• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

mansr

Major Contributor
Funny side note: In danish 'skat' means 'treasure' or 'sweetheart'. My fiancée often yells "SKAT!" when she wants my attention (as in "sweetheart/darling!") and if she's on a group call with English speaking colleagues, it's sure to cause a big laugh.
It's related to the German word Schatz with the same meaning.

Budgeter

Open source promotes security for several reasons, not the least of which is because it means the code can be has been read and audited by more eyeballs than any proprietary closed source OS could ever be. Claude Shannon coined one of the first rules of security: "assume the adversary knows the system". "Security through obscurity" violates this rule and doesn't work in the long term. Linux is rare on desktop, but something like 75% of all internet servers run Linux and its variants.
Your reason is debatable though. Everyone when talking about this topic brings up that reason. I'm a developer myself but not a cyber sec/op expert so I have no comment. But consider that even the tech leaders are still arguing, I will not trust one side.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My primary operating system is Mac OS X, which I run on a hackintosh workstation. For gaming, I have a dedicated Windows machine. Both are attached to a KVM.

shal

Counts as incest at worst or nepotism at best (middle doors are harems, some religious orders and some French management concept)...
I am French and I am curious, what is "French management concept" ?
We have more the feeling that we have more and more anglo-saxon management concept.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may surprise people, but nobody in the enterprise space wants to run desktop OSes. Desktop OSes are expensive to deploy and maintain. They bind companies into upgrade cycles dictated by both software and hardware vendors. The upgrade cycles bare no relevance a companies own, or their sectors, business cycles and often clash with them.

For an enterprise, a desktop OS is a means to an end. It's purpose is to present business applications which serve one or more business functions. Once you abstract these application and their function from the desktop, there is no need to deploy and manage a desktop. This is, of course, much easier said than done, especially if the company in question has been around for decades and has a bunch of 'legacy' applications serving business functions.

For enterprises, the trend is clear, as more applications are abstracted from the desktop, only the legacy applications will remain on the desktop, the desktop itself becomes a legacy item that will eventually disappear in all but niche use cases.

The move away from desktop OSes also facilitates the adoption of a Zero Trust Model which is a far more holistic approach to security than simply focusing on the security of your endpoints (desktops, laptops, etc.)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am French and I am curious, what is "French management concept" ?
Bonjours,
English speakers may know it as "ménage à trois", je croix!

Tks

Major Contributor
Windows, but it's going to be a secondary OS soon enough. Now that games are slowly working more and more on Linux thanks to Valve's recent contributions to such ordeal, there's basically nothing much holding me back. Just got to find a decent distro.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The distros of choice for end users seem to be Ubuntu and Mint. As you probably know, SteamOS, Ubuntu and Mint all stem from Debian, so they are similar. For compatibility with laptops, power management, etc. Ubuntu is among best distros, having big up-to-date repos and driver support. For high performance graphics on Linux, NVidia is the way to go as they make binary drivers that work seamlessly and are in the standard repos. Then you have the choice of what desktop to use: Gnome, KDE, Unity, XFCE or others. I prefer XFCE as it is light on CPU and RAM, leaving more for my programs. The XUbuntu distro has it built-in (Ubuntu + XFCE).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey guys and gals, what is your preferred operating system at home?

Comments and stories how you have ended up in your current operating system are warmly welcomed. :)

Since DRDOS and OS/2 were unfairly eliminated, and I need to run some Windows only software - RAW converters, games etc - Windows 10. Older Windows was upgraded in favor of proper support of USB Audio, proper Windows Updates etc. Spy telemetry is fully disabled and blocked via firewall.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For enterprises, the trend is clear, as more applications are abstracted from the desktop, only the legacy applications will remain on the desktop, the desktop itself becomes a legacy item that will eventually disappear in all but niche use cases.
What are they using then?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thin client/server systems.
I expect the future to be SaaS and Cloud Computing. Why would you be tied to a hardware solution when any browser can be the client? Especially when work from home is the trend. How can you install a Wyse terminal at home, for instance?

MalinYamato

I have Windows 10 installed on two machines but I never boot them up.
Laptop: Fedora (Linux) 34
On a NUC with Celeron: Debian 10

KSTR

Major Contributor
I'm on Linux (Mint Xcfe mostly) 80% and Win10 20% for the last two years or so. Win10 is often reduced to a remote SSH terminal/graphics server (X11) for various Linux headless machines (RPi's and NUC's), besides running the few remaining progs requiring native Windows. The Windows Subsystem for Linux of Windows10 is also in heavy use, to run Linux applications natively on my main desktop (as the Win10 machine is my fastest one).

Top Bottom