• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you NOT purchased as a result of ASR?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Shame about that assertion about NAD. I have no experience of the C368 but the 325BEE amplifier sounds superb - it's not expensive - and has incredible vice like bass grip (hi-end bass if you like).

Similarly happy with my C 326BEE. I do wonder why they run so warm at low volume, though.

snapcrackle

Similarly happy with my C 326BEE. I do wonder why they run so warm at low volume, though.

I listen to my (more than likely terrible measuring) Croft more than the NAD - but the NAD has the better bass control. Better than Musical Fidelity MS3i, Arcam A29 (Class G) etc .

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No more AVRs (was considering Denon AVR-X4500H), nothing from Monolith (not sure of brand consistency) and probably no dedicated streamer (will buy a DAC for my MAC instead).

Overall, am fairly confident that ASR saved me at least as much as I donated originally. :)

Last edited:

snapcrackle

Same here. I was very much set on getting a Devialet too but ... nah!!!

The Devialet forum are saying the one tested was probably faulty. In circumstances like this - I would take the benefit of the doubt and listen to one myself see how it sounds. I wouldn't want one however (I don't like the styling) but if I did hanker for one I wouldn't take the ASR review as gospel just in case it was faulty.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Devialet forum are saying the one tested was probably faulty. In circumstances like this - I would take the benefit of the doubt and listen to one myself see how it sounds. I wouldn't want one however (I don't like the styling) but if I did hanker for one I wouldn't take the ASR review as gospel just in case it was faulty.
Well let them send another for review then, since the manufacturer is mute.

Last edited:

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totaldac d1-six..
Now I can play cool & say if it measured bad nor was recommended, I spared my funds for something better :cool:.

(...instead of just to confess that I'm broke and wouldn't buy it in any case :facepalm::oops:)

snapcrackle

Totaldac d1-six..
Now I can play cool & say if it measured bad nor was recommended, I spared my funds for something better :cool:.

(...instead of just to confess that I'm broke and wouldn't buy it in any case :facepalm::oops:)

Heck I wouldn't buy a totaldac - it's just so expensive! But again - I wouldn't dismiss it on measurements alone if I could afford it.

Crane

Forum Donor
Marantz SR8005, decided to buy Denon 3600 until a good pre is offered. Which I've had for over 6 months and am quite happy with as a daily driver for my entertainment center!

Tks

Major Contributor
Heck I wouldn't buy a totaldac - it's just so expensive! But again - I wouldn't dismiss it on measurements alone if I could afford it.

I dismiss it because it looks like a DIY effort someone with a bit of money had gone ahead and done, but stopped half-way when he realized the design he actually wants wouldn't profit him as much as he liked. The whole company's product stack looks just old, and uninspired, attempting to pass of designs as peak aesthetics while reusing shells almost. Not bothered to foster a decent looking website also contributes to this whole ordeal. And the silence from the creator with respect to the measurements revealed is telling of the superficial judgment assigned to many high-end one-man operations being virtually con-men stands as more reason not to consider this thing. The man touts an electronics education... Laughable honestly.

The totaldac company is like Devialet but seemingly run by a single-man operation without the insane billionaire backing. Except unlike Devialet, can't hold up appearances of grandeur (at least Devialet has products that look like attractive art from a pretentious lot. The totaldac looks like someone trying to create avant-garde minimalism of the 80's or something). For the price, it just don't look like much of any kind of work was done. Sure as shit not with performance to say the least.

snapcrackle

I dismiss it because it looks like a DIY effort someone with a bit of money had gone ahead and done, but stopped half-way when he realized the design he actually wants wouldn't profit him as much as he liked. The whole company's product stack looks just old, and uninspired, attempting to pass of designs as peak aesthetics while reusing shells almost. Not bothered to foster a decent looking website also contributes to this whole ordeal. And the silence from the creator with respect to the measurements revealed is telling of the superficial judgment assigned to many high-end one-man operations being virtually con-men stands as more reason not to consider this thing. The man touts an electronics education... Laughable honestly.

The totaldac company is like Devialet but seemingly run by a single-man operation without the insane billionaire backing. Except unlike Devialet, can't hold up appearances of grandeur (at least Devialet has products that look like attractive art from a pretentious lot. The totaldac looks like someone trying to create avant-garde minimalism of the 80's or something). For the price, it just don't look like much of any kind of work was done. Sure as shit not with performance to say the least.

Well I must admit I own equipment built by a single-man operation without massive financial backing - and I can almost guarantee it will measure badly (without really knowing) - I really like Croft amplifiers (mosfet / valve hybrid).

When I put something up against the Croft from better known brands like Marantz and Yamaha - I still prefer the Croft.

So I guess I like what the Croft is "adding" to the mix - assuming it's adding to the mix if I can assume it does not measure well.

What can I say - I don't have oscilloscope like ears :(

Tks

Major Contributor
Well I must admit I own equipment built by a single-man operation without massive financial backing - and I can almost guarantee it will measure badly (without really knowing) - I really like Croft amplifiers (mosfet / valve hybrid).

When I put something up against the Croft from better known brands like Marantz and Yamaha - I still prefer the Croft.

So I guess I like what the Croft is "adding" to the mix - assuming it's adding to the mix if I can assume it does not measure well.

What can I say - I don't have oscilloscope like ears :(

I wouldn't throw one man operations under the bus. We got a few folks here that've shown first hand how much a single person can do. March Audio, Tom Chrstiansan, Orchard Audio, Geshelli Labs, and possibly a few others' I'm missing.

The one man operations that suck are the one I alluded to. The ones that cower from Audio Precision like they're all harboring Covid-19 in the units.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus.

If it wasn't for ASR, I would have gotten this, it has most of the features I need, well within my budget, I liked their CD player, and it's a reputable brand known for good value and reasonable price. If not for ASR, I would never buy some Chinese brand that I never heard of over this one.

Although if I bought it, it would be far from my worst audio decision.

That and some high end custom pure silver XLR cables.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- A lot of Audio-GD DACs. R2R DACs in general.
- The Klipsch RP600M (To a friend overhyped)
- The JBL HDI-1600 and Buchardt S400 (To the benefit of the R3 I just ordered instead)
- Many stereo amps which have not been measured here (or elsewhere).
- Stop recommending the SMSL AD18 to friends.
- To a greater extent: everything that has not be measured at all, here or elsewhere.

Top Bottom