• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Is Your Hearing Frequency Range?

wacomme

I have some Adam T5V monitors that measure reasonably well down to 40Hz. I thought I might need a subwoofer, but subs that go below 40Hz are somewhat pricey ($400+). Then I thought, can I even hear that low? So I used REW on the Tones Generator screen and sent different frequencies to my ears. Well, I can hear down to about 35Hz (perhaps lower, but it might be my monitors and not my ears), and up to 13,000KHz - nothing higher. I didn't try this test using headphones; I'll have to try that method next, just desktop monitors in an open room with about a max 75dB setting.

So, my range is about 35 - 13,000 Hz. I'm age 60.

What is your range?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably peter out around 11k now. I'm 67. I've never really "heard" the lowest bass as much as felt it, if that makes sense. I know I can kind of hear 35Hz, maybe 30Hz, from a friend playing dub-step, and watching his spectral display software. Depending on the music, there may not be much below 40Hz. Dub-step, and electronic music in general is kind of an exception.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
59 years old, lower limit 16Hz, higher limit 12kHz

Katji

Major Contributor
I probably peter out around 11k now. I'm 67. I've never really "heard" the lowest bass as much as felt it, if that makes sense. I know I can kind of hear 35Hz, maybe 30Hz, from a friend playing dub-step, and watching his spectral display software. Depending on the music, there may not be much below 40Hz. Dub-step, and electronic music in general is kind of an exception.
Same here. Although not dubstep anymore, mostly bass emphasised/"bassified" Future Beats [neo-soul/R&B/hip-hop/dub/batida]. Speakers doing ok to 38-40 Hz nut subwoofer sort of solidifies it.

diablo

Forum Donor
monitors that measure reasonably well down to 40Hz. I thought I might need a subwoofer, but subs that go below 40Hz are somewhat pricey ($400+). Then I thought, can I even hear that low? So I used REW on the Tones Generator screen and sent different frequencies to my ears. Well, I can hear down to about 35Hz (perhaps lower, but it might be my monitors and not my ears), and up to 13,000KHz - nothing higher. I didn't try this test using headphones; I'll have to try that method next, just desktop monitors in an open room with about a max 75dB setting.

So, my range is about 35 - 13,000 Hz. I'm age 60.

What is your range?
I'm 70 and a few years ago I could hear upto 14kHz. Though now it is down to 9kHz. :( Music and stuff doesn't seem to sound much different though.

I can still hear bass much the same as I ever could. Down to about 12Hz - I just re-tested that with REW using a subwoofer. I reckon that you could hear below 20Hz if your speakers would play that low.

Would it be worth you getting a sub? Well I wouldn't be without mine, they seem to add a whole lot extra for some content. But depends on the music you play. If you come into some money unexpectedly then consider it - won't be a waste I assure you. :)

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ignoring playback volume, 15Hz to 19KHz are the absolute limits of what I can detect. Practically speaking, I would say 18Hz to 17KHz.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is precious little in most music above 10kHz, even 8kHz. Cymbals give a little "air" up there. Few headphones go much above 10kHz, practically speaking.

Natal

Normal hearing for lows but steep roll off at 2k. Using my hearing aids for correction sounds unnatural. Still enjoying music without assisted aid. I'm 81 years old.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
High frequency hearing tests have lots of uncontrolled variables:
a] frequency response of loudspeaker or headphones.
b] volume!
if you turn the way up, you might be hearing background noise, distortion or cone breakup.

Top Bottom