.

Despite the distributor's dropping the ball, dealer @suttondesign made it right. If you're in the States and are buying an ADI-2 DAC, buy one from him.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I bought a UMIK-1 to measure my room (previously was using Rode NT1-A mics, which are better for recording, but they don't have a frequency response calibration file as detailed as the UMIK-1).
A JDS Atom to replace a JDS Element that was very good, but not quite as transparent as I wanted.

Mostly the value of this site to me is what I've learned. My education and work is in math and engineering, I considered myself a pretty knowledgeable audiophile, but some of the "technical experts" and "luminaries" here are a real fountain of knowledge.

JeffGB

Sound Blasterx G6, Behringer umc404, Apple usbc dongle. Order of preference would be G6, then Apple dongle, and then the Behringer. Order of bugginess in a PC environment from best to worst: Apple dongle, Behringer, then G6. The Apple dongle just works, the umc404 works fine but has poor output voltage and poor overload for ADC, and the G6 usb disconnects if you don't adjust windows power to keep usb ports alive, and buggy software (which I was able to uninstall leaving just the driver). Many thanks to Amir for all the great knowledge gained here!

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
JDS Labs ELEMENT II . Couldn't be happier.

BillH

Forum Donor
Curious to what degree people use ASR reviews and feedback from the ASR community before buying gear.

For me personally I picked up a JDS Atom, a Topping D30 and a MOTU audio interface based on reviews. The newly reviewed Revel speakers look tempting as well, of course I have no need for them whatsoever.
Great question!
I was lurking for years before I joined so quite a lot of my current list is because of Amir's amazing work.
I bought the hifiman HX400 and topping A30 & D30 stack for working at the computer.
A handful of google chromecast audio
I just got the sierra 2-EX and really like them - but wondering if the JBL 580's at 63% off ($300 each) would make me just as happy.
Also considering the Linkwitz mini after the recent thread.
Future purchases - something with DSP and a DAC for my main system. MIniDSP or RME or....

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically all electronics of my main system:

- RME ADI-2 DAC (sold here)
- RME ADI-2 DAC V2
-
Chromecast Audio
- Hypex NC122MP and 250MPs (sold here)
- ICEpower 1200AS2.

Note that the last one hasn't been measured on ASR directly... but ASR helped a lot to understand AP measurements in many datasheets!

Edit:
OH yea,
a UMIK and REW also
Same here!

Last edited:

BillH

Forum Donor
OH yea,
a UMIK and REW also

dwkdnvr

I guess I have a few
JDS Atom
Tone Board
Sabaj D5
Minidsp SHD (had been interested, but the measurements here helped pull the trigger)
I already had a Neurochrome Mod-86 before it was tested here

doctorjuggles

Topping DX7s
I’d also already bought the Umik-1 and when I saw the guide on how to use it in here, promptly decided never to bother using it :D

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned a lot of stuff bought over the last 50 years so not much needed.
Same here. But I bought an RME ADI-2 PRO fs for measuring, needle drops (not yet done) and listening via headphone or the Gennies 8020a on my desktop. I use the EQ to correct FR of my HD800 and DT990pro.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Allo DigiOne
Topping DX7PRO
DIY Hypex amp kit

Good to have the confidence that what I hear actually is clean, rather than just thinking it so. (Still not convinced I would know the difference, but whatever).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I did buy a Khadas Tone Board based on the high rating just to see what an external dac might do, stemming from a conversation from a dac nut, but returned it as it only had a coax input and no optical, and in the setup I was going to use it in, the usb would be of little use.

Last edited:

Juicehifi

Audio Company
I bought a pair of cheap JBL monitors, partly due to a test here. They are not as good as the test indicated, IMO. Cabinet & driver quality makes a huge difference that doesn't manifest clearly in the measurements. I forgot that in the process, but the first listening was a reminder. Having said that, the speakers are a bargaign considering the price.

Top Bottom