• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

Guermantes

Cool. Was indeed wondering whether your nick was a reference to Proust!
Re-reading the Search at the moment and in the middle of Swann in Love. A long way to go yet . . .

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm now retired, after a career in the Broadcast Industry, mostly audio, but some forays into TV and Transmission.

My interest in audio started when I was bought a Philips record player for my 11th birthday. This was one of the earlier transistorised players, which ate U2 batteries at an alarming rate. It wasn't the in-car player, but a 'briefcase' unit with a detachable loudspeaker/lid. It went everywhere with me, and I discovered that if I removed the spring that reduced the tracking weight to something sensible, such that it now tracked at several pounds rather than grams, it would work on the school bus, even over the worse bumps. I ignored the swarf of vinyl that came off the stylus, it made a noise, and the Beach Boys never sounded so good. (they certainly didn't ever again after being played once.)

After University, I was offered a job designing professional audio electronics, studio mixers, high-speed tape duplicators, test tape calibrators, that sort of thing. Couldn't believe my luck at landing a job that allowed my to do my hobby and get paid for it. A couple of changes of employer, but still designing stuff, latterly Outside Broadcast TV Vehicles. Then, I noticed that the salesmen were having a far better time of it than the engineers, so wanting some of that, transferred to sales. Spent the next 20 years in various commercial roles, travelling the world. Had a short spell as a HiFi Dealer when I wanted a break from the Corporate rat-race, but was spectacularly unsuccessful as I refused to sell anything that didn't make proper engineering sense, so ignored all the 'flavour of the month' products that keep dealers in business.

Retired at 55 when I'd had enough of airports and hotels and changing business methods and loyalty.

Since then, I volunteer to do the engineering for our local Community FM station, some live recordings, and fiddle around with audio electronics, designing the odd (sometimes very odd) bits of electronics. My wife and I play Croquet twice a week and travel around Europe, mostly by car...hate airports, if we can't drive there, we won't go.

S

nonsynchro

Technician in the operating room. It's a long way from my maths and computer education, truck driving, working in the mines in Western Australia and a stint in the army reserves firing 105mm Howitzers. I really got no idea who or what dafuq I am. Maybe I'm just an aloof Netherlands born Australian who likes some music and gear.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just a programmer guy. Not very interesting work honestly, looking for something more engaging/challenging, but need to build up some more experience and work on my tolerance towards the boring/menial, I guess. I think those that truly love what they do each day are either quite lucky or worked very hard to get there :) so, a work in progress.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just a programmer guy. Not very interesting work honestly, looking for something more engaging/challenging, but need to build up some more experience and work on my tolerance towards the boring/menial, I guess. I think those that truly love what they do each day are either quite lucky or worked very hard to get there :) so, a work in progress.
I can get you spotting screw heads at work , this will be most excellent for your desire to “ work on my tolerance towards the boring/menial” .

My job is as repetitive as it’s possible to be, I turned it into a sport then when I’d mastered it turned it into a dance. A kind of meditation through movement, transcending beyond my (the) ‘self ‘ becoming perpetual motion.

But I’m certified weird so this might not work for you :)

cjfrbw

I'm a slothful retiree. Don't talk to me about no stinkin' jobs.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At the moment doing my graduate internship, for the study Forensic Research. In Februari I will hopefully have my bachelor's degree.
Really have no idea what to do after that, besides want to get to know myself more and finding my place in this world.

Got interested in HiFi because I love the emotional effect a good music system in combination with good music, can give me. It also gives an opportunity to spend time with my dad. :)
Mainly listen to headphones though, because I haven't got goods speakers and listeningroom yet.

Other hobbies: photography, making music. I have never made a good song, but I do want to make an album once in my life. Also very busy with a youth group, bringing youth together through seminars and sportevents.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I can get you spotting screw heads at work , this will be most excellent for your desire to “ work on my tolerance towards the boring/menial” .

My job is as repetitive as it’s possible to be, I turned it into a sport then when I’d mastered it turned it into a dance. A kind of meditation through movement, transcending beyond my (the) ‘self ‘ becoming perpetual motion.

But I’m certified weird so this might not work for you :)

C'mon, the truth is you simply like getting plastered. :eek:

Last edited:

esm

Forum Donor
Let's see:
  • Computer science by education.
  • Keyboard operator by trade.
  • Have done a little bit of everything across a bunch of companies and industries: infrastructure operations, software engineering (mostly backend and infrastructure, some embedded work), sales, marketing, bizdev, answering the phone, cleaning the kitchen.
  • Mostly a good-for-nothing these days; I've been on "extended hiatus" from industry, which if I'm being honest with myself will probably end up turning into retirement.
  • On-again-off-again love affairs with photography, metalworking, small electronics. I embrace chasing shiny things.
  • I love making cars go faster than they're supposed to (both building and driving: mostly automotive fuel delivery and engine tuning, and I can mostly follow along when someone smart is discussing suspension systems, but I'm hopeless if someone starts talking about aero). Nothing professional like @Frank Dernie, mostly just helping friends doing drag/standing mile and some low-key NASA events, and trying to keep myself shiny side up and off the walls at local tracks. Hopefully someday my project car will move under it's own power again.
  • An inexplicable growing interest over the last few years in the nuts and bolts of sound and the effect good audio engineering can have on people. I have a similar weird interest in lighting and space configuration. Maybe I should have gone into interior design or architecture instead.
  • I make lists.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I work at a dog daycare. I'm currently saving money so I can take the courses necessary to become a Registered Veterinary Technician in California. I'm not going to lie though, I'm happy with my current job, it's emotionally satisfying.

My hobbies are music and travelling. There's rarely ever a moment that goes by that I'm not listening to music, even my travels to other countries (Canada and Taiwan) were music related. My interest in audio is driven my obsessive need to listen to music haha

bakker_be

Flemish baker, pastry cook, chocolatier, ice cream maker by education, after contracting some kind of product allergy 6 years into a 25-year mortgage for my own bakery I stopped that activity an began looking for a job in two other fields where I felt able to make my living: transport and IT.
First job I found was a second line IT support function, outsourced to the biggest Belgian electricity provider. Today 18 years later I'm still in outsourced to the same customer, although it's been taken over by a French multinational along the way, but I've evolved autodidactically towards an IT project management function (currently have a 5.000.000€ windows 10 migration project underway, half of which is my scope, the other half my French colleague).
Hobbies include: reading (mainly SF, fantasy, Scandinavian Noir, about 80 books a year), listening to music, attending concerts, good food, good beer, good wine, cooking. Since about year I also write CD and concert reviews together with a friend (mostly metal & hard rock, metalheads.be). I also volunteer as crowd support steward at just about every major music festival in Belgium. Trying to stay fit at 50 is also part of my pastimes, attempting to bicycle and swim a couple of times a week.
My musical tastes run very wide: although hard rock and metal have been a steady staple since my very early teens, my collection includes just about every genre from A capella to Zouk ;) My only rule when it comes to music is: does it "speak" to me? And whether it's some guy playing a stick and a gourd or a symphonic orchestra or anything in between really doesn't matter then ...
Back when I still had the time and the spare means I was into building speakers, installing in-car entertainment systems (geared towards fidelity, not the typical boom cars) with custom enclosures replacing factory speaker placements and stuff like that. I haven't owned a car in 18 years, so ...

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Work, whats that? I am a trust fund adult.

Grave

I am a professional Russian colluder, I get all my money from Daddy Putin.

Reactions: JRS

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Flemish baker, pastry cook, chocolatier, ice cream maker by education, after contracting some kind of product allergy 6 years into a 25-year mortgage for my own bakery I stopped that activity an began looking for a job in two other fields where I felt able to make my living: transport and IT.
First job I found was a second line IT support function, outsourced to the biggest Belgian electricity provider. Today 18 years later I'm still in outsourced to the same customer, although it's been taken over by a French multinational along the way, but I've evolved autodidactically towards an IT project management function (currently have a 5.000.000€ windows 10 migration project underway, half of which is my scope, the other half my French colleague).
Hobbies include: reading (mainly SF, fantasy, Scandinavian Noir, about 80 books a year), listening to music, attending concerts, good food, good beer, good wine, cooking. Since about year I also write CD and concert reviews together with a friend (mostly metal & hard rock, metalheads.be). I also volunteer as crowd support steward at just about every major music festival in Belgium. Trying to stay fit at 50 is also part of my pastimes, attempting to bicycle and swim a couple of times a week.
My musical tastes run very wide: although hard rock and metal have been a steady staple since my very early teens, my collection includes just about every genre from A capella to Zouk ;) My only rule when it comes to music is: does it "speak" to me? And whether it's some guy playing a stick and a gourd or a symphonic orchestra or anything in between really doesn't matter then ...
Back when I still had the time and the spare means I was into building speakers, installing in-car entertainment systems (geared towards fidelity, not the typical boom cars) with custom enclosures replacing factory speaker placements and stuff like that. I haven't owned a car in 18 years, so ...
So the ASR European gathering could be at a Belgium metal festival, presumably with back stage privileges..

Im free.

Top Bottom