• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised that no one suggested any of the NAD Masters Series...

NAD-M33-Front-on-Black-for-Web-2000x1500-1.jpg

cdkpdx

Take your list, add Dirac Live Bass Control (or a similar room correction system with multisub calibration and integration), make it 2 powered channels with 4 balanced outputs, get rid of the pointless binding posts (make people use good connectors!), swap normal AirPlay2 for that weird Roon thing, and clarify the "software" interface for the crossover/PEQ is a web-based thing or a MacOS/iOS app based program, and let SINAD land where it does to make the rest of it work...oh, and make it as small as possible. That's pretty much my ideal too.

IMO, the little Lyngdorf one is the closest to my ideal right now.
I like this as well, just wish the Lyngdorf 1120 had a bit more power and better damping factor.

Momotaro

Take your list, add Dirac Live Bass Control (or a similar room correction system with multisub calibration and integration), make it 2 powered channels with 4 balanced outputs, get rid of the pointless binding posts (make people use good connectors!), swap normal AirPlay2 for that weird Roon thing, and clarify the "software" interface for the crossover/PEQ is a web-based thing or a MacOS/iOS app based program, and let SINAD land where it does to make the rest of it work...oh, and make it as small as possible. That's pretty much my ideal too.

IMO, the little Lyngdorf one is the closest to my ideal right now.
Nothing wrong with binding posts:
krell-fbi.jpg

As long as you have spade lugs. But I do like your list. Credit to @phoenixdogfan also.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing wrong with binding posts:
View attachment 170907

The pictured ones are as terrible as any other binding posts. They do nothing to prevent you from screwing up polarity or shorting the ends of the speaker wire, and they’re fiddly as all hell. Expensive, too.

Speakon makes a correct, reliable, and safe connection every single time, without fuss. Also, the jacks and connectors are cheap!

rcarlbe

The Bryston BR-20 with HDMI comes very close. I prefer integrated DAC+pre instead of pre+power.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bryston BR-20 with HDMI comes very close. I prefer integrated DAC+pre instead of pre+power.
I’ve owned a Bryston BP25DA preamp with integrated DAC for many years. It’s likely to be the last component I’d replace because it’s so good. Even the DAC is competitive sonically with DACs more than a decade more recent.

I went the other way.
I had Goldmund Phono stage, DAC, Preamp and two 600 watt monoblocs and now use an all in one unit (for almost 10 years now).
It is lighter and takes up less space and is equally audibly transparent and has a lower background noise level.
My view is that good electronics are transparent if they are powerful enough and both mine were, so no loss going to one box.
I have lots of other amps too :) so I can ring the changes if I want, but rarely do.

I like separates in general. And there's so much to choose from, but indeed none has all what can be desired.
I am leaning now a bit more to what Frank mentioned, to an all-in-one solution. Good quality, of course, but does not have to be on par with superlatives. Selection gets even more narrow in that regard.
Why not adding phono, streamer, CD, DAC, Roon, MQA, BT, .... and tube buffer also?!

I came across this Advance Paris MyConnect 150.
Anybody knows or has heard of how it performs? I don't find much about it...
Advance-Paris-MyConnect-150-front.jpg

Advance-Paris-MyConnect-150-back.jpg

Audiolab Omnia (all-in-one)
NO-4.png

NO-3.png

Quad Altera Solus (Play)
Bit on the expensive side...
Artera-Solus-Play-top.png

Artera-Solus-Black-back-view.png

Who remembers NOVATRON? => CocktailAudion X35
20170829152931_2017-08-29_CocktailAudio_X35_zilver_front_rechts_gedraaid_(1000x407).jpg

2002789390.jpeg

Another beauty: Musical Fidelity M6 Encore 225

Promotion-m6-encore-225.png

201805_M6_back.jpg

pogo

Major Contributor
People got cranky about the M33 measurements at ASR and the lack of Roon-ready status
The people who must have been upset about measurements here, did they also hear the M33?
Roon works and has not been an issue for a long time.
I'm more upset about measurements that were not made, e.g. regarding DF.

Laughing Rabbit

Forum Donor
I doubt even a $10K amplifier can be more than 10% better than a $1000 one (objectively). However, emotional connection to a piece of equipment can be worth that much.

What about an Esoteric F-05?

The problem with the silver color is that different shades do not always look good together.
I suppose that really depends on how one accurately measures 10% 'objectively', huh?

daniboun

Major Contributor
For me the Poppulse Satisfaction A2 has not found an equal if we take into account the value for money
This is my favorite integrated full balanced amplifier. The preamp is really good too BTW )
The amp is using a dual Mono Tripath circuit (one TA3020 per channel) with a neat implementation and a quad motorized volume pot + remote
I just updated the OP amps > OPA2210 to gain details and optimize the soundstage. (2X OPA2210 preamp + 2X OPA2210 amp section)
The amp is about 2x130W / 8R (I prefer it to my Purifi to tell you ! =) This a a dead silence amplifier as well.
It comes in a solid alu case with great audio grade components, it is about 8.5KG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom