• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Somebody sounds like a grumpy old man who yells at children to get off of his lawn.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
How do you know that I'm not a better sociopath who can play the fiddle even better? You don't do you? I would also suggest that you have zero idea what and how I measure a success rate.
If you are a better sociopath, then you already know the answer. One might naturally query how a sociopath measures a success rate.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
In 41 years of practicing law as both a prosecutor and defense attorney, I could never tell the difference.
It's easy, one terminology appears in the DSM the other does not. I now know where your rigid attitude comes from, and absolutely to an extent it is founded, but your grim prediction of the efficacy for treatment and rehabilitation is being applied without enough nuance, IMO. I am likely to transition my career down the road to being a parole officer and I can assure you, I have no intention of being played like a fiddle. One can believe in change while also being realistic. I believe in the general utility (but not an absolute) of actuarial risk assessment tools. I have actually studied at the university where the Risk Need and Responsivity model was developed and studied/learned from some heavy hitters where risk assessment and treatment efficacy/best practices are concerned so I can speak with a degree of confidence on the subject. I accept your premise, but I reject the totality of your conclusion.

Hon

I was a mainframe COBOL programmer for a while and then transitioned to UNIX and C programming and then became a DBA (Sybase, Model 204, Terradata, Oracle, DUX). I also sometimes taught English courses as an adjunct and lecturer at the local community college. I retired to care for my aging parent.

I've always enjoyed sailing small dinghies with planing hulls in high winds. Had a beautiful German-made Olympic Finn for a while; it was molded plywood with a striking herringbone pattern sweeping back along the sides. I've also played fretted acoustic instruments for personal enjoyment--guitar, 5-string banjo, mandolin, harmonica--since forever.

So, if you come upon a nice dot matrix printer on the block, let me know!

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Chemical Engineer in the oil industry. Main responsibility is technical innovation and improvements and troubleshooting to maximize production . What I am most proud of is my technical solution that increased the company production by 5%. That is 1800 000 000 USD per year. What did I get? 0.2% more salary increase than the rest and a new title.

Svperstar

Be careful. Lot of impaired drivers on road after dark.

I bike on trails in the woods. I HATE road biking because of drivers as you mention. When I lived in Alaska I would rather take my chances with moose and bears in the woods then with people.

jmz

After 2 decades in IT I returned to my first profession, I'm horologist again. Photography... is more than a hobby for me.

Reactions: EJ3

QuantumNet

Particle physicist by training, but work as a data scientist. Hobbies include music, coffee, video games, building hobbyist electronic sets, neural networks, food, traveling... anything that can provide exciting new experiences or can use objective science and/or methods to elevate a medium. It seems like there’s quite a few math/science/engineering related folks here which is quite cool!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Particle physicist by training, but work as a data scientist. Hobbies include music, coffee, video games, building hobbyist electronic sets, neural networks, food, traveling... anything that can provide exciting new experiences or can use objective science and/or methods to elevate a medium. It seems like there’s quite a few math/science/engineering related folks here which is quite cool!

I'm trying to get into Data analysis right now, a little career shift for me. Welcome to ASR.

AudioSQ

Real Estate Accountant

I watch Basketball, Formula 1, and I pretend to be into road cycling. My kids take up a fair amount of my time. I like long walks on the beach and hope for world peace.

fluufy

Interior Designer.

In my “spare” time I am also involved in policy development, with an interest in economics (especially heterodox). I ride maxi-scooters, and of course there is the ongoing search for the point of diminishing returns with audio!

simbloke

Forum Donor
Computer programmer in a university. I started in the Biology department supposed to coding the algorithms of genetic simulations - the spread of GMOs in the wild etc. I soon became involved in managing their Unix workstations and network. As the web emerged I learnt about databases, web servers and all the things that made them work. Pretty soon I was the department's IT person and responsible for all kinds of machines and the network.

I now work in the IT department of the same university mostly figuring out how to join systems together sensibly, move data around, get software deployed properly with breaking it. Basically anything to do with the infrastructure behind what you see.

At college I studied electronics as I'd been interested in that from an early age. I used to wonder what was in the frequencies between the bands on my granny's radiogram. Taking apart her old Bush valve radio didn't actually yield the answers. My interest in computers started from ads for the UK101 and Superbrain in the back of magazines like Practical Wireless and Electronics Today International. My first computer was a ZX81 and despite that I kept being interested in them! After college I went to university and studied more electronics always with the emphasis and the computing side.

So even though all my training was in electronics I never found a job in that field and it remains a hobby. It's actually something that has become even more interesting in recent years due to the abundance of components and modules coming out of China. During lockdown I finally built myself a shed so I can get back to making some things. I might even finish that DAC I started years ago.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real Estate Accountant

I watch Basketball, Formula 1, and I pretend to be into road cycling. My kids take up a fair amount of my time. I like long walks on the beach and hope for world peace.

That will happen when the first space invaders will appear !

sq225917

Major Contributor
Sales and digital marketing for a UK powertools manufacturer, and I have 3d visualisation and enzymatic record cleaner side hustles.

Hobbies, audio, climbing, cycling, kitesurfing and very occasionally paragliding.

Top Bottom