• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters
F

freemansteve

Win 8.1, Win 10, Android 7.1, Android 11, Linux Mint 20.3, iOStablet 14 x2 - in that order, of time spent doing something or other....

But also Linux in Evo 75, WebOS in TV and in a RAID box

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Windows 7 64 bit...
Because it is the last windows version where you can actually shut down all the "phone home" activity with Microsoft.
So long as you were aware they sneaked the telemetry into an update set marked as being security-only, and knew which bits you had to disable...

D

Deleted member 46664

So long as you were aware they sneaked the telemetry into an update set marked as being security-only, and knew which bits you had to disable...

I installed Win7 when it first came out. First thing I did was to shut down Automatic Updates, Error Reporting, Recovery and Swap Files. I never install Anti-virus software. In the 12 years I've been using it I've had exactly zero problems with it, across 4 of my own computers and only occasional screwups when someone made a mistake across about 3 dozen HTPCs I've built for my clients.

Last edited by a moderator:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My music server and streamer is Ubuntu 20.04. It's basically just a file server running Logitech Media Server. But the client is one of the Squeezebox platforms like the Touch or Boom or SB3 (or could be Raspberry based), which then sends stuff to the DAC via coax or toslink. I could run the server/streamer on Win10 or 11 too.

My portable devices (Android 12 smartphone or tablet) or workhorse computers) are not part of the music delivery chain - they are just UI.

Last edited:

Shadrach1

Puppy Linux Bionic.
Ubuntu Mate
Ubuntu Studio
Ubuntu 11.04
Bohdi Linux

I think that's it apart from the petulant whinging brat in my pocket some call a mobile phone. It says Andriod 10 on the tin.

MalinYamato

Linux Fedora -- other OSes are spaghetti coveted by windows.

I hope it's not already been observed (I'm not reading through the posts to check), but it's interesting that Linux overtakes Mac OS, and both combined approach Windows (without even adding IOS). Having been forced to 'upgrade' to a Windows machine at work (Lenovo Thinkpad E14), I can see why there is a preference for alternatives. IMHO, Windows is just layers and layers of duct tape. At least the Linux and Mac developers have tried to produce viable OSes from scratch. When I burrow down in Windows I eventually see 'just good enough' code that hasn't changed in decades. I'm not trying to burn the Windows lovers here, but if I didn't have to use it (because of my employer's mandate and a few important Apps that don't run natively on Mac) I would hurl it into oblivion. Yikes.

I would also miss some truly impressive Mac-only Apps. For productivity, Devonthink, Mellel, and Bookends, plus the Pages/Keynote/Numbers suite. For fun, the Rogue Amoeba apps (Audio Hijack and Sound Connect). This is not to say that Mac is a cakewalk or that many things haven't gone somewhat downhill since Jobs passed (keyboardgate, bendgate, etc.).

To each their own and YMMV etc.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the huge Linux advantage is you can use something you would trash as a working machine, and make it totally work as a music server. I use Logitech Media Server, but there is a lot of other stuff there. I can run the latest version of Ubuntu on a 13 year old Lenovo laptop acting as a server, with great performance. And these days with Ubuntu you really don't have to be Linux certified, it's easy to use.

I don't want to run my music server on my work platform, because that stuff changes every 2 years or so, and I want separate platforms for continuity etc...

My setup is based on a Linux virtual machine I can spin out anywhere within a minute, but that's getting too geeky. Just think of it as a Linux server, but I can go run it anywhere.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Various Linux flavors. Ubuntu Studio on my production laptop. Plain ubuntu on my email/surfing laptop. Manjaro on my Pinebook. Ubuntu Studio on my desktop when I resurrect it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think MacOS with apple silicon has been a game changer. And it will only get better in the future.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Born to Linux, forced to KDE.

Adapted from "Born to sh*t, forced to wipe"
:D

Geert

Major Contributor
  • Ubuntu Desktop on PC, with VirtualBox to run a Windows VM for a few Windows applications
  • Ubuntu Desktop on portable
  • Ubuntu Server on music player (NUC)
  • Windows on a portable, also for a few Windows only application I need on remote locations. I'll be happy when I can get rid of this, now that Microsoft is forcing everyone into their ecosystem (Microsoft account, O365, Windows Store for applications)

alekksander

6y or so on kde neon – less popular ubuntu based distro. a little bit tired of the release cycle though…

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6y or so on kde neon – less popular ubuntu based distro. a little bit tired of the release cycle though…
Come to Debian Testing.
ohyeah.gif

It's not really rolling, but it kind of is. Glory awaits.

Last edited:

Haze

Those of you on linux what music players are you using for bit-perfect audio? I'm having real trouble finding something to replace Foobar or Musicbee.

DeepFried

28% Linux users? astounding. Desktop Linux prevalence is supposed to be about 2% or similar so very over represented here. Or perhaps Linux users are just more likely to respond to the poll :D

I have Manjaro on my main computer, Debian on my laptop and Raspberry PI's.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those of you on linux what music players are you using for bit-perfect audio? I'm having real trouble finding something to replace Foobar or Musicbee.
I use Moode on a RPi on my large system. Everything get's sampled down or up to 24 bit/96kHz there, using the best available precision, then into the MiniDSP Flex. Soon i'll install Dirac (which i just bought a few minutes ago, finally) and then i'll resample down to 24bit/48kHz.

On my notebook i just use VLC for video and audio files and whatever comes out of my Firefox from Youtube or Jellyfin. A Beyerdynamic DT-990 32 ohms or Sennheiser HD-650 is connected to my Thinkpad t480s headphone out and that is it. If i need the sound to come out of the large system, i use pulseaudio-dlna to push it into the Moode/RPi combination.

I would say bit-perfect is nothing i assign any priority to.
catte.gif

Feels good, man.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
28% Linux users? astounding. Desktop Linux prevalence is supposed to be about 2% or similar so very over represented here. Or perhaps Linux users are just more likely to respond to the poll :D
28% seems a bit unlikely indeed. :cool:

Top Bottom