• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

Kling75

Forum Donor
I had a Revox B77 , i regret i sold it....

Attachments

• ReVox-B77-MKI-08.jpg
    ReVox-B77-MKI-08.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 93

Kling75

Forum Donor
Very nice to hear so! I often look at and touch on L-509X at several HiFi audio shops in Tokyo with my hungry eyes.

Your enthusiasums lead me considering another option of replacing TA-A1ES with L-509X; so that I may try (I may have fun of) many combinations of Accuphase E-480, Yamaha A-S3000 and Luxman L-509X, all have nice-looking VUs, in the provisionally completed setup of my multichannel multi-amplifier project...:D

Very nice to hear so! I often look at and touch on L-509X at several HiFi audio shops in Tokyo with my hungry eyes.

Your enthusiasums lead me considering another option of replacing TA-A1ES with L-509X; so that I may try (I may have fun of) many combinations of Accuphase E-480, Yamaha A-S3000 and Luxman L-509X, all have nice-looking VUs, in the provisionally completed setup of my multichannel multi-amplifier project...:D

Hi @@dualazmak

I have to admit that your System overrules my understanding. I am a friend of radical short component systematic. I would like to to visit you to experience the Yamaha NS 1000 ! I Guess that has to wait after Covid...:(

1615220141769.png

Attachments

• Chiba Prefecture.jpg
    Chiba Prefecture.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 1172-5076.jpg
    1172-5076.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 101
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do you own this Recorder ? So cool !
would that!
Nope, that one belongs to Charles "Stellavox" King.
He had brought it to a hifi get-together here in Northern New England some years back. They really are superb decks.

I don't have the disposable cash to play in the Stellavox sandbox -- but I am proud to say that Charles did perform the rehab of my half-track, high-speed ReVox A77.

ReVox WHRB Dead aircheck by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

laudio

After reading this thread... am in the camp the late 80's early 90's produced the best amplifiers (Japanese), the 70's were prettier but not nearly as good sounding, be it integrated or pre power power combos. If I had my druthers I'd settle on a Pioneer A-91D as an integrated of choice, although haven't been able to locate one in great condition to possess. I will someday.

The OP's Teac AX-505 is a sweet little modern integrated, takes hardly any space and is energy efficient. But no phono pre which is a requirement of any integrated amp IMO (that and tone controls).

I am also a Teac fan (modified an AI-501 to essentially act as a Dac/pre) and own a AP-505 which has the same Hyperion modules as the AX-505. Have used the AP-505 with vintage preamps such as Nak CA-5 (highly regarded), Pioneer C-01, or Luxman. Does those combos measure up to running with late 80's power amp like a Pioneer M-91 in comparison? Nope IMO - but sounds pretty good.

Readers of this site will point to measurements, call for blind listening tests to confirm, whatever- you don't know what your missing until you have it on hand at try. At least that's my take.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello laudio,

Just for your interests and reference, I recently rather intesively tested/evaluated Teac AX-505 and AP-505 in my multichannel multi-amplifier project in post #290 Part-1 and post #291 Part-2.

As shared in my post #292 there, I was almost deciding to use two of AP-505 to directly dedicatedly drive my woofers at that time. After intensively evaluating Yamaha A-S3000 in January, however, I decided to use A-S3000 instead of AP-505 in my multichannel multi-amplifier sysytem.

I still believe Teac AP-505 is really nice Class-D amp especially for Lo and Mid range where the possible very faint high-range Class-D specific(?) hiss noise can be cut off by digital crossover or cannot be heard by woofer or midrange squawker....

You wrote;
Readers of this site will point to measurements, call for blind listening tests to confirm, whatever- you don't know what your missing until you have it on hand at try. At least that's my take.
I essentially agree with you, as I wrote and shared about "musicality" at here...

Last edited:

laudio

Hello laudio,

Just for your interests and reference, I recently rather intesively tested/evaluated Teac AX-505 and AP-505 in my multichannel multi-amplifier project in post #290 Part-1 and post #291 Part-2.

As shared in my post #292 there, I was almost deciding to use two of AP-505 to directly dedicatedly drive my woofers at that time. After intensively evaluating Yamaha A-S3000 in January, however, I decided to use A-S3000 instead of AP-505 in my multichannel multi-amplifier sysytem.

I still believe Teac AP-505 is really nice Class-D amp especially for Lo and Mid range where the possible very faint high-range Class-D specific(?) hiss noise can be cut off by digital crossover or cannot be heard by woofer or midrange squawker....

Yep I read your posts... I don't get hiss in my setups with the AP-505, but I don't get the same grunt as a vintage late 80's behemoth either. I agree it's a nice class D amp for the price (at least what I found it for I wouldn't pay retail for it). Cheers.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
[url=https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/10/a1cv.jpg] [/URL]

I owned a Marantz 2265B during more than 10 years. It worked perfectly even at maximum sound level.
I was young and one day I bought a new Marantz AVR because of the wake up clock functionality!
My 2265B stayed in the storage until one day I sold it the price I bought it new.
For sure the buyer asked me to power it and listen to the sound.
It was a chock, I was close to crying: the sound was so good.
I had many AVRs since then and none of them was as good as the Marantz 2265B.

Attachments

• marantz-2265b-front.jpg
    marantz-2265b-front.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 93

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... I don't get hiss in my setups with the AP-505,
... I agree it's a nice class D amp for the price....

Yes you are quite right. I could hear very very faint high range hiss noise of AP-505 only when I directly contacted my ear to the Be-tweeter and super-tweeter, both are really highly efficient drivers. I could not hear it at 40 cm away from the drivers. This almost inaudible negligible hiss noise would cause absolutely no issue in ordinary listening conditions.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Offler

I started with a desktop PC I build up from components, and its primary use was gaming, web browsing and photo editing, so I did not purchased anything special related to sound. I was OK with integrated onboard soundcard based on Realtek ALC122), with Bose Computer Monitors (Gen1).

For photo editing I got an LG IPS monitor and calibration sensor and since I do watch DVDs, Blurays from my collection I noticed a difference, and I realized that I am not doing any justice to the sound - especially since lossless audio on blurays became a thing.

I was looking for small bookshelf speakers and I found review of Elac DBR-62 here and really really nice deal for about 430 dollars near me. When they arrived I realized I am stuck with slightly bigger speakers I expected, and that I have to find a suitable amplifier.

My expectations were:
- small, has to fit on table.
- with a volume control knob (no volume buttons)
- low power consumption
- Analog input, optical SPDIF, other inputs are optional.
- Has to be able to drive DBR-62 (6 ohms)
- Budget up to 600 euro.
- SNR (mostly) for CD quality sound, DVDs and Bluray.
- No smart functions, just DAC, pre-amp, amp.

I was looking at Denon Heos amp and PMA series, Yamaha WXA-50, but I decided for NAD d3020 v2.
P6060125 (3).jpg

RoA

I am currently 'active' but had I to look for an integrated then something like a mid range Musical Fidelity (M6si), Hegel H190/390, a Supernait, Exposure 3010S2 or Kinki EX M1+ would likely feature though I would have to listen to the last one first. Looks good value.

I heard or used the others.

Valhalla

Hypex Nc1200 sounds like real music to me. I can't think of anything else for the price.

facefirst

Hmm...my ideal...I guess would be a fully integrated one-box with the following:

Double-height form with a visual 'split' between the 'pre' and 'power' sections of the amp. It would look like this but with less / no buttons, and possibly the volume on top ala Naim Uniti:

1624887269423.png

Starting with the power amplifier section, internally it would be a pair of Purifi cores arranged in 'dual mono' with a separate power supply. No bi-wire option because it's pointless. As there would be loads of space, you could include NAD-like expansion slots so that features can be added later.

Sitting in the box above would be the following:
- A DAC with Topping D90s performance
- A network streaming platform with all the usual suspects
- A copy of the Gold Note PH-10 phono stage, with its 'on the fly' loading adjustments and adjustable equalization curves
- A decent number of balanced and unbalanced, plus digital inputs and HDMI Arc

RoA

Hmm...my ideal...I guess would be a fully integrated one-box with the following:

Double-height form with a visual 'split' between the 'pre' and 'power' sections of the amp. It would look like this but with less / no buttons, and possibly the volume on top ala Naim Uniti:

View attachment 137901

Starting with the power amplifier section, internally it would be a pair of Purifi cores arranged in 'dual mono' with a separate power supply. No bi-wire option because it's pointless. As there would be loads of space, you could include NAD-like expansion slots so that features can be added later.

Sitting in the box above would be the following:
- A DAC with Topping D90s performance
- A network streaming platform with all the usual suspects
- A copy of the Gold Note PH-10 phono stage, with its 'on the fly' loading adjustments and adjustable equalization curves
- A decent number of balanced and unbalanced, plus digital inputs and HDMI Arc

https://www.comet.co.uk/product/Coo...J3btd9i_QnWhJ_34LX7Gd5E63-pw_oFAaAip-EALw_wcB

Top Bottom