• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not think that KDE, MATE and gnome are the OS per se?
No not the OS, but how we interact with the OS. I noticed those using Linux were using other desktops. So my mention of my favorite desktop environment.

Budgeter

There is a thing that should be mentioned though. Many people dislike Windows because of their automatic / breaking changes updates, which are fair reasons. It's their own devices so they can do whatever they want. However, these un-patched system with a darn tons of vulnerabilities are a nightmare for cyberspace in general.
Personally, I wish there is a way to fully enforce security patches/settings to all Internet-connected systems around the worlds (no possible work around). It's a real problem when these compromised devices affect others (e.g. botnet for DDoS, WannaCry attack, etc).

D

Deleted member 36131

Hey guys and gals, what is your preferred operating system at home?

Comments and stories how you have ended up in your current operating system are warmly welcomed. :)

Been using Linux for >20Years at home.

For the last 15 years its been Fedora as my daily driver. I have a tri-boot system so I have KDE-Neon and Zorin Linux on my other drives...just for added fun.

Before that, like many others it was Windoz and of course I tried Mac but it never grew on me...

Lots of good stable distros of Linux these days

"Have you ever stood and stared at it? Marveled at its beauty, its genius?" - Agent Smith..he's talking about Fedora Linux!!:cool:

D!sco

I had all the crazy desktop setups on earth, gaming, dev, the like. Now all I have is my macbook pro. It's all most people need anyways.

When I get into the nitty gritty, it's like using ubuntu command line just enough to make sense and give me the access I really need. I don't even multi-boot anymore. If I really need Ubuntu or Windows, I just use VMWare. I could do with a new monitor, though.

MalinYamato

Mine is Linux but that's kinda problem with audio as streaming services do not usually make their stuff compatible with Linux.
I could not run Tidal with MQA otus on my Linux box so I had to buy a Raspberry pi to run Volume3 in it and it works that way.

MalinYamato

Been using Linux for >20Years at home.

For the last 15 years its been Fedora as my daily driver. I have a tri-boot system so I have KDE-Neon and Zorin Linux on my other drives...just for added fun.

Before that, like many others it was Windoz and of course I tried Mac but it never grew on me...

Lots of good stable distros of Linux these days

"Have you ever stood and stared at it? Marveled at its beauty, its genius?" - Agent Smith..he's talking about Fedora Linux!!:cool:
I am addicted to Linux, it is dope for programmers.

MalinYamato

Yeah but we don’t see many viruses on VMS
OHH VMS -- long time no see -- I worked for the company Digital Equipment that created VMS and use to hack C on it.

nerdstrike

Time to hand in my geek card, the most devices in the house are Android, then Tizen of all things... Considering my professional life is 100% Linux, all I've got to show for it is a raspberry pi and Linux for Windows subsystem.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
OSes.png

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's great! Although given that at least in my experience, Macs are viable for longer than WinBlowz machines, and considering the value of my time not #$%*ing around with the system, maybe Apple is NOT actually more expensive. Heck, the amount I save in homicide attorney bills more than pays for itself!

D

Deleted member 46664

Hey guys and gals, what is your preferred operating system at home?

Windows 7 64 bit...
Because it is the last windows version where you can actually shut down all the "phone home" activity with Microsoft.

Also because it has the best implementation of WASAPI and "Exclusive Mode" for music.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows have switched from product to service model.
People complained when updates were released sparsely by WinOS.
Then, they complained when it became automatic pushes, as with other OSs.
Above referenced "people" are those who were too cheap to pay extra for the non-Home versions of Windows.

Can someone explain to me what exactly the LG WebOS does?
It is based on some old Linux Kernel but I don't even know where the hood latch is.

KMM

Win 11pro for my two NUCs one of which runs Roon Core more or less exclusively.

Top Bottom