• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

F1308

Major Contributor
My Windows 10 laptop is rarely used.

Android 10, 5g Brave browser with 125 tabs permanently open using groups (weather, local news, world news, markets...magazines...) and any smartphone ticking over 250000 points in Antutu makes life so easy that when using the laptop again it makes me feel one hundred years old.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't found that Windows update affected my local account. I might be missing something.
What do you do to accomplish 1?
The "Pro" (^$$) versions of WindowsOS always provide more user/admin control, over the "Home" editions.
But the "telemetry" that was referenced by @phoenixdogfan is NOT just limited to Windows update checks.
There are also a variety of FREEware/PAYware utilities which supposed to block certain call-home features (telemetry) of WindowsOS.
<search for "Windows 1X Privacy fix">
All bets are off if you do not use a local-account sign-in, or use cloud-storage, and/or any google services, etc.:(

mdunjic

Have dedicated Roon Win11 core (i.e. dedicated Lenovo laptop with 1TB SD card, where my whole digital library is stored), but on client side I use iOS (iPhone, iPad), Android (Pixel 5) and Mac Book Pro. So basically I use all of them lol

mdunjic

You are truly OSagnostic!:cool:
LoL … I am also power-amp-type-agnostic as I use traditional feed-forward class A+AB Quad 909 and class D Hypex nCore based Audiophonics mono blocks … interchangeably… just for fun of comparison lol

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently purchased Lenovo Mini Desktop that’s a refurb solely to run Linux on. Intent is to start using it as a daily driver to eventually transition to it from Mac OS. Any good distro recommendation besides Ubuntu or Mxlinux?

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I recently purchased Lenovo Mini Desktop that’s a refurb solely to run Linux on. Intent is to start using it as a daily driver to eventually transition to it from Mac OS. Any good distro recommendation besides Ubuntu or Mxlinux?
I use Linux Mint Cinnamon as my daily driver.

Over the years I have distro hopped a lot, and have tried probably close to 50 different distributions, but I always find myself coming back to Linux Mint. Linux Mint has numerous custom features built in that I find very valuable for my workflow. In addition, being based on Ubuntu, out of the box driver support is pretty good. On many distributions I end up having to manually download and install WiFi drivers. On one computer I had, finding the correct WiFi driver was a little challenging. I ended up finding the driver in Linux Mint and copying that driver to the other systems.

I also have Arch with the KDE desktop, Neon and LMDE installed on my computer, but I mostly use those as additional platforms for testing script code I maintain on GitHub.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
have tried probably close to 50 different distributions

hehe. Linux is a hobby....at least nowadays since win11 is stable and secure.
been 12 years on Arch and hopped a year or two btw.
now Win11 exclusively. I even kept my Arch install on another HD, but never booted it up again after switching

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
hehe. Linux is a hobby....at least nowadays since win11 is stable and secure.
now Win11 exclusively. I even kept my Arch install on another HD, but never booted it up again after switching
I use Windows 11 on my main work computer - there are some programs/plugins I rely on for work that don't have Linux equivalents. I have a Windows 11 SSD on my backup computer just in case my main computer crashes at the wrong time, but otherwise I run it on Linux.

I tried using Arch as a daily driver for a while, but I got tired of troubleshooting issues popping up after rolling release updates. It was like playing whack-a-mole. I would solve one issue, and a month or two later another issue would pop up, and so on. Linux Mint has been quite the opposite, it has been very stable.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of those running fedora server with roon server. Depends on what applications you want to run, but I personally use fedora workstation for a desktop, and find it excellent. TBH though unless you care about a particular package version or the underlying system the main desktop Linux distros are much of a muchness.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The goal is to run a desktop for daily use with the best software availability. I am handy with running terminal commands and downloading packages if need be. Definitely will try out Mint Linux and Fedora before going full dive into one of them.

alekksander

at least nowadays since win11 is stable and secure.
i think that sentence is a proof of that we live in parallel universes.
you are doing it wrong! ;)

i don't know Your habits ofc, but personally i tried to move back to windows and that was impossible due to pain, tears and home abuse it caused. not to mention licensing that basically stated my kidney might belong to m$ one day and that is for my own good. it's full of terrifying statements like that and to be honest i can't get how millions of users agree to it.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ubuntu Mate on a Miele fanless for music.
Puppy Linux on Mini PC (fanless) for the day to day stuff.
Lubuntu on my old music server which I not longer use.
Andriod not as smart as I would like mobile phone.

I've had Windows 11 on both machines and it mostly worked at an acceptable standard. It's just way too large for the eMMC chicps in both the above machines.
I've been using various Linux distributions for many years now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mint Cinnamon is good. I use Manjaro with KDE desktop which is an Arch based rolling release.
PCLinuxOS here. I was one of the handful of the original developer team that forked PCLOS off Mandrake back around 2000 and have used it ever since. I just got a big surprise from the poll here. Linux users outnumber Mac users by 1 member WOW

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PCLinuxOS here. I was one of the handful of the original developer team that forked PCLOS off Mandrake back around 2000 and have used it ever since. I just got a big surprise from the poll here. Linux users outnumber Mac users by 1 member WOW
PCLinux was my favorite prior to Manjaro.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whats going on with the percentages in the poll? They total to more than 140?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Whats going on with the percentages in the poll? They total to more than 140?
Multiple votes are possible per voter (tick more than one OS when voting). As I'm posting this there are 444 voters but 654 votes. It's the percentage of voters who voted for that OS, not percentage of total votes.

Top Bottom