• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is wrong with the HD800S? Needs EQ? Some Say Yes Others No

Does the HD800S Need EQ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

DRKSHDW

I am considering the HD800S after demoing it. Upon doing research I have found very conflicting information. As a for instance, Rtings.com give it their top choice for open back studio monitoring headphones with a high sound neutrality rating. I have also read on this website and other forums that it needs EQ and is not recommended without it.

I have also read that the HD800S does not respond well to EQ.

It is interesting that there does not seem to be a clean consensus on this headphone. I also find it surprising that Sennheiser would release a headphone that would be in bad need of EQ as it is a higher-end model.

So what gives? I am coming from loud speakers and I don't typically see such widely varying opinions, especially from well-known and respected sources?

I came here for an amp recommendation and fell down a completely different rabbit hole.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never read that. It's bogus anyway.
find it surprising that Sennheiser would release a headphone that would be in bad need of EQ as it is a higher-end model.
Nearly all headphones benefit greatly from the use of EQ/PEQ. To go without is not wise.

OP
D

DRKSHDW

Are there eq profiles for the HD800S that can be downloaded? I intend on using Sound Source unless there is a better app.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am considering the HD800S after demoing it.
When you liked what you heard demo it again. When you still like it buy it.

Nonsense, there are some people using incorrect EQ and don't like it.

Some like it without EQ, some prefer it with some EQ or a specific EQ.

It is interesting that there does not seem to be a clean consensus on this headphone. I also find it surprising that Sennheiser would release a headphone that would be in bad need of EQ as it is a higher-end model.
There is no concensus on every headphone so ... just trust your ears.. when you like it you like it. You are the one that has to listen to it. Who cares what other peoples opinions are.

I came here for an amp recommendation and fell down a completely different rabbit hole.
Welcome to the hell that is audio... with more nonsense than accurate info.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So what gives? I am coming from loud speakers and I don't typically see such widely varying opinions, especially from well-known and respected sources?
The diminishing returns effect starts earlier and hits harder with headphones. When looking at >500€ headphones you get a TON of excellent options and with EQ the differences tend to be subtle, even if you invest many thousands. When this is the case, aficionados need to exaggerate the differences to have debates.

Well, it isn't that different with speakers if you only compare items in same class e.g. bookshelves.

staticV3

Master Contributor

MRC01

Major Contributor
With the HD800 (and the S, to a lesser extent), whether it "needs" EQ depends on how sensitive you are to (1) response spikes in the 6-7 kHz range, and (2) progressive bass attenuation from around 100 Hz on down. This varies a lot from person to person, due to personal preferences and HRTF variations.

... I also find it surprising that Sennheiser would release a headphone that would be in bad need of EQ as it is a higher-end model. ...
<snarky> The more you know about high-end audio, the less surprised you would be </snarky>

PabloT

I am considering the HD800S after demoing it. Upon doing research I have found very conflicting information. As a for instance, Rtings.com give it their top choice for open back studio monitoring headphones with a high sound neutrality rating. I have also read on this website and other forums that it needs EQ and is not recommended without it.

I have noticed that It's not uncommon to see varying opinions on headphones, even from respected sources. I think this has to do with individual HRTF and coupling issues. That being said, and as other posters have noted, the HD800S respond tremendously well to eq, the distortion is low enough and the channel matching is excelent. For me they are the best headphones i´ve heard after eq with the exception of their bass, which is still quite good honestly. I own and highly recomend this pair.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never tried to eq them, because I don't see a need. Best headphones I've tried by a mile and then some. But headphones are to a certain degree personal, more than speakers, so basically only your ears can decide.

oleg87

The best approach will always be to try them and see for yourself. I think they’re overpriced and sound worse than much cheaper headphones. Other people love them and think they have some kind of magical soundstage (which I do not perceive). Individual HRTFs are probably the difference.

OP
D

DRKSHDW

SoundSource is great for Mac.
I'd start with this EQ profile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsp3jucy5lsty0m/Sennheiser HD800S.pdf?dl=0

You'll have to convert the PDF into a PEQ txt yourself, like I did here.
It's really simple though. Just download the txt I created and change the values according to the HD800S PDF.
This EQ profile is preloaded into SoundSource or is it different?
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 1.06.02 PM.png

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Other people love them and think they have some kind of magical soundstage (which I do not perceive).
Are you sure? Every time I listen to "wide soundstage" headphones the effect is similar: the sound is coming further away from my ears, say a few centimeters.

I think that some people just appreciate that effect more than others. I'm more like "yeah, I guess that is kind of neat".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure? Every time I listen to "wide soundstage" headphones the effect is similar: the sound is coming further away from my ears, say a few centimeters.

I think that some people just appreciate that effect more than others. I'm more like "yeah, I guess that is kind of neat".
It better than nothing for sure. If it gets you further from the source then that must be better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom