• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The golden nugget of the day.

But is it wasted money if it makes you happy?

I have some rather nice over-under double barreled shotguns with engravings on the barrel and stock.

It does nothing to make the firearm more functional or perform better, but it sure makes me happy to look at it and feel it.

Same for audiophile jewelry.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The F730es model had Pre outs as well (allowing for use of subs). Honestly shocked at how much amp it is for what they are going for right now, feels underrated in many ways considering what vintage accuphase, Yamaha, Luxmqn etc go for.

The TA-F730es has "pre-outs", but they are not traditional pre-outs as you would expect.

The 730es (333esR) has essentially no preamplifier as such, the volume pot is all that sits between the input stages and the power stage. As the entire amplifier is very quiet, they used the unusual, but perfectly valid approach of padding down the power amp output to use as a pre-amp out.

1638737150184.png

They are a magnificent amplifier, that performs well over spec. 21.2kg of amp. Rated at 105wpc@8R, it delivers 124wpc@8R, 196W@4R and over 310wpc@2R. I have a few of them in my Sony ES collection.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The TA-F730es has "pre-outs", but they are not traditional pre-outs as you would expect.

The 730es (333esR) has essentially no preamplifier as such, the volume pot is all that sits between the input stages and the power stage. As the entire amplifier is very quiet, they used the unusual, but perfectly valid approach of padding down the power amp output to use as a pre-amp out.

View attachment 170494

They are a magnificent amplifier, that performs well over spec. 21.2kg of amp. Rated at 105wpc@8R, it delivers 124wpc@8R, 196W@4R and over 310wpc@2R. I have a few of them in my Sony ES collection.

I can't find any listed used in the US.

I wonder if it never made it here.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ideal integrated amplifier is ... separates :cool:.

However in practical terms I think I'd be happy for a long time with a McIntosh MAC7200, (so called "receiver" because it has Mac's tuner module).

XL_MAC7200_Front_Top-800x600.jpg

XL_MAC7200_Back-1050x1050.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My ideal integrated amplifier is ... separates :cool:.

However in practical terms I think I'd be happy for a long time with a McIntosh MAC7200, (so called "receiver" because it has Mac's tuner module).

XL_MAC7200_Front_Top-800x600.jpg

XL_MAC7200_Back-1050x1050.jpg

The McIntosh website also lists a MA7200 without tuner, although I've never seen it for sale.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can't find any listed used in the US.

I wonder if it never made it here.

The E model was multivoltage. There was no dedicated 120V US model which likely means Sony didn't bother with the US for that model. They were pushing the TAN-77es/TAE-77es as their halo product in the US at the time. The Americans wanted big-ass power and big meters- So Sony gave it to them.

There was also a TA-F555esR which is a 333esR with double the output stage devices and an even bigger potted transformer and more caps. Weight bumped up to 24.5kg. Sold well in Japan but it never made it to Australia. We were lucky though, the multi-voltage (E) TAF-333esR did. The English got the 730es, which had no rosewood coloured side panels, whereas the 333esR did. You got two sets of screws (short and long) if you wanted to remove the panels.

333esR chassis:
1638739767602.png

Inside a 555esR
1638739178512.png

Last edited:

LaoMan

I am also surprised that none of you mention the ASR Emitter, the German Physiks Emperor and the beautiful D class Japanese Spec amplifiers. Is it a question of unfamiliarity with anything not American?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am also surprised that none of you mention the ASR Emitter, the German Physiks Emperor and the beautiful D class Japanese Spec amplifiers. Is it a question of unfamiliarity with anything not American?

Which Japanese Class D amps are you thinking of?

I know of some by TEAC and Technics.

Both of which have been mentioned elsewhere on the site.

As for things not American, much of the amps in this thread are not American.

Tacrolim

Agree with the OP's reasons for choosing the TEAC. I too was looking at the AP-505 for my desktop. Seems TEAC modified a Hypex NC122mp with OP amps for this. For the price, and in spite of the form factor, the power output falls short, even for some stand mounts. Its not just the rated RMS, the extra reserve under the hood makes a difference with dynamic music. Now if TEAC had used an NC252, it would have been a different story. Alternatives? boXem is a sensible choice (D class power and quality minus the VU). If VU meters and AB amplification is your thing, Avantone CLA 200 is another (build quality and reliability issues). If anyone at the consumer end or access to these can post real life reviews/measurements, it would be great. Most of us are geographically "challenged" and demos/listening sessions aren't an option.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Agree with the OP's reasons for choosing the TEAC. I too was looking at the AP-505 for my desktop. Seems TEAC modified a Hypex NC122mp with OP amps for this. For the price, and in spite of the form factor, the power output falls short, even for some stand mounts. Its not just the rated RMS, the extra reserve under the hood makes a difference with dynamic music. Now if TEAC had used an NC252, it would have been a different story. Alternatives? boXem is a sensible choice (D class power and quality minus the VU). If VU meters and AB amplification is your thing, Avantone CLA 200 is another (build quality and reliability issues). If anyone at the consumer end or access to these can post real life reviews/measurements, it would be great. Most of us are geographically "challenged" and demos/listening sessions aren't an option.

What about this new one?

Tacrolim

What about this new one?

At 3200 Euros / $3500, its more expensve, larger in size and not easy to source the 240V version. No reviews anywhere. So can't comment on how it sounds. At that price point, Jeff Rowland 125 / Brystons are also available.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
At 3200 Euros / $3500, its more expensve, larger in size and not easy to source the 240V version. No reviews anywhere. So can't comment on how it sounds. At that price point, Jeff Rowland 125 / Brystons are also available.

Oh, I thought we were comparing Class D options.

Used Class A/AB bargains had be had if you don't care about smaller size / less heat / less energy.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This little Marantz is pretty nice. Wouldn't measure well today, of course, but it's nicely laid out, looks great, has all the features that an integrated of its period should.

AVvXsEhZ2MiMw8cq7250eZruHuyeuk8zXyuzn2v-wfZ7gjxQt2Aiq6cioGg4dujmdTbbF5rYnN2CcLEIpNdp8LZOkKkLcnREKcsKTJi3WFmXSkWcZt2l2InrU-pBOgR0O5a2eDJQd2Dw2DT91CM1hgpOZwMRBMV-HMYJkkXeYdS8BEJ2O7LIa_gY-M2l7hMELw=s1024

Top Bottom