• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heck yeah. So for me an ideal amp has not only to perform well but look elegant too. The Accuphase esthetic has long appealed to me.

The E-480 is gorgeous but I'd be willing to step to a class A model, in which case one might as well go all the way to the E-800 ...

3274169-d8ebb166-accuphase-e-800-integrated-in-as-new-condition.jpg

For all I love Accuphase' looks, I also admire what might be called the opposite esthetic of the Anthem models such as the STR integrated. (Yes, it has been likened to clock radio by some.

g973STRSL-F.jpg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
or a microwave...

The STR suffers ergonomically as it lacks knobs. such as a big one for inputs and small ones for tone controls.

Anything requiring a graded response or multiple (>3) levels should have a rotary knob. I mean like man, I dig a nice toggle switch ya know? But the twist is where it's at for other things.

Audio Research Corp LS25 Mk II pre-amp-2.jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

outlookrt

Impulse bought a Sony TA F700es amplifier as a way of dipping my toe into full-featured Japanese integrateds. What a beautiful beast, beautifully built with machined metal knobs, tone controls, mm/mc phono, built like a tank. It even has an ‘Adaptor out/in’ so you can insert eq/dsp/DRC between input selection and volume control. No VU meters but I actually like the black 80s aesthetic (reminds me of some Sansui units). Quick initial listening is impressive and makes my Naim Nait 5i sound like a toy. Unfortunately it’s probably not going to suit use in our living room with its lack of remote control or auto standby/off (it runs warm even when idle). The F730es model had Pre outs as well (allowing for use of subs). Honestly shocked at how much amp it is for what they are going for right now, feels underrated in many ways considering what vintage accuphase, Yamaha, Luxmqn etc go for.

About to demo a Lyngdorf 1120. The opposite of the Sony in many ways but may suit a discreet modern digital setup better. Equally appeals to me with its Room Correction and Dsp functions (eq/crossovers etc)

tbh both are close to ideal in different ways. Hoping to keep the Sony for an ‘old school’ setup down the line!

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The things in my speakers. Invisible. It was perfect if the things would be in class d.

mirlo

or a microwave...

The STR suffers ergonomically as it lacks knobs. such as a big one for inputs and small ones for tone controls.

Anything requiring a graded response or multiple (>3) levels should have a rotary knob. I mean like man, I dig a nice toggle switch ya know? But the twist is where it's at for other things.

View attachment 137966

I do not believe that the volume and balance knobs on this ls-25 thing are connected to rotary encoders, but rather each is actually actuating an on-off-on momentary spdt switch. In other words, each has only two active positions , ccw causes volume to count down one step at a time, cw causes volume to count up one step at a time, and it always returns to center when you let go.
Yuck.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The knobs look as nice as the early knobs (e.g. SP-3) but yes, the feel is more yucky - or something. While the toggle switches feel great (even better than an early XKE), maybe I should buy an Accuphase instead.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bryston integrated amplifiers won’t win beauty awards, but they sound stellar. My Bryston B100-ST is so good (especially the phono section) I don’t think I’ll buy another integrated. It sounds as good as the separates in my main system.

62717CC3-ED38-484D-A5BB-0C60666B6F1C.png

Last edited:

LaoMan

My best integrated amplifier is the Audionet Humbolt. Outstanding! This will blow the socks off virtually all monoblocks except the most expensive. I am surprised no one mentioned this.

Last edited:

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My best integrated amplifier is the Audionet Humbolt. Outstanding! This will blow the socks off virtually all monoblocks except the most expensive. I am surprised no one mentioned this.
My Parasound Hint will only blow the lint off my socks, but your Humbolt cost 22 times as much. So…

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

What's so special about it?

It looks like a computer.

Robin L

Master Contributor

jtgofish

Minimalist 35 watt Japanese Bakoon AMP 5521.Not fancy but they sound extremely natural and clear.By far the best sounding amplifier I have used and there have been plenty .
1630841108622.png

Top Bottom