• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

Katji

Major Contributor
04:07 and I've been here since p1, quite a while. :rolleyes: Blown away! :D Many programmers and SW engineers and so on, and some who like firearms...

...honourable member Helicopter new post just popped up, and talking about a NATO calibre, just what I'd been thinking about... :D (...if 556 refers to 5.56)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
04:07 and I've been here since p1, quite a while. :rolleyes: Blown away! :D Many programmers and SW engineers and so on, and some who like firearms...

...honourable member Helicopter new post just popped up, and talking about a NATO calibre, just what I'd been thinking about... :D (...if 556 refers to 5.56)
I am referring to the model numbers of my Swiss semiauto rifles, but yes, the 556 and 556xi are named for the 5.56 NATO cartridge for which they, and the 550 and 551 are chambered.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chemical engineer by education with MS in business. Started working in Silicon Valley as a process engineer making IC's in fab (my first forray at Signetics was the Atari game ROM's). Switched to marketing some years later and eventually threw in the towel after two decades to start my own biz as an Investment Advisor. Managed over $100M for clients and businesses for more than two decades before selling my business last year. My wife has contracted a terminal disease and my life is better spent making up for all the lost years i spent on my business and not enjoying my time with her.
I played semipro baseball and college and finally had to quit playing all together at 55 since all the cartilage in my right shoulder (I pitched) is completely gone. I am now just a full time professional trader and investment market resource to those that want to learn and capitalize on extracting money and building wealth from the markets. My proudest accomplishment is being one of only ~1800 people in the world with a CMT credential.
Part of what i learned is that to be successful in the markets is its 90% mental and the other 50% a data driven process. When i came to ASR what resonated, and why i go no where else, is its data driven and so much of what is peddled in audiophilia is our weakest link, the 90% mental part.
Funny how investing and audiophilia intersect at the same place.
I am here mostly to learn since this site has some very intelligent, experienced resources that have taught me a lot by following their posts. I thank you all
Immensely sorry about your wife. This pandemic has mine in Guam & me 8000 miles away for 2 & 1/2 years already (plan was for 1 or the other of us to go back & forth from time to time). She recently sent her car to me (a two month + process). That means that, if things work out, we will be back together by mid-summer. I was on ships year round for the first 15 years of our marriage, so we will also be making up for lost years. May you have fair winds and following seas.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am referring to the model numbers of my Swiss semiauto rifles, but yes, the 556 and 556xi are named for the 5.56 NATO cartridge for which they, and the 550 and 551 are chambered.

Not really my cup of tea, but I noticed some years ago at the Las Vegas shot show
1612486020246.png
enthusiasts
similar to audiophiles attending another Hifi oriented show.

Dayjob: tradesman, work mostly in nuke plants doing construction/maintenance and banging my head on things trying to get around in a rad protection suit.

Hobbies: aspiring fiction writer, love audiobooks and mma

fivepast8

Forum Donor
Not really my cup of tea, but I noticed some years ago at the Las Vegas shot show View attachment 110613 enthusiasts
similar to audiophiles attending another Hifi oriented show.
As a reservist, you are issued the gun while in training and then get to keep it for good. As I am not even required to do target shooting anymore (under 42 yo it was a yearly drill) the gun is more of a burden to keep safe than a pleasure and I am considering to return it. As others have eluded, the marksmanship can be a thrill. I missed my "batch" by two points during a four week challenge.
Nonetheless, I am for strict gun laws and ensuring that only well trained and sane people can own guns makes sense to me. Let's return to audio.

jannek

Dayjob: Engineer drivetrain development at a big motorcycle manufacturer.

Hobbies: Hifi (really?) and Competition Car Audio (Sound Quality), sport shooting (air rifle), photography, mountain and outdoors

The Dragon

Forum Donor
Which rockets, and which muscle cars? If the cars are Oldsmobiles they might be rockets too.

Currently, I am working on NASA's SLS rocket avionics. I did at one time have an Oldsmobile rocket, and a very rare one at that. It was a 1965 Jetstar I with a 435 HP 425 c.i.d. V-8. A big lead sled two-door hardtop with bucket seats, console and enough chrome to blind you on a mildly-sunny day. I learned about "switch pitch" torque convertors with that car as it had a dual stall speed torque convertor on a turbohydramatic 400 transmission with the obligatory "12 bolt" positive traction rear end/differential. Easily one of the very finest driving vehicles I have ever had the pleasure driving - unless you wanted to take a tight corner. I was quite young when I purchased it from the neighbors who were the original owners. I stupidly sold it because I had to use octane booster to run the factory high compression engine without severe knocking and was afraid I was going to ruin the pistons. It found a good home as the owner of the Dells Jetstar Inn in Dells, Wisconsin drove down to Alabama to buy it from me. He drove it back up to Wisconsin to add to his collection. He called me a few years later to tell me he did a frame off restoration and it turned out beautifully. It is a dark blue with a medium blue interior. I really miss that one.

Other muscle cars I have owned are a 1964 Pontiac GTO (Grenadier Red, 389 tri-power, 4-speed), 1965 Pontiac Ventura 2+2 (428 V-8 and 4-speed), 1967 Corvette Stingray convertible (427 tri-power - 4 speed manual), 1969 Pontiac GTO (400 auto), 1970 Dodge Charger R/T (440 Magnum auto), 1978 Pontiac Trans Am (400 auto), 1980 Turbo Trans Am, 1989 Firebird Formula (5-speed), 1993 Formula (LS6, 6-speed manual). I started driving Cadillacs after a while and have continued driving them for many years now. For a fun weekend car, I have a 2018 Corvette Grand Sport auto. Now I have my eye on a Challenger Hellcat. Either that or a new Cadillac CT-6V with the supercharged LT-1 V-8). I wish I had kept at least one or two of the old ones. Especially the '67 Stingray.....

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently, I am working on NASA's SLS rocket avionics. I did at one time have an Oldsmobile rocket, and a very rare one at that. It was a 1965 Jetstar I with a 435 HP 425 c.i.d. V-8. A big lead sled two-door hardtop with bucket seats, console and enough chrome to blind you on a mildly-sunny day. I learned about "switch pitch" torque convertors with that car as it had a dual stall speed torque convertor on a turbohydramatic 400 transmission with the obligatory "12 bolt" positive traction rear end/differential. Easily one of the very finest driving vehicles I have ever had the pleasure driving - unless you wanted to take a tight corner. I was quite young when I purchased it from the neighbors who were the original owners. I stupidly sold it because I had to use octane booster to run the factory high compression engine without severe knocking and was afraid I was going to ruin the pistons. It found a good home as the owner of the Dells Jetstar Inn in Dells, Wisconsin drove down to Alabama to buy it from me. He drove it back up to Wisconsin to add to his collection. He called me a few years later to tell me he did a frame off restoration and it turned out beautifully. It is a dark blue with a medium blue interior. I really miss that one.

Other muscle cars I have owned are a 1964 Pontiac GTO (Grenadier Red, 389 tri-power, 4-speed), 1965 Pontiac Ventura 2+2 (428 V-8 and 4-speed), 1967 Corvette Stingray convertible (427 tri-power - 4 speed manual), 1969 Pontiac GTO (400 auto), 1970 Dodge Charger R/T (440 Magnum auto), 1978 Pontiac Trans Am (400 auto), 1980 Turbo Trans Am, 1989 Firebird Formula (5-speed), 1993 Formula (LS6, 6-speed manual). I started driving Cadillacs after a while and have continued driving them for many years now. For a fun weekend car, I have a 2018 Corvette Grand Sport auto. Now I have my eye on a Challenger Hellcat. Either that or a new Cadillac CT-6V with the supercharged LT-1 V-8). I wish I had kept at least one or two of the old ones. Especially the '67 Stingray.....

If you want handling out of a Classic American Muscle/Luxury car: a front mid-engined (the front of the crankshaft [inside the engine, not the balancer] is behind the front axle centerline) Pontiac Grand Prix 69-72 model would be a great starting point ("Most '69 GPs [-72] had a cracked fan shroud from all us mechanics leaning on it trying to service the engine," advised Ron (Panzer). "The engine is so far back from the grille, you had to climb on the bumper and lay on that shroud. It is a royal pain to service that engine... fan belts, water pump and hoses are all tough to reach.") (an SJ model ups everything about it [& a step further: [from {Hot Rod magazine's
Rocky Rotella writer
Aug 14, 2007}
HURST'S SSJ package. It was combined mostly with either a white or black exterior and incorporated gold accents that beautifully set off the Grand Prix's styling highlights. We also learned that some dealers even went as far as cloning the SSJ package)
The 455 option could be had with 500 lb/feet of torque at 2700 RPM. The 1972 suspension was optimized for radial tires (& 15's became the std. wheel diameter). Stock appearing Rally style 15" wheels are available in sizes up to 10" widths. While some body parts are hard to find, it is easy to plan a stock appearing build that will run in the 13's 1/4 mile and corner with (or out corner) Corvettes from that era (and even newer ones). Turbo 400's (change the trans fluid every 2 years) & Muncie close ratio 4 speeds where the Trans choices. Many OD transmissions (some with paddle shift on the steering wheel options) [or a Doug Nash with a 1 to 1 fifth] can be made to fit.

Hilltop

Forum Donor
Safety and security service tech for large commercial customers. Access control, cameras etc. Hobbies are fly fishing and collecting and listening heavy metal LPs.
Video games in the Winter since nothing else to do.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1972? HURST PONTIAC SSJ
1612717019522.png

Cider

Software engineer (fake engineer :) ). Hobbies are woodworking, mountain biking, running, and competitive dog obedience.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PTA by day, photographer, motorcyclist, skier, dog-lover and hopelessly optimistic audiophile the rest of the time. And I shoot as well.

chrisgtl

Field Service Engineer for X-ray Spectrometers and Arc Spark Spectrometers. Techy person, loves the seaside and countryside. Coffee. G&Ts. Liverpool FC and Warrington Wolves. Audiophile. I have two brother and sister cats; I called him Walter and he cooks. Ha! No idea how I got away with that one from the 'BOSS'.

Just got into Bitcoin (not mining).

kejar31

Day Job - IT Systems Architect for a hospital/health system.

Hobbies include 3D printing, messing with my theater / watching movies, listening to music, going out for beer/whisky with wife and friends (damn covid) and just hanging out with the family (4 kids)

Valhalla

My dayjob is about urban natural gas pipelines construction and maintenance. This is about cathodic protection. I work for NIOC (National Iranian Oil Company). I've been reading and experiencing about room acoustics and loudspeaker design principles in my free times for past 13-14 years. Actually it all started after inheriting an old Klipsch LA Scala from my late grandpa when I was a kid. During the years I designed loudspeakers as a freelance designer for some local small manufacturers for variety of applications and this led me to have experience of working with countless models of speaker drivers from "almost" every company ever manufactured loudspeaker drivers on the planet.
As hobbies I love listening to music. I like horns. My vision is to startup my own loudspeaker manufacturing company with well equipped acoustic laboratory, anechoic chamber and an acoustically well designed and built demo room.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm an associate professor at the field of EE (power electronics). I only work 16 hours a week, which gives me plenty of time to do nothing...
What, no papers to grade or lectures to prepare? :oops:

Top Bottom