• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

WilliamHines

I like studying time management!
First things first: start by finding out where your time goes throughout the day. There is often a big discrepancy between your subjective time and reality. With this data, you can easily find areas to improve and set your goals: https://onplanners.com/planners/best-planners-goal-setting . For example, you may spend too much time sitting in unproductive meetings or attending to low-priority tasks.

61qCsaYFCFL._SL1000_.jpg

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need to get defensive. I was just curious and not judgmental at all. I've asked other gun owners the same question and most of the time the answer was a non-answer.

I don't play golf but j get your point.

Probably because they've learned that most people have been programmed to stigmatize them regardless of facts. I got into firearms 7 years ago. Thanks to social media, upon posting about it. Dozens of people I grew up with would message me angry messages after every tragedy, and literally blame me for them. I grew up with them in NYC, so it was understandable, it's how we were educated. My family owned firearms in NYC, grandfathered in from the early 80s. My mother grew up in a police family, and my father served, so I was raised that firearms were just tools. Only as evil as the user of that tool. But being in NYC, access to firearms, especially for hobby purposes was difficult and expensive.

ayane

Forum Donor
I'm an educator (and a barista when I'm not in school) looking to be a fitness coach, musician, and maybe a professor or researcher in some kind of research institution.

I like digital audio, retrogaming and emulator development, DSP programming for audiovisual applications, nail art, and motorcycles!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Day job: I am an enterprise architect who designs VoIP phone systems and contact centers. I have a degree in computer science and engineering and started my career as a software engineer.

Hobbies: Audio, movies, reading, cooking, traveling and home design. I’d like to get more into DIY Audio. I’ve enjoyed tinkering on cars in the past and may try my hands at a kit car after I retire.

Martin

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Retired here, audio is a somewhat distant fourth these days to cooking, Chinese brush painting, and golf. OTOH I love to help out others on problems just to keep the analytical side of the brain working.

BTW even the sight of a real gun incites a gag reflex, this has been true for decades and I don't know the reason.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The sad thing about my life is that the first thing that came to mind was "MORELS!!!!"

Equally sad for me, as I read your post and thought you were referring to the speaker driver company...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's even sadder. (Never been a fan of their drivers)

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Day job: diagnostic medical sonographer, specializing in echocardiography. I do ultrasound exams on the heart.

Hobbies: home audio, home theater, and powerlifting. It was an easier hobby when I first started..its pretty easy to get strong when you are very weak. As in literally, I got stronger every workout, 3x/week. Now, it takes several months of smart training, good nutrition, good recovery(sleep), and a little luck(not getting sick), to add a very small amount of weight. Very much a multi faceted hobby that requires tremendous dedication, commitment, physical and mental will power. So basically I find it very challenging not only physically but mentally and also intellectually due to the intricacies of programming and nutrition as you become a more advanced lifter. Being strong is also a very healthy lifestyle as it keeps ones metabolism high, prevents injury, and keeps one independent into very advanced age. I was inspired in part by a Canadian powerlifter who is now well past 80 years old, just a little skinny old man, about 150 lbs soaking wet who can still lift over 400 lbs!

I currently compete in the 183 lb weight class at a height of 5'8" tall. Yep, I'm about 30 lbs overweight according to BMI haha.

The main reason I took up this hobby is so that buying clothes would be the most excruciatingly difficult task one could ever imagine. Just bought a pair of dress pants...its an hour drive away and just made my third trip to attempt getting them tailored to fit properly.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
My day job is to assess administrative structures and find obscure, convoluted risks in investment deals being considered by institutions. (I'd rather do something else.)

I was a heavy academic for a time, on track to become a professor in the humanities. Burnt out/got fed up at some point and puttered around bartending and such until a friend recommended me for a temp desk job. I was eventually hired on the cheap because I can read and write like a machine.

My hobbies have been the same for years: going out, eating and talking, finding new music and making studio mixes (mostly ambient music), finding and reading old books. This place I found accidentally, and it suits me well enough to be my daily hobby since I joined.

I don't have technical knowledge (all the real engineers can tell) other than what I've picked up by knob twiddling, reading or thinking about things.

I contribute to ASR in whatever way I can because what's being done here is important.

Tks

Major Contributor
CAD/CAM Dental Technician: Braces, crowns, implants, veneers, dentures, basically anything to get your teeth working/looking like you want, I made it. The dentist simply buys it off me and charges you five times the actual price.

Hobbies: Motorcycling/Photography (former), Games (retro, modern, you name it), Audio (recently as most can tell), Computing devices and electronics more and more in general (wish i knew a tenth of what some people know here), ASR (seeing our resident geniuses here preach and teach) :-}

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Analog IC design engineer working on non-volatile memories (currently NAND). I work mainly with CMOS.

hobbies: watching tv / Netflix. Maybe someday I’ll design my own headphone amp...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I work for a big technology megacorp as a product marketing director for a couple billion dollar business line for a specific type of computing in the cloud.

hobbies beyond audio: cooking, analog watches, beer, comic books, olympic weightlifting, hunting, forestry management on my property, my dog, my cats, my wife, venture investing, traveling, attending live symphony and jazz, sitting on donor committees for local symphony, jazz, and public radio

Top Bottom