• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

JWAmerica

I upgraded to Windows 10 under duress as Microsoft refused to update various Win7 components. Windows 11 is a bridge too far. I'm going back to Linux now that it's ready for prime time.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I use Windows as my main system, mostly because I'm gaming and because of foobar2000. fb2k is impossible to replace for me for music listening. I upgraded to Windows 10 LTSC very late, I think 2019 or 2020. I have since moved to the normal enterprise version. What's happening with Windows 11 worries me quite a bit (normal users now need a Microsoft account), so I might eventually move to Linux, but let's wait and see, I have a couple of years left to decide. I didn't like Windows 10 at first either.

I have Archlinux on my laptop and I run a FreeBSD server.

Honken

You use that at home?
I'm not sure about Azure, but gaming on EC2 instances is something that people do. It didn't really make sense to me when I first heard of it, but with the current GPU prices? Sure.

Voted Linux.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm not sure about Azure, but gaming on EC2 instances is something that people do. It didn't really make sense to me when I first heard of it, but with the current GPU prices? Sure.
Didn't know, I've heard of Google Stadia, but not people gaming remotely on VPSes; latency must be quite tough for FPS games.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Laptop in garage i7 Win 10 runs or contains control software for Solidworks CAD, structured wire sys. (home automation; intercom, lighting and security, weather station), Tesla solar panels/Powerwall whole-house backup, Roon, Ubiquiti LAN and meshed wifi network and system backup NAS with raid. 1 Surface Pro laptop w/ Win 10 > 11. I-Mac w ipads (wife's). 3 android tablets for Roon or Bluesound music playback in three locations. I probably need to consolidate as I put most of in in years ago. Any amalgamating system/technology suggestions are welcome.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS) running on top of Windows (as a VM)? And Windows running on top of iOS (as a bootcamp)?

How does that count? :)
Counts as incest at worst or nepotism at best (middle doors are harems, some religious orders and some French management concept)...

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Counts as incest at worst or nepotism at best (middle doors are harems, some religious orders and some French management concept)...

And I guess, when you see/hear this animal you want to sprinkle some holy water on It? :)
05AC63F6-3C67-42CE-B8B6-640842490543.png

TimF

Forum Donor
Microsoft Windows: it is like being married to a woman who is sleeping with everyone else in the neighborhood, and who tells all.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is like being married to a woman who is sleeping with everyone else in the neighborhood, and who tells all.
That makes me wonder how many [ummm....] innies are members. They do have better/wider frequency response but I dunno why their SINAD is different, or maybe it is a true IM issue between [ummm...] innies and outies!

MRC01

Major Contributor
Linux is more secure because it is a better design in pretty much every respect. Open source has less to do with it.
I think this is debatable though. Other OSes are closed source so we will never know what's in there. System design/architect or Kernel dev are not my specialty so I have no comment on this matter.
Open source promotes security for several reasons, not the least of which is because it means the code can be has been read and audited by more eyeballs than any proprietary closed source OS could ever be. Claude Shannon coined one of the first rules of security: "assume the adversary knows the system". "Security through obscurity" violates this rule and doesn't work in the long term. Linux is rare on desktop, but something like 75% of all internet servers run Linux and its variants.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Nice! Where did you steal that word from... the toilet?

I'm not going to lie. Wanted to use 'scat', but couldn't remember whether it was spelled with a 'k' or a 'c'. I did a Google search (probaly gonna get some funky advertisement for a while now) and it gave me a more sophisticated wording.

Funny side note: In danish 'skat' means 'treasure' or 'sweetheart'. My fiancée often yells "SKAT!" when she wants my attention (as in "sweetheart/darling!") and if she's on a group call with English speaking colleagues, it's sure to cause a big laugh.

Top Bottom