• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

ripvw

Forum Donor
Topping DX7S
Topping D10
Topping NX4
Topping D90
Topping A90
JBL 308P MKII
JDS Labs Atom
Geshelli Labs Archel2
Geshelli Labs Archel2.5
Schitt Audio Magni Heresy
Benchmark XLR/RCA cables
Benchmark locking AC power cords

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's just the Massdrop THX 789

I was already sold on the RME ADI-2 DAC before I saw here because of its DSP features.

Amir needs to start testing some Stax amps to whip me into more of a buying frenzy.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Few things... And now waiting for the pair of Elac. I thought this website was a way to stop buying stupid things. In fact I sold a lot of them but with the money I am buying new things with good measurements. :facepalm:

EmilMadsen90

Topping D30 and JDS Labs Atom to use with my Audio-Technica ATH-M40X.
I was just about to get the JBL 305P MKII but then read about the hiss which is a deal breaker for me.

Get a hearing test

atom ktb and umc202hd (off of 204hd review) might also buy some terrible measuring dac just to test if good measurement = good listening experience.

Last edited:

ezra_s

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC and quite happy with it.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX7sDAC - and it is perfect for my needs and system. However, all purchases since I started hanging out here are at least influenced by ASR.

Topping DX7s.jpg

Last edited:

laudio

Was close to pulling the trigger on some Elac DBR 6.2s, then told myself... what's the rush? The KEF R3's look to be a nice step up.... just save a bit more. Have been living with 530's for several years. The preference/price chart here is very helpful MZKM.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC, THX AAA 789, certainly more to come (on the speaker end). ASR has also made me question some of my past purchases ... or at least validate some unfounded suspicions.

DubbyMcDubs

- Benchmark HPA4
- Benchmark AHB2
- Benchmark DAC3 B
- Topping D50s
- JDS Labs Atom
- Sound reproduction book
- Mini DSP mic

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have ordered a MiniDSP UMIK-1, but it seems to be taking its time getting here; presumably due to the effects of COVID.

I've never messed around with EQ/DSP before, but apparently JRiver Media Player, which I've used for some time, has everything I need built in, so I'm quite looking forward to trying it out.
The last time I seriously mucked about w/ equalization was with a Technics SH-8055 Equalizer w/ pink noise. It was awhile ago. I came to the conclusions that I needed better speakers and room acoustics and that I was not agreeing with the results. Speakers have come a longgg way since and I would like to try it again. I've used some DSP and surround sound components since but this was the EQ I used before. They sold like hotcakes too.
977931-technics-12-band-sh8055-equalizer.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

magicscreen

Jds Labs Atom
It has low sound quality.
I do not give a f*ck about measurements since then.

BeepPeep_61

Happy Easter to all,
after reading the relative test I purchased the MiniDSP SHD (on which I was already oriented for the DIRAC system on board).
20191124_182654.jpg

Excellent purchase, which solved my environmental acoustic problems.
Thanks again to Amirm for his tireless work and to all the members who allow this site to be the No.1 of its kind.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop THX AAA 789, Khadas Tone Board. I will also be buying either the Purifi Eval 1 Board, or the Hypex NC400 amp modules as well as some sort of Hypex SMPS to power those Modules. Will also be purchasing either the Octo Pro 8 or some variant of the mini DSP SHD w Amir recommended XLR DAC.

In the somewhat distant future I will be buying a directivity controlled Stereo Loudspeaker Pair. My obscure object of desire is currently the Dutch & Dutch 8c, but if some more economical and just as good (or very nearly so), I'll probably buy that more reasonably priced candidate instead.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have similar concerns. The Benchmark probably has less power than either the Hypex NC400 or the Purifi amp; and while the latter two fall short of the former in SINAD, theIr specs likely are more than good enough. The real issue may be how much we can rely on the build quality of the models available for purchase with these amps. That is not likely to be much of a concern for most of us in relation to the Benchmark. So if it's sufficiently powerful, as it is likely to be for me, that may be the way to go when one is ready to pay for it. For those of us in North America, there is the additional fact that the Benchmark is sold and can be serviced domestically, including in Canada.
The critical fail point for both the Purifi and the Hypex Nc400 is the SMPS. If it fails, that's easily diagnosed and a replacement SMPS is at most $225, and it is easily taken out and reconnected. So IMHO reliability is only a problem if it fails frequently. A swap out every 2-3 years is ok with me.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fiio A5, Khadas TB.

Interesting question as well: Which gear did you dismiss AFTER reading about in ASR? I think this list will be substantially longer :) ......
Banished my IFI IDSD Micro to my sock drawer.

Top Bottom