• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

paulraphael

I'm a writer (copy / content / UX etc.) and a visual artist (photography). I make more money with the former, get more attention with the latter.

Some hobby-ish things: running around in the mountains ... I used to do a lot of alpine climbing, and now do more hiking and trail running. Music ... I learned bass guitar when I was 29, and played in a quite terrible band in NYC; now I mostly jam occasionally with my girlfriend or mutual musician friends, or with famous dead people on the stereo. Food ... I used to run an underground restaurant in Brooklyn; now I consult pastry chefs and shop owners around the world on ice cream science and recipe development.

I got interested in audio when I was a teenager and my big brother became an audiophile. I'd go shopping with him and listen to stuff at boutique-like shops that felt like shrines. Remarkably, this affliction has saved me gobs of money over the years. I developed a taste for things I couldn't afford, and a distaste for what I could—so I just never bought anything, save for the occasional self-consciously unpretentious boom box or equivalent that I'd find second-hand. By the time I had a real income and could afford a real stereo, I'd lost my obsession with it, and so didn't go crazy.

Since then I've been humbled by many, many ABX tests. I'm also an amateur science junky, which makes it awkward to talk audio with most people in most corners of the audio world. And my dabbling in music-making has led to dabbling in recording and mixing. I find that using a DAW, even if you barely know what you're doing, is incredibly illuminating. Stuff that I used to attribute to magic I now see as the result of baked-in eq, or room acoustics. I learned that it takes a lot of distortion to get my attention, but just a wee bit too much energy between 2khz and 5khz, and my ears are unhappy.

Anyway, thanks to the pandemic, I've been getting reacquainted with my somewhat neglected music collection. To do this I needed headphones, because everyone's in the living room / dining room / studio / my office / her office basically all the time. Shopping for headphones meant learning about them—and then headphone amps, and DACs, and fletcher-munson curves , and fourrier transforms .... and now instead of procrastinating over there (or there, or there, or there ... ) I'm here.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
chicken aficionado, woodworker and retired veterinary orthopedic surgeon. i waste time building stuff for our two chickens, neither of which lay eggs. I waste money buying audio stuff that is "better" than the audio stuff i already have

View attachment 110177
nice work. Is that in Davis?

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Chemical engineer by education with MS in business. Started working in Silicon Valley as a process engineer making IC's in fab (my first forray at Signetics was the Atari game ROM's). Switched to marketing some years later and eventually threw in the towel after two decades to start my own biz as an Investment Advisor. Managed over $100M for clients and businesses for more than two decades before selling my business last year. My wife has contracted a terminal disease and my life is better spent making up for all the lost years i spent on my business and not enjoying my time with her.
I played semipro baseball and college and finally had to quit playing all together at 55 since all the cartilage in my right shoulder (I pitched) is completely gone. I am now just a full time professional trader and investment market resource to those that want to learn and capitalize on extracting money and building wealth from the markets. My proudest accomplishment is being one of only ~1800 people in the world with a CMT credential.
Part of what i learned is that to be successful in the markets is its 90% mental and the other 50% a data driven process. When i came to ASR what resonated, and why i go no where else, is its data driven and so much of what is peddled in audiophilia is our weakest link, the 90% mental part.
Funny how investing and audiophilia intersect at the same place.
I am here mostly to learn since this site has some very intelligent, experienced resources that have taught me a lot by following their posts. I thank you all

so sorry about your wife...take care

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so sorry about your wife...take care
That is nice, thank you.
Hopefully it wont be the thing that kills her and she dies of natural causes before her disease does her in. She has time but this damn Covid is stopping us from making the most of whatever time is left

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That is nice, thank you.
Hopefully it wont be the thing that kills her and she dies of natural causes before her disease does her in. She has time but this damn Covid is stopping us from making the most of whatever time is left
That is tough, but as I am sure you know, it is the company that we keep that makes the time special so being together under any circumstances is wonderful and I hope the two of you have many more years together.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, gyno, acne, and going bald have never made it up very high on my list of priorities somehow. :p
And don't forget the shrunken 'nads

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Attachments

• inside small.jpg
    inside small.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 135
  • mail box small.jpg
    mail box small.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 147
  • porch3 small.jpg
    porch3 small.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 123

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chemical engineer by education with MS in business. Started working in Silicon Valley as a process engineer making IC's in fab (my first forray at Signetics was the Atari game ROM's). Switched to marketing some years later and eventually threw in the towel after two decades to start my own biz as an Investment Advisor. Managed over $100M for clients and businesses for more than two decades before selling my business last year. My wife has contracted a terminal disease and my life is better spent making up for all the lost years i spent on my business and not enjoying my time with her.
I played semipro baseball and college and finally had to quit playing all together at 55 since all the cartilage in my right shoulder (I pitched) is completely gone. I am now just a full time professional trader and investment market resource to those that want to learn and capitalize on extracting money and building wealth from the markets. My proudest accomplishment is being one of only ~1800 people in the world with a CMT credential.
Part of what i learned is that to be successful in the markets is its 90% mental and the other 50% a data driven process. When i came to ASR what resonated, and why i go no where else, is its data driven and so much of what is peddled in audiophilia is our weakest link, the 90% mental part.
Funny how investing and audiophilia intersect at the same place.
I am here mostly to learn since this site has some very intelligent, experienced resources that have taught me a lot by following their posts. I thank you all
I'm sorry to hear of your wife's illness but the time you're spending with her now is that silver lining we hear so much about.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I manage fixed income portfolios for a variety of institutional customers-mutual funds, sovereign wealth funds/central banks, insurance companies, endowments, pension funds, and individuals.

Since a process change I initiated with a colleague, We’ve had significant performance success vs peers, with several funds/composites ranked in the top few percent of a large, competitive universe for short and long time frames. How did we do it? Very much like ASR, we methodically eliminated all the BS that had accumulated in our profession. Just like audio, it was difficult to do because the BS is what clients and executives in management often like to (can) focus on, and they expect you to do the same, without realizing it hurts performance. We focus relentlessly on a few, data-and-analysis-driven techniques that work reliably, not making grand predictions and wild-ass guesses. Sort of a “Moneyball” approach.

Some fairly big names in my field laughed at us when we started managing money this way. They don’t laugh now. That’s been satisfying.

I attended music school (Berklee) in my 20s, and played professionally in small jazz ensembles for a while. I also studied Japanese and spent some time there. I travel a lot now (or pre-pandemic) , to Asia and the Middle East. I attend a lot of concerts (again pre-pandemic) in NYC where I live.

I can afford the audio equipment I want now, even as I’ve found so much relatively inexpensive stuff that is superior to the kilobuck gear. Same thing happened with cars. I used to say I would get a Porsche when I hit a certain income threshold. I passed that threshold 20 years ago. I drive a Subaru now.

In other news I’ve struggled with occasional acute depression. My wife of 34 years was diagnosed in 2018 with an incurable lymphoma that is in remission for the time being. It took some pretty awful treatment to get there, but some other patients have gone decades before relapse.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I manage fixed income portfolios for a variety of institutional customers-mutual funds, sovereign wealth funds/central banks, insurance companies, endowments, pension funds, and individuals.

Since a process change I initiated with a colleague, We’ve had significant performance success vs peers, with several funds/composites ranked in the top few percent of a large, competitive universe for short and long time frames. How did we do it? Very much like ASR, we methodically eliminated all the BS that had accumulated in our profession. Just like audio, it was difficult to do because the BS is what clients and executives in management often like to (can) focus on, and they expect you to do the same, without realizing it hurts performance. We focus relentlessly on a few, data-and-analysis-driven techniques that work reliably, not making grand predictions and wild-ass guesses. Sort of a “Moneyball” approach.

Some fairly big names in my field laughed at us when we started managing money this way. They don’t laugh now. That’s been satisfying.

I attended music school (Berklee) in my 20s, and played professionally in small jazz ensembles for a while. I also studied Japanese and spent some time there. I travel a lot now (or pre-pandemic) , to Asia and the Middle East. I attend a lot of concerts (again pre-pandemic) in NYC where I live.

I can afford the audio equipment I want now, even as I’ve found so much relatively inexpensive stuff that is superior to the kilobuck gear. Same thing happened with cars. I used to say I would get a Porsche when I hit a certain income threshold. I passed that threshold 20 years ago. I drive a Subaru now.

In other news I’ve struggled with occasional acute depression. My wife of 34 years was diagnosed in 2018 with an incurable lymphoma that is in remission for the time being. It took some pretty awful treatment to get there, but some other patients have gone decades before relapse.
Sorry to hear of your wife's illness and your depression. I hope music brings you both peace, serenity and joy, as it does so many of us during trying times.

fivepast8

Forum Donor

Thank you for sharing the good and also the not so good parts of your life. We need to be much more progressive about mental health topics. Wishing both you and your wife all the best.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing the good and also the not so good parts of your life. We need to be much more progressive about mental health topics. Wishing both you and your wife all the best.

Thanks. It's easier to admit now. Especially since I've become more adept at recognizing and treating it when it happens, and I've made my way through a few episodes without screwing up anything permanent. I'm also 57 and making money for the firm, "so fire me". If I stumble, they will sack me anyway.

Depression sucks when it happens, tho. I'd rather have root canal. All Day.

As for Margi's cancer- one in three of y'all are dealing with something similar in you or a loved one, I'd wager, so we're in this together. Thank you medical technology: if she had got it 15 years ago she'd be dead after this interval. They are turning even the worst cancers into chronic, but livable, conditions rather than death sentences. We have a heightened sense of our time together.

fivepast8

Forum Donor
I manage a start-up that designs and fabricates tunable lenses for all sorts of optical applications including consumer photography. Formal education includes an electronics engineering degree, PhD in Physics and MBA. I also had the tremendous fortune to have worked and lived on five continents thus soaking up all the diversity and culture possible. This lead to an tremendous appreciation of music (and food) from around the world.

The hobby was instilled by my old man who one day walked in with some Revox gear costing a whole month's salary, resulting in a huge fight with my mom about that "unnecessary" expense. He looked at me and advised: "If you ever want to own nice gear, you gotta get it before marriage". And thus I ventured into hifi early on. To my parents defense, they were not sexist as my sisters both own more expensive gear than me (Accuphase:confused:).
I only had to borrow money once in my life (other than for houses) and Audiophilia was that cause. As a graduate student in Palo Alto in 1992, I bought my first real system, consisting of incredibly expensive (to me) Proceed CD player, small Bryston 2B Amp and Linn Speakers all inside my budget of 7k or so. When the sale was concluded, the sales guy asked, if he should add some Cardas interconnects and speaker cables? For good measure he recommended tri-wiring the speakers. Without hesitation or even asking about the cost, I agreed :facepalm:. Little did I know that I had just bought some plastic and copper for over $1200!:mad: driving my account deep into the redo_O!

The Bryston amps have come in handy with their 20 year warranty and ruggedness as I have been shipping them around the world, and twice back to Canada for upgrade (110-->220V) and repair!

ASR has confirmed my own discovery such as not wasting anymore money on cables, that cable length differences cannot be heard, or that good amplifiers sound the same. Most of my audio gear is vintage, the rest is purchased second hand, and carefully selected. I am know learning to play with REW and room acoustics and how best to drown out the cow bells:p

I'd like to thank Amir and all the fellow contributors for their relentless dedication to this hobby. Mine are skiing, mountain biking, hiking, stand-up paddling when not listening to music, either live or reproduced. And oh, yeah, being Swiss I own an automatic assault rifle :eek: SIG 510, seems like having a gun is cool:cool: in this threat.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I like here at ASR, it's not just gear and measurements as some may think.

It's about beer, pizzas, cars ... it's about life.
It's balanced and has a certain ... harmony;)

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That's what I like here at ASR, it's not just gear and measurements as some may think.

It's about beer, pizzas, cars ... it's about life.
It's balanced and has a certain ... harmony;)
Oh the emotional French, ever so effusive and poetic. I spent some time in the south of your lovely country (Aix en Provence and surrounding region). I now cannot tolerate poor baguette or patisseries.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I manage a start-up that designs and fabricates tunable lenses for all sorts of optical applications including consumer photography. Formal education includes an electronics engineering degree, PhD in Physics and MBA. I also had the tremendous fortune to have worked and lived on five continents thus soaking up all the diversity and culture possible. This lead to an tremendous appreciation of music (and food) from around the world.

The hobby was instilled by my old man who one day walked in with some Revox gear costing a whole month's salary, resulting in a huge fight with my mom about that "unnecessary" expense. He looked at me and advised: "If you ever want to own nice gear, you gotta get it before marriage". And thus I ventured into hifi early on. To my parents defense, they were not sexist as my sisters both own more expensive gear than me (Accuphase:confused:).
I only had to borrow money once in my life (other than for houses) and Audiophilia was that cause. As a graduate student in Palo Alto in 1992, I bought my first real system, consisting of incredibly expensive (to me) Proceed CD player, small Bryston 2B Amp and Linn Speakers all inside my budget of 7k or so. When the sale was concluded, the sales guy asked, if he should add some Cardas interconnects and speaker cables? For good measure he recommended tri-wiring the speakers. Without hesitation or even asking about the cost, I agreed :facepalm:. Little did I know that I had just bought some plastic and copper for over $1200!:mad: driving my account deep into the redo_O!

The Bryston amps have come in handy with their 20 year warranty and ruggedness as I have been shipping them around the world, and twice back to Canada for upgrade (110-->220V) and repair!

ASR has confirmed my own discovery such as not wasting anymore money on cables, that cable length differences cannot be heard, or that good amplifiers sound the same. Most of my audio gear is vintage, the rest is purchased second hand, and carefully selected. I am know learning to play with REW and room acoustics and how best to drown out the cow bells:p

I'd like to thank Amir and all the fellow contributors for their relentless dedication to this hobby. Mine are skiing, mountain biking, hiking, stand-up paddling when not listening to music, either live or reproduced. And oh, yeah, being Swiss I own an automatic assault rifle :eek: SIG 510, seems like having a gun is cool:cool: in this threat.
I admire the Swiss reserve system. I have a 556, and a 556xi which are semi auto 551s that use STANAG magazines, the later is also ambidextrous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom