• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

pluplog

Software engineer (with a love for many languages - I spent the last 12 years having written production code in Python, Ruby, Haskell, Clojure, Go and Javascript), though of late my role has moved towards more managerial/people duties vs being purely hands on.

I cook and bake a lot in my free time, and immerse in math (papers, puzzles). And of course, listening to music while I'm at it!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Been in retail my entire working life from 18 till now at 53. The past 2 decades I've been working for my younger brother - he owns a biz dealing in wheelchair and mobility equipment.

As far as hobbies aside from the audio thing I play guitar, on and off comic book geek, also into old school tabletop rpgs, long-time computer/video game fan since the mid 70s, also a fan of "weird" pulp fiction (Lovecraft, etc)

mlee

Electrical Engineer, involved with the design and manufacture of field data loggers (ADCs readings while saving data locally).

Audio has been a fun hobby and great platform to design my own custom boards for the non-standard audio application. Like the sports squash and badminton but tough to get our on court safely these days so probably back to audio :).

This is a very diverse crowd!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@House de Kris When I heard the result of finishing off the snakes plaguing you, then literally rats infesting the place as substitutes, spilled a bit of my drink.
Was that an ADULT LIBATION? If so: you are guilty of alcohol abuse. The sentence: more practice.

Reactions: Tks

anon2k2

Forum Donor
My career is in finance. I've worked for private equity and public finance for government agencies. I do some management/finance consulting on the side.

Other than audio my hobbies are music in general, I play the piano, love going to concerts of all types. I run marathons, I have photography as another stupidly expensive hobby where everyone argues about gear. I like great Scotch and Bourbon, great restaurants and wine. Oh, and the wife and I like to travel quite a bit.

I discovered ASR in the spring and it's been a lot of fun.

HoJ76

My profession is piano tuner and piano repairman. Love the job, versatile and interesting. Works with both piano and grand pianos, at people's homes, schools, churches and concert halls.

Hobby:
Music, photography, football and floorball.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Basically, I am a social scientist, working on evaluating public policies.
I like hiking, especially in the mountains. And I train a lot. Both running and cycling. I do a lot of photography. I read quite a lot, like to watch movies and of course listen to a lot of music.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Daily job - NASA Rocket Scientist

Hobbies - Songwriter, Musician (keyboards, drums, guitar, bass guitar), Musclecars, Travelling, Spending time with the grandson (newest hobby)
Which rockets, and which muscle cars? If the cars are Oldsmobiles they might be rockets too.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Electrical Engineer (electronics) for a living, I started music practice when I was kid (piano, singing).
Luckily I also worked for the movie industrie in LA.
Also I need good music and movies to enjoy my free time.

Alas for now Covid killed the live events.

terasankka

I have been in technical pre-sales in datacenter area for 25 years (IBM, Sun Microsystems, EMC, SimpliVity, Rubrik)... I have also done martial arts since a teenager and I am a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. Love photography and camera gear (Leica) :) ... oh.. and guitars and guitar tube amps.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to spend time trying to figure out if low-end endotherms could effectively substitute behavior for physiology and predicting selection gradients thereof.

Then I decided the real issue was to save the not to study them (Thx, Ed Abbey) so spent time on population extinction phenomena.

Mindcool

Forum Donor
Daily job: Civil contingencies, defence and security at local government.
Hobbies: My SO, HiFi, computers, 3D printing, food, military history and sci-fi.

Addicted to music

Great thread!

i class myself as a glorified cleaner.

I did COT (Csrtificate of Electronics) in it’s hey day and later became Diploma of Electronics.....1st year was full time study, 2nd year Part time, I got a job as a reprographics technician working on photo copiers... Never finished the course,Only had a digital practicle to go because I met this beautiful girl who then all of a sudden had An unplanned bun in the oven, so working from 8:30am to 11-12:00pm at night was the only way to make ends meet.... No idea why but to this day she’s put up with me and we are married 31yrs, my son turns 31 next year!
i Said to myself I’ll do this for 18mths, never like the job when I started, travelling everywhere with unrealistic KPI and KRIs to achieve..... 36yrs later in still doing it! During this time, technology changes and I when I like back it’s WOW is this what it’s become.... Back in the days they did up to 30copies a minute, all analog tech and only B&W.... Now, it’s 135 copies a minute on big industrial presses that operates on 3 phase power, all digital with multiple VCEL lasers with a polygon mirror that floats in a magnetic field that spins 15,000-30,000 rpms....All CMYK colour, some are injet on continuous feed.
However that said, the reprographics is a dying industry with paper usage changing and reducing 12-16% year-year. Thanks to SSD and tablets where manuals are all electronic....And then there’s the WWW, internet!

shellback

Audio Company
What got me into this hobby was my old man rocking the old JBL L100's on his Kenwood receiver as a kid.

Did a stint in the Navy as an aircraft mechanic (structural fabricator) traveling the world drinking, chasing women, and trying not to get put in jail.

After that I started my career as a field service engineer on turbine bypass valves, traveled the world commissioning power plants, and troubleshooting control issues.

Currently, I design and specify severe service control valves for numerous applications including turbines, compressors, large VPSA plants (O2 generation), and various other industries. The other hat I wear is designing large scale steam systems for universities, hospitals, etc.

Think I like most about my job is every day is different and no application is ever the same.

Hobbies include being a gun nerd and Jiu Jitsu. Most of my other "hobbies" pertain to my kids coaching their wrestling team, wakeboarding, skiing, mountain biking and whatever else they can get into.

job: thermofluids engineer...

We speak the same lingo. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that different from a gun nut?
Could depend on what you want to eat: EX. a .22 or .17 cal. for squirrel, opossum & such, Deer will require something bigger (and their are a number of handgun calibers that can deal with deer & sometimes bigger animals if you can be stealthy enough to get close), do you want feral pig or wild boar, bear or elk. It all depends on what you like to keep in your freezer (and how you like to hunt: up close & personal) or at a distance. They each have their own challenges. As for me, I'll avoid the COVID-19 filled air in the supermarkets (and have the right tool [the proper gun for the job to obtain the meat I want outdoors) and I'll buy my veggies, fruits, honey & such at the farmers markets (if I didn't grow it myself). I think that is a conservationist. Which is likely not the same as a "GUN NUT".

shellback

Audio Company
Is that different from a gun nut?
I guess it depends on how you define gun nut. My interests and training revolve around protecting my family and loved ones.

I train frequently and have attended numerous self defense gun classes, edged weapons, hand to hand and criminal psychology classes to better understand predators.

To give you a better idea of the style of training look up Shivworks.

Top Bottom